Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1314353 times)

Motto

Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #1590 on: December 19, 2017, 04:23:44 AM »
Chris doesn't give anything much thought, so that's no argument at all.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1591 on: December 19, 2017, 05:39:35 AM »
Latest patch discussion is a Gold mine of hilarity. I like that one guy who said:

Is it me or do they always only fix bugs I never even noticed?:-)

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/4/thread/star-citizen-alpha-3-0-0ao-ptu-691578-patch-notes
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Kyrt

« Reply #1592 on: December 19, 2017, 06:08:16 AM »
I remember it in XWing and Wing Commander 3.
Freespace ditched it.

For me that control is not really useful during combat, i prefer to choose the ship or the components before the mission.

It's a fairly standard mechanic that - done properly - adds a little bit of tactical thinking to combat. You prioritise speed, firepower or defence and switching to the correct mode can either emphasise your play style, compensate for your weakness or allow you to react to the game environment as needed.

It works fairly well in ED for example.

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #1593 on: December 19, 2017, 07:58:01 AM »
CIG fixes bugs they are able to fix. Whatever backers notice doesn't fit that criteria.

Flashwit

« Reply #1594 on: December 19, 2017, 09:33:20 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but I can only imagine that opening up mobiglass and requesting landing/takeoff every friggin' time is going to get old real quick.
Chris doesn't get that 'exactly like real life' doesn't equal fun. People play games so that they don't have to go do boring stuff, not so that they can simulate waiting in line at the DMV.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1595 on: December 19, 2017, 10:09:17 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but I can only imagine that opening up mobiglass and requesting landing/takeoff every friggin' time is going to get old real quick.
Chris doesn't get that 'exactly like real life' doesn't equal fun. People play games so that they don't have to go do boring stuff, not so that they can simulate waiting in line at the DMV.

It's cute that you think that's the only annoying and shitty thing going on in the "game". That's nuthin'.  :laugh:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1596 on: December 20, 2017, 08:49:10 AM »
I am laughing so hard right now.Ben Parry is at it again. Star Citizen is so innovative that games going back DECADES, have had volumetric fog and clouds. Heck, even Silverlining which we use & is supported in UE4, Unity etc is super awesome!

So basically, either impostors or a skybox. :)

N0mad

« Reply #1597 on: December 20, 2017, 09:08:58 AM »
I'm not entirely sure that Ben Parry understands what he's talking about. The good news is that both Cryengine and Lumberyard support volumetric fog:

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/latest/userguide/rendering-graphics-fog-volumetric.html
http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDOC2/Volumetric+Fog

Depending on which engine their lawyers say they are using today.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 09:12:38 AM by N0mad »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1598 on: December 20, 2017, 09:12:41 AM »
I'm note entirely sure that Ben Parry understands what he's talking about. The good news is that both Cryengine or Lumberyard support volumetric fog:

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/latest/userguide/rendering-graphics-fog-volumetric.html
http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDOC2/Volumetric+Fog

But I guess CIG are rapidly rewriting everything so that they can claim to be using their own custom built engine when they get to court.

Of course he does. The engine supporting it, has nothing to do with the game actually implementing it. I am having a Twitter thread about that right now.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1599 on: December 20, 2017, 11:41:18 AM »
They are going to be selling, uhm, a TANK

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1600 on: December 20, 2017, 11:47:13 AM »

Motto

« Reply #1601 on: December 20, 2017, 11:52:29 AM »
Don't forget to read the disclaimer  :D

Bubba

« Reply #1602 on: December 20, 2017, 12:11:19 PM »
It's not a simple jpeg guys. They've got the same "crashed ship" model they always use in the foreground and the background, forming a road. Take one drawing of the chassis, clone it, use some high-contrast lighting to obscure the craptacularity, draw in some track tracks, and "heat blur" everything. Wow, and it supposedly comes in two colors: tan and white (shown: white "texture"). And you can buy this for only 95 bucks! Think of those epic tank battles you could have!

Seriously, does someone have a ranking of the most pathetic RSI promo materials? This one is pretty sad, and (from my limited engagement) I thought they usually made promotions that at least look good. Have there always been stinkers like this, or are we looking at desperation as we approach the Event Horizon?

N0mad

« Reply #1603 on: December 20, 2017, 12:19:14 PM »
It looks like a pic that an artist did in a single day.

Was this tank thing ever mentioned before or did Chris decide on Monday that they were out of cash and a tank could be done quickly?

DemonInvestor

« Reply #1604 on: December 20, 2017, 12:26:40 PM »
I get the heavy feeling they're trying to switch to a World of Tank business model.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk