Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1314043 times)

jwh1701

Re: Star Citizen - General
« Reply #1830 on: February 18, 2018, 12:15:29 PM »
LOL!! You are aware that they are used to be lied to, right?

Ya LOL, they certainly seem to glaze over no matter what happens. But I always believed the more you tell the harder things will get. I really believe they cannot keep up the false pretenses something has to give sometime. But then again I found only one thread and two comments on spectrum expressing displeasure concerning the state of the game and the new ship sale.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1831 on: February 19, 2018, 06:14:55 AM »
Spectrum is mostly for the true believers.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1832 on: February 19, 2018, 01:22:24 PM »

Calling All Devs - Persistence and Scamming Scanning

4:30 - Remember all that stuff chris said? We can backpeddle that anytime we want because making games is hard https://youtu.be/BIJtzjUsf08?t=238

4:50 - 'no plans to implement multiple character slots in 2018' https://youtu.be/BIJtzjUsf08?t=292

8:00 - I can't tell you when mining or salvage is coming but its in game right now just disabled. https://youtu.be/BIJtzjUsf08?t=509

9:50 - Any news at all about the Banu Merchant? Uhh bad news guys its not being worked on at all atm. We need more RESOURCES https://youtu.be/BIJtzjUsf08?t=587

12:20 - "I'm a shill, I'm a shill" https://youtu.be/BIJtzjUsf08?t=736

15:50 - Soon we'll have a form for getting a CIG employee on your podcast https://youtu.be/BIJtzjUsf08?t=948

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1833 on: February 20, 2018, 06:44:38 AM »
This was HUGE enough for an article.

http://dereksmart.com/forums/reply/6239/
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:42:01 AM by dsmart »

StanTheMan

« Reply #1834 on: February 20, 2018, 07:24:16 AM »
They sold themselves as knowing what they were doing - the best in the industry.

The reality is that Backers have paid Roberts to train himself (in the most inefficient and arrogant way ) to be in a position to try and develop an MMO of yesteryear in three time the time it would have taken an actual MMO developer to have done the same.

Along the way he has lied about what he is doing, what he can do and his and his teams level of expertise whilst slagging off the rest of the industry.

Dishonest, self serving C^^T !

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1835 on: February 20, 2018, 07:26:59 AM »
Well he's not the one doing the work. He's the PR front man and lie machine. Him, Erin, Tony, Sean and all his public facing leads, get to make claims that the devs later figure out they can't fulfill.

the_wolfmann

« Reply #1836 on: February 20, 2018, 07:29:23 AM »
Seriously?? That's probably the most amateurish first-pass implementation they could've come up with in terms of network scalability. There are so many disadvantages and I can in no way see them bridging this up to their "final" end-game implementation without starting from scratch... Just another example of them trying to keep appearances with the masses.

Let me take a step back and see if I got this right. They are doing a first-pass just now...?! Weren't they working on their mega-sharding system all this time? So at first it seems there is supposed to be one server per geographical region (US, EU, etc) that handles all the people in the specific game region (whatever dumb names CRobblers came up for their shithole procgen crapfests)? But what happens when they launch this crap and everyone wakes up in their wankpods? This game might as well go into the Guiness records for negative FPS counters... That's where the multiple instances of Stanton come into play. Essentially they're trying the water for the instanced approach after finally realizing it's impossimble for them to develop whatever they dreamt up in their pipe dreams. Then why bother with sub-regions of a solar system... unless that's the only way to mitigate the piss poor performance the game has right now?

Fuck this game and anyone that buys into this kind of bullshit as some proof that the game is being properly developed by an experienced team.

N0mad

« Reply #1837 on: February 20, 2018, 07:34:18 AM »
I'm not surprised.

Programmers are expensive and take a long time to get things done. The more programmers you have, the less money Chris has for yachts, and the stuff they do can't really be shown to the backers, it's not exciting.

But artists, they're less expensive, and even better they can make lots of shiny renderings and tech demos with which to wow the backers. Which means more money for yachts, and more money from backers.

The inevitable result is: your game looks great, but runs like shit.  Well done Chris.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1838 on: February 20, 2018, 08:07:21 AM »
Seriously?? That's probably the most amateurish first-pass implementation they could've come up with in terms of network scalability. There are so many disadvantages and I can in no way see them bridging this up to their "final" end-game implementation without starting from scratch... Just another example of them trying to keep appearances with the masses.

Let me take a step back and see if I got this right. They are doing a first-pass just now...?! Weren't they working on their mega-sharding system all this time? So at first it seems there is supposed to be one server per geographical region (US, EU, etc) that handles all the people in the specific game region (whatever dumb names CRobblers came up for their shithole procgen crapfests)? But what happens when they launch this crap and everyone wakes up in their wankpods? This game might as well go into the Guiness records for negative FPS counters... That's where the multiple instances of Stanton come into play. Essentially they're trying the water for the instanced approach after finally realizing it's impossimble for them to develop whatever they dreamt up in their pipe dreams. Then why bother with sub-regions of a solar system... unless that's the only way to mitigate the piss poor performance the game has right now?

Fuck this game and anyone that buys into this kind of bullshit as some proof that the game is being properly developed by an experienced team.

Yes. All of that. It's fucking hilarious.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1839 on: February 20, 2018, 02:21:21 PM »
LOL!! Someone made a pretty version. Meanwhile, it's now Feb 20th and 3.1 which is supposed to be out by 03/31, has 19 tasks pending, with only 1 completed.

David-2

« Reply #1840 on: February 20, 2018, 04:25:23 PM »
Not sure things are as dire as you think.  Server meshing is on the schedule for Q4 this year!.  That's only 10 months out ...

[Damn, just snorted Diet Coke out my nose, just rereading that after typing it.  It stings!]

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1841 on: February 20, 2018, 04:30:31 PM »
Not sure things are as dire as you think.  Server meshing is on the schedule for Q4 this year!.  That's only 10 months out ...

[Damn, just snorted Diet Coke out my nose, just rereading that after typing it.  It stings!]

:emot-laffo:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1842 on: February 20, 2018, 04:40:31 PM »
Chronicles of Elyria lead dev, who, like me, knows nothing about game development.

A: We've never said that it would. In addition to which, a distributed OS like SpatialOS doesn't solve that problem. Whether we used SpatialOS or our own spatial partitioning system it's important to understand the differences between horizontal and vertical scale-out.

Horizontal scale-out is the ability to support a bigger world. With a bigger world you can also support more players. So long as they're spread out. As soon as players start to cluster in one location you're talking about vertical scale-out, which is a bigger problem to solve as you're fighting physics.

As players gather in the world, the load on the individual servers as well as your clients at home increases. We can procedurally sub-divide the server around that location in order to lessen the load, but at some point, there's so many processes running on individual servers that the network traffic and latency actually starts causing the simulation to perform more poorly. That's why it's easier to get 100,000 players in a single world than 1,000 players in a single neighborhood.

And - even if we could subdivide the servers enough to solve the back-end problem - could your PC process the client-side load of updating and rendering 1,000 players on-screen?

In the end, there's a lot of work to do to optimize CoE, but the hardest optimization problems aren't solved through horizontal scale-out or even sub-dividing the world into smaller and smaller chunks. It's solved through understanding of the game mechanics and experience optimizing client engine code like UE4 - something we have experience with.

Bubba

« Reply #1843 on: February 20, 2018, 07:45:53 PM »
I'm sure there are plenty of people happy to have them spend all that time polishing their helmet. Hell, watching some of them on YouTube, I'm pretty sure the SC community has quite a few professional helmet polishers who spend hours a day honing their craft, and they are quite clear, contrary to "professionals" like those quoted here, who couldn't lift a feather to their skills, that polishing one's helmet (or hood) is a time-consuming and iterative process.

GaryII

« Reply #1844 on: February 21, 2018, 02:50:20 AM »
LOL!! Someone made a pretty version. Meanwhile, it's now Feb 20th and 3.1 which is supposed to be out by 03/31, has 19 tasks pending, with only 1 completed.

My SC dev forecast for year 2018:

History will repeat itself in 2018...in reality SC will have yearly content patch like in 2017..

So in summer 3.1 will be released, that will contain minor content additions some fixed bugs and even more new bugs..

in xMas holiday 3.2 will be released, that will have more content and even more new bugs...   

btw SQ42 promised roadmap for 2018 is still MIA...so no progress for SQ42 in 2018?!   

Funding in 2017 was on small decline so in 2018 it should take bigger hit...   
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 05:04:50 AM by GaryII »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk