Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1315411 times)

N0mad

Re: Star Citizen - General
« Reply #1845 on: February 21, 2018, 06:46:45 AM »
I'm sure there are plenty of people happy to have them spend all that time polishing their helmet. Hell, watching some of them on YouTube, I'm pretty sure the SC community has quite a few professional helmet polishers who spend hours a day honing their craft, and they are quite clear, contrary to "professionals" like those quoted here, who couldn't lift a feather to their skills, that polishing one's helmet (or hood) is a time-consuming and iterative process.

Perhaps they could add helmet polishing as a mini game that players can do in their sleep pods?

GaryII

« Reply #1846 on: February 21, 2018, 06:58:22 AM »
Perhaps they could add helmet polishing as a mini game that players can do in their sleep pods?

so I guess CR now is playing this game:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1847 on: February 21, 2018, 07:01:23 AM »
My SC dev forecast for year 2018:

History will repeat itself in 2018...in reality SC will have yearly content patch like in 2017..

So in summer 3.1 will be released, that will contain minor content additions some fixed bugs and even more new bugs..

in xMas holiday 3.2 will be released, that will have more content and even more new bugs...   

btw SQ42 promised roadmap for 2018 is still MIA...so no progress for SQ42 in 2018?!   

Funding in 2017 was on small decline so in 2018 it should take bigger hit...

Sounds about right.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Flashwit

« Reply #1848 on: February 21, 2018, 10:58:21 AM »
I have to say, they've really pushed themselves into a corner with all these ship sales. I would have to imagine that literally anything else is more important than further work on Ships/Vehicles and Weapons/Items but they keep selling the damned things.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1849 on: February 21, 2018, 11:28:47 AM »
I have to say, they've really pushed themselves into a corner with all these ship sales. I would have to imagine that literally anything else is more important than further work on Ships/Vehicles and Weapons/Items but they keep selling the damned things.

That's how they raised all this money. So yeah, it makes sense for them to keep doing that.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1850 on: February 21, 2018, 03:36:52 PM »
Ah yeah, good times.

Chris Roberts on Multiplayer, Single Player and Instancing - 2012

So the “magic” of Star Citizen’s multiplayer design is how we combine a persistent universe with a more traditional (and easier to implement) temporary multiplayer “battle” instance.

The way it works is that the persistent universe server, which we’re calling the Galaxy Server, keeps track of all players’ assets, group relationships and locations inside the Star Citizen universe. As the Galaxy server isn’t handling any realtime action it can handle our complete player base, which right now would be about 45,000 players, but is designed to be able to scale to millions if need be. The other key thing the Galaxy Server does is dynamically place players based on their location, skill level, alignment and player versus player (PvP) preference into battle instances. Think of a “battle” instance like a Battlefield 3 multiplayer session or a World of Tanks Battle with the key difference that the selection of players is done transparently and is “in fiction”.

:emot-laffo:

It's incredible to me that back in 2015 I said backers were going to be paying for a Gold box, but would end up with a cardboard box - with no lid.

Suckers spent $180M on a game which we now know, in the right hands, could have been built for about $20M.

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #1851 on: February 21, 2018, 04:12:19 PM »
Crytek could have made it with 2 million Euros.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1852 on: February 21, 2018, 05:14:45 PM »
Crytek could have made it with 2 million Euros.

I believe it.

David-2

« Reply #1853 on: February 21, 2018, 07:46:52 PM »
It's really amazing - when he says "As the Galaxy server isn’t handling any realtime action..." he's describing peer-to-peer.  Like you've said that ED was built to do in the first place.

So here he is six years ago describing how their "Galaxy Server" is being built (he's speaking in present tense) but we know that from the very first release to now that isn't what they were building at all.  Otherwise why would they have been blathering for years about network culling and all the rest of the networking B.S.?  (And promising networking improvements in 2.0, 3.0, 3.n ...)

And it isn't even like it's in some video you have to dig up by watching hours and hours of old vids.  It's right there in a text on his site!

I've been watching this trainwreck on this site for 2 1/2 years now and I'm still here with my mouth hanging open at the amazing blatant lying and incompetence going on - and that's just CIG, doesn't even begin to describe what's going on with the backers ...

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1854 on: February 22, 2018, 05:49:44 AM »
It's really amazing - when he says "As the Galaxy server isn’t handling any realtime action..." he's describing peer-to-peer.  Like you've said that ED was built to do in the first place.

So here he is six years ago describing how their "Galaxy Server" is being built (he's speaking in present tense) but we know that from the very first release to now that isn't what they were building at all.  Otherwise why would they have been blathering for years about network culling and all the rest of the networking B.S.?  (And promising networking improvements in 2.0, 3.0, 3.n ...)

And it isn't even like it's in some video you have to dig up by watching hours and hours of old vids.  It's right there in a text on his site!

I've been watching this trainwreck on this site for 2 1/2 years now and I'm still here with my mouth hanging open at the amazing blatant lying and incompetence going on - and that's just CIG, doesn't even begin to describe what's going on with the backers ...

Yes, all of that. And yeah, he's been lying this whole time.

N0mad

« Reply #1855 on: February 22, 2018, 04:38:38 PM »
SQ42 update! I can't believe these guys:

It's a space sim, so what do they spend all their time doing? Trying to make a real life simulator for all the NPCs on the ship. They pre-script all the tech demos, but when it comes to the game Chris Roberts needs it to be like The Sims. Just look at the debug info at 32.00 - each NPC has stats like morale, reliability, virtue, hygiene, sustenance and fatigue. No wonder they haven't released the game yet if they're making everything this complicated.

Also pushing the ship sales hard at the end I noticed.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1856 on: February 22, 2018, 04:41:25 PM »
SQ42 update! I can't believe these guys:

It's a space sim, so what do they spend all their time doing? Trying to make a real life simulator for all the NPCs on the ship. They pre-script all the tech demos, but when it comes to the game Chris Roberts needs it to be like The Sims. Just look at the debug info at 32.00 - each NPC has stats like morale, reliability, virtue, hygiene, sustenance and fatigue. No wonder they haven't released the game yet if they're making everything this complicated.

Also pushing the ship sales hard at the end I noticed.

More insanity.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1857 on: February 22, 2018, 06:12:41 PM »
We like Phil. So it bothers me that I was laughing so hard at the fact that they have a LEAD DESIGNER reading off a f*cking cue card during an update on a project he SHOULD know about.

Motto

« Reply #1858 on: February 23, 2018, 10:11:09 AM »
They probably were afraid that he might give the incorrect answers. Sticking with the lie is the most important part at the moment.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1859 on: February 24, 2018, 08:24:21 AM »
So in the latest schedule roadmap, Network Bind Culling (CIG totally made that up btw) has been moved - again. This time from 3.1 (scheduled for end of Mar - maybe) to 3.2 (end of June - maybe)

Needless to say, the tribe - who actually don't have a fucking clue what that optimization actually means or entails, are upset.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7zrndp/so_bind_culling_pushed_to_32_dammit/

9 months ago:

13 months ago:

15 months ago:

Those chuckleheads are in for a surprise.

1) I am 99% certain that CIG won't be able to implement it. At least not as planned. They will probably half-ass it, and it won't make any difference either way. As a result, both performance and networking will continue to suck and be sub-par. But they're totally making an MMO though.

2) I wrote about this MONTHS ago. Yet they're somehow shocked its been moved again. It was first scheduled to be coming in 2.6 - back in 2016.

DEC 2017 http://dereksmart.com/forums/reply/6078/
OCT 2017 http://dereksmart.com/forums/reply/5949/
JUL 2017 http://dereksmart.com/forums/reply/5501/

As I've written before, CIG is once again just making up bullshit names for standard tech so that it looks like they're actually inventing new things. And backers get to foolishly think they're paying for innovation.

Whatever it is CIG is wanting to do, here is a 2014 article that explains Network Traffic Culling.

UPDATE

Clive has responded on Spectrum

We decided it was necessary to push Bind Culling back for the following reasons:

1) Progress has been slower than we had hoped, partly due to taking longer than anticipated to convert the last few places in the code that were using old-style Aspects and RMIs to Serialized Variables and Remote Methods, and then completely strip those legacy systems from the network code. That was a necessary step because we didn't want to have to implement Bind Culling for both the old and new systems. I'm not embarrassed to tell you there was some dancing and a few air-punches on my part when the last line of that old code was deleted.

2) There wouldn't have been enough time left before 3.1 for the network and gameplay programmers to deal with the issues we’re expecting the introduction of Bind Culling to cause.

3) Bind Culling would result in clients streaming entities in and out based on distance, but without asynchronous Object Container Streaming it was always a gamble whether the resulting synchronous loading stalls would be worse or better than what players experience now. The plan was to get Bind Culling working, see what the impact on player experience was and then make the call whether to turn it on for 3.1.

4) Range-based Serialized Variable Culling was our backup plan in case Bind Culling didn't make it into 3.1. You may remember that we were working on SV Culling for 3.0 but that it wasn't quite ready in time. Well, it was the first thing we tackled when we came back at the start of the year, and has been working in our development branch for several weeks now (not the branch 3.0.1 was taken from). SV Culling already gives us a lot of the performance gain we would expect from Bind Culling so the urgency for the later has dropped significantly.

5) The network team is needed for other tasks that have increased in priority since they were first added to our schedule.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 07:31:19 AM by dsmart »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk