Author Topic: Elite Dangerous  (Read 84145 times)

krylite

Re: Elite Dangerous
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2020, 09:45:42 PM »
LOL!! That's brilliant.  :grin:

Thanks. Not my carrier, but back then while checking out the LTD mining hostpot, I saw someone named their fleet carrier so, and I couldn't resist screencapping it  :grin:

As for recent ED developments, we must have heard by now of the recent "dev diary #1" video by Frontier for ED:Odyssey. There was also a livestream pertaining to the diary. As usual the SC shilling came out with a few pretty disparaging ED videos along with shill toxic yt comments, but I think it's just a sign the shillizens and cultitsts nervously know the cig ponzi's time left is increasingly more visibly numbered. o7

Looks like the planetary terrain engine has been upgraded. Looks nice. FPS tool and shows player character looking and stretching up. The lady principal programmer is credited as a phd in physics, another astrophysicist on staff. I like how they continue to emphasize realistic science showing new plausible flora.

Braben gives a little talk starting at 1:24

« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 09:53:03 PM by krylite »

krylite

« Reply #121 on: August 31, 2020, 08:40:18 PM »
"Frontier debuts new publishing label Frontier Foundry"

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-08-28-frontier-debuts-new-publishing-label-frontier-foundry
https://www.frontier.co.uk/news

Meanwhile a desperate shill for/at CIG tries to post something somehow about CIG "selling" assets, "dev expertise", or publishing related,
to third party independent dev clients. No doubt trying to (pretend to) "keep pace" with ED and Frontier as always.  :emot-laugh:

(https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/ijynix/i_am_rolling_in_laughter_insane_theorycrafting/)

-----

A lot more hinted at coming with ED:O revealed in an independent interview by a redditor: (https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/ijux7o/odyssey_interview_lots_more_upcoming/)

And his web article here: (https://wccftech.com/elite-dangerous-odyssey-interview-from-the-darkness-of-space-to-the-light-of-uncharted-planets/)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 08:42:26 PM by krylite »

krylite

« Reply #122 on: September 29, 2020, 10:54:05 PM »
Awesome! o7!

My jaw is still lost dropped on the floor.
So Burrpit's comments on the dev diary #2 , "Choice", words and summarizes it well.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 09:18:41 AM by krylite »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2020, 06:34:18 AM »
Slowly killing the Star Citizen dream bit by bit
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

krylite

« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2020, 06:40:43 PM »
Here we go, 4k trailer of Odyssey "in-game footage"! (Star Citizen RIP) Wow, amazing. Walking landscapes, atmospherics, fog, awesome looking improved planet vistas, fps smooth combat, all while the galactic and system orbital model still working in place in real time.

krylite

« Reply #125 on: December 11, 2020, 02:36:23 PM »
More analyzed details in the trailer by Burrpit. Lots of details look implemented. Personal shields, various weapons, plenty of player model features and effects, etc.. Besides adding 100+ staff to Frontier this year as reported,  along with cross-dev staff from their other finished games, they had also mentioned hiring some experts experienced with devleloping shooters. Relief that ED's cobra engine with updates is just that powerful and capable. Approaching the visual "fidelity" of cryengine, probably obsolete and inefficient now for whatever SC was trying to do with it for years, with the supposed past visual advantage of cry now being eventually nullified.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 02:41:58 PM by krylite »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #126 on: December 13, 2020, 09:23:00 AM »
Well we knew it was going to trash Star Citizen. Now we have even more proof.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

wiser3754

« Reply #127 on: December 13, 2020, 06:21:55 PM »
Well we knew it was going to trash Star Citizen. Now we have even more proof.

"Hell, it's about time". - Tycus Findley.

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #128 on: December 14, 2020, 07:02:20 AM »
The citizenship response seems to be "you can't walk inside your ship so it is rubbish". I bet ship interiors will get added eventually though. FDev are pretty good at iterating on the game with achievable goals rather than just promising everything and delivering very little of it.

krylite

« Reply #129 on: December 14, 2020, 07:46:32 AM »
Oh, yes. The proof is so good. It must be shaking the sunk-cost shitizens (and the shills) internally in their "boots" knowing they are losing the faux denial game as well as seeing the proof that $400 million was already wasted on this criminalistic ponzi all because of being fooled and the greed and double-down denial of not changing engines and perpetuating a .jpg scam instead by CRobbers. I happened to see "DG360" 's "reaction" video (www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIpDosEUpEM) which was a pathetic fake excuse themed video where he claimed he left ED initially because he felt griefing was not supported enough. big "danger" themed bs. (Anyone can go to the known populated areas and find gankers quickly in open if one wants to challenge them, during more peak playing times of course, but I guess what DG really means, even pretentiously, being able to gank and ambush small fry/seal-clubbing in a bigger ship, lol)  It was obvious he had left because he had dumped ED entirely in favor of SC selling out to cig as a SC shill channel for years.

The citizenship response seems to be "you can't walk inside your ship so it is rubbish". I bet ship interiors will get added eventually though. FDev are pretty good at iterating on the game with achievable goals rather than just promising everything and delivering very little of it.

Exactly. FDev had always been steadily working on ED gradually and with realistic and legitimate operations and consideration, and always kept their financials and business processes square with no funny financials-shell gaming, or predatory marketing and p2w shenanigans, unlike cig. They ignore the naysaying, rather let it percolate on their official boards by pathetic trolls who "play" the game of blaming the game and the devs rather than play the game itself. Fdev also worked on Odyssey indirectly with crossdev from their other games PC, JWE and PZ. Horizons mainly got delayed because of the PS4 port challenge, imo. And all still within the 10-year planning for 2015 on, where FDev are gradually fulfilling all the preconcept kickstarter paintings drawn incl. spacelegs, station malls, etc., shown since 2012-4. Frontier licensing out the Bowie song must have been a higher marketing expense investment for them in a very long time.

Here's a "collage" of recent comments on yt in reaction to the gameplay in-game footage trailer. At least plenty of people are wised up to the scam of SC and can recognize that ED is the real deal if they hadn't before, or had forgotten. (first comment is a favorite,  :emot-laugh:  ) Have fun with it, all. o7!

(EDIT: I've updated the collage where it has maybe about double the comments now,  :emot-laugh: , enjoy. )
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 12:18:12 PM by krylite »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #130 on: December 16, 2020, 04:28:55 PM »

krylite

« Reply #131 on: December 17, 2020, 08:41:35 AM »
Awesome! just awesome. I noticed the devs are excited,  talk at ease , and proud about the stuff they've been working on for Odyssey, knowing it's well on it's way to updating as a playable game. While cig "ATV"'s dev clips often seemed like they were stiff, worried, like they were held hostage by CRobs or Sandi!

This was interesting

Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Questions and Answers

yes. A few points that stood out to me. In my lay opinion, it makes sense they decided to responsibly and realistically stick to p2peer networking just like the regular game ship instances. Also honest and no doublespeak about lack of overhangs generation which they might get to later, but shown that FDev priortize realistically and getting the core infrastructure of spacelegs working generally is paramount, (including keeping it all working on potentially tens of thousands of locations per day for players logged on while the stellar forge and galactic, interstellar and orbital system model is still working smoothly always in real time in the encompassing background)  rather than trying to do all the wishes and overpromising all at once. Of course, they'll get to multiple frames of reference of being able to walk inside one's ship while it's moving , and better terrain generation in the future etc. Always too much of the playerbase and general genre audience misled into impatience by scam citizen's overpromising and predatory marketing fibs over the years.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 12:08:02 PM by krylite »

wiser3754

« Reply #132 on: December 17, 2020, 03:32:32 PM »
Peer-to-peer networking runs the risk of hackers discovering your IP address. Red dead online suffers from this as well as modders ruining sessions.

krylite

« Reply #133 on: December 19, 2020, 10:24:56 AM »
Peer-to-peer networking runs the risk of hackers discovering your IP address. Red dead online suffers from this as well as modders ruining sessions.

Concerning. Well, I hope Frontier are aware and have been able to implement and observe some safeguards, especially in anticipation of many more new players arriving with Odyssey. As for myself, I use a firewall at strict or manual control settings, and vpn & alternate IP which is allowed for in a notification option in ED's menu page options, so I think and hope I'm safe enough when I'm in open.

(EDIT: I've updated the collage where it has maybe about double the comments now,  :emot-laugh: , enjoy. )

Thanks Derek!, I saw the collage imgur link mention in your twitter post  :emot-thumbsup: .
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 11:37:38 AM by krylite »

krylite

« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2021, 04:33:21 PM »
The previous fps shooting scenario pre-alpha demonstration with an intro by Braben, shown a couple weeks earlier:

And the following yt comments "collage",  :emot-laugh: :

« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 02:14:06 AM by krylite »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk