Author Topic: Star Citizen Scoops, Musings and Blogs  (Read 330454 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen Scoops, Musings and Blogs
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2017, 11:47:25 AM »
I wrote a quick Star Citizen GC2017 synopsis. It also includes a transcript of Chris's interview yesterday.

Good god, Chris can't even spin the illusion of SQ42 progress anymore to a sympathetic reporter. The idea that they've "got the chapters blocked out" as some kind of major achievement is just ludicrous. What does that even mean?

Oh that's not all. They've had those blocked out since 2015. You know, back when he had just started lying about the status of that game.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2017, 10:18:28 AM »
GAMESCOM 2017 – CHRIS ROBERTS STAR CITIZEN PRESENTATION

As I mentioned in my GC2017 coverage, I am currently writing an article about Chris's presentation, and will post it soon. I don't even know where to begin with it, but suffice to say, that presentation had some unexpected results which solidified my opinions that this game can NEVER been made, and that the project is FUBAR. In fact, PC Invasion has the best summary so far of the disaster that unfolded before our eyes. You can view the full presentation blooper reel below. It contains most of the presentation highlights of Chris's carefully scripted demo mission fails. Yes, this is a six year project developed by over 500 people (both past and present), and which has thus far raised (and probably burned through) over $156M in crowd-funding alone. I have also made public a private (industry friends and peers) post which I made on Facebook.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 10:50:23 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Kyrt

« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2017, 01:19:26 PM »
Good god, Chris can't even spin the illusion of SQ42 progress anymore to a sympathetic reporter. The idea that they've "got the chapters blocked out" as some kind of major achievement is just ludicrous. What does that even mean?

It means he has S42 storyboarded.

However...as I understand the development of S42 and SC, S42 and SC will be sharing quite a bit.

Same engine, same graphics, same netcode, same worlds. Its why they can develop two games at the same time without breaking the team....ok, they do that but the point is there is AIUI a huge amount of crossover in the codebase of the two.

Upside....its going to save a lot of money. They develop large chunks of S42 for free. There'll be differences but siming for minor.

Downside...S42 can't be ready until the engine, flight model, netcode, etc is ready for S42.

Based on the show we got yesterday...not a total disaster but it really should have been much better controlled, tested and stable for a PUBLIC demonstration...I saw lag and sync issues (assuming all parties were on the same network segment and used best PCs possible for performance optimisation, that's quite a feat and speaks to low quality code) as well as graphical and animation issues, not to mention THE  crash....the foundations still need a lot of work.

And they should be doing THAT before cosmetic work such as eye and head tracking, lip syncing and more. I'm not certain how their plans for VOIP  are going to come about given bandwidth considerations either. FOIP is a system that strikes me as something that should be added much later in the development cycle, once the netcode is nailed down and they have some idea of how much free space they have to play with. Right now though, it seems CR saw it in STBC and said "I want THAT in SC" and shifted resources from the important stuff. The engine...animation and graphics....flight model...netcode....

That stuff just runs the game. FOIP means they get to sell webcams!!! See? No need for ship sales

Andrew

« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2017, 01:41:42 PM »
And they should be doing THAT before cosmetic work such as eye and head tracking, lip syncing and more.

That was not a feature. That was a marketing deal. That's why it get's priority, because money.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2017, 04:13:27 PM »
This is a YT video of the Goon chatter on my Discord channel during the GC2017 presentation

GaryII

« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2017, 05:17:50 AM »
That stuff just runs the game. FOIP means they get to sell webcams!!! See? No need for ship sales

I think that this FOIP thing was Sandworn v2.0 - it will never make to the actual game..in case there is a game in the end...

It was just to show off some "cool" tech and to fill time and create hype for cult whales...

Anyway now question is: what is next "cool" tech that they will show off in Citcon...

Motto

« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2017, 05:47:52 AM »
Probably nothing. The only thing to do is to have 3.0 out by CitizenCon. Another (failing) demo with something new without 3.0 will upset all backers. It's time they offer the crowd something tangible. Something they can play with. Problem is, they are soon done playing with 3.0 because there is nothing really new and exiting in or about it. And then what? Then they start whining for 3.1 or 4.0 or whatever. And Chris can't deliver. Will be fun to watch thought :-)

N0mad

« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2017, 06:01:58 AM »
Has anybody seen an analysis of the number of new players who have backed the game over the last few years (I've seen plenty about funding)?

I simply cannot believe that CIG can attract any new backers. I'm sure there will be plenty who will want to play a finished game, but the pool of people willing to spend hundreds of dollars for a jpeg cannot be that large and since SC has been so high profile for so long then that market must have dried up by now. If so, then it can't be long before these big backers stop opening their wallet for every sale without seeing concrete results first. If the Jesus patch is always the "next patch", then surely the funding must start drying up soon.

Just a hypothesis though.

Motto

« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2017, 06:11:53 AM »
That is exaxctly why they invented the Referral Contest. Thus attracting new players who have to start at $ 40,- but hopefully can be persuaded to spend more money, now or later. Chris knows he's taken as much out of the whales as he can. So, only a very high priced concept sale, again, won't cut it. Hence the "pay for an unique ship name try-out"(if succesful, apply to all ships) and the introduction of FOIP. He doesn't care about FOIP, he needs the cash from the company that sells the cams. They pay Chris to gain access to those 1.8 m backers. Boy, will that turn out to be a mistake.

Update player statistics would be nice to see. Can't imagine SC being played much anymore.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2017, 06:31:46 AM »
Has anybody seen an analysis of the number of new players who have backed the game over the last few years (I've seen plenty about funding)?

I just posted a new metrics chart with sign-ups. Will ask our analytics guy for updated citizen count. Last I checked, it was hovering at less than 600K unique accounts.

I simply cannot believe that CIG can attract any new backers. I'm sure there will be plenty who will want to play a finished game, but the pool of people willing to spend hundreds of dollars for a jpeg cannot be that large and since SC has been so high profile for so long then that market must have dried up by now. If so, then it can't be long before these big backers stop opening their wallet for every sale without seeing concrete results first. If the Jesus patch is always the "next patch", then surely the funding must start drying up soon.

Just a hypothesis though.

Notice how they are no longer doing free fly events around shows anymore? It's because they would rather have people pay $45, then see if they would bother to refund or not.

Motto

« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2017, 06:36:11 AM »
Do you have any idea, based on all your intel 'n stuff, how much longer Chris has? At least before the hard signs (like lay-offs) that the ELE is near start showing? Do they make it to Shitizen Con or is that even questionable?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2017, 06:39:46 AM »
Do you have any idea, based on all your intel 'n stuff, how much longer Chris has? At least before the hard signs (like lay-offs) that the ELE is near start showing? Do they make it to Shitizen Con or is that even questionable?

No I don't. Last I heard (that was around the time of the loan), they were in serious financial dire straits and the 3.0 delay wasn't helping.

As of this past weekend, the state of 3.0 remains unchanged (incomplete, bugs, performance issues, needs +6 months to release what's in the dev schedule etc) and the rumors surrounding layoffs (staggered or mass, is unknown) by year end, continue. More people are leaving, than there are being hired. But the information related to their plans for downsizing, is closely held by the top echelon and not likely to leak until people outside that echelon get wind of it. It will leak soon enough. Only a matter of time. I remember when I posted months ago about 3.0, and some people just said my sources were fake, I was making shit up etc. Then the schedule kept shifting; -
 and GC2017 happened. Good times.

Motto

« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2017, 07:00:13 AM »
Yeah, but I need more now. I'm hooked. I want to see the downfall every day now. More and more and more. Show all those White Knights and other idiots that we were right all along. So, gimme. Gimme gimme. Your my pusher now. Give. I want it. I need it. Badly. The re-run of Games Com is wearing off now, I need something new...... I'm fighting the Reddit dragons now  :supaburn:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2017, 07:37:58 AM »
Yeah, but I need more now. I'm hooked. I want to see the downfall every day now. More and more and more. Show all those White Knights and other idiots that we were right all along. So, gimme. Gimme gimme. Your my pusher now. Give. I want it. I need it. Badly. The re-run of Games Com is wearing off now, I need something new...... I'm fighting the Reddit dragons now  :supaburn:

It's kinda like wait for Trump to be impeached  :vince:

Motto

« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2017, 08:27:43 AM »
Yeah, that's the other one that can't happen soon enough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk