Author Topic: Valve takes Steam in a new direction  (Read 11769 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

GeminiJ13

Re: Valve takes Steam in a new direction
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 02:24:58 PM »
I'm confident that Steam's Direct program will be more successful than Greenlight.  I thought that I heard they will be charging persons whom want to submit a game for consideration $100 to do so in an effort to thwart asset flippers and those looking to game the trading card system.  Personally, I feel that Steam should be charging 10 times that amount.  And if the sales of your game exceed that $1000 amount, you get it refunded back to you.  I hope the feedback they get on this new program leads to better games for all of us.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 06:01:30 AM »
I'm confident that Steam's Direct program will be more successful than Greenlight.  I thought that I heard they will be charging persons whom want to submit a game for consideration $100 to do so in an effort to thwart asset flippers and those looking to game the trading card system.  Personally, I feel that Steam should be charging 10 times that amount.  And if the sales of your game exceed that $1000 amount, you get it refunded back to you.  I hope the feedback they get on this new program leads to better games for all of us.

The thing that's a bit confusing is that SD isn't all that different from GL. The latter required $99 fee, and voting by backers. The former requires an upfront $100 payment (recoupable) payment, and approval from Valve. While I don't believe that Valve is all of a sudden going to assign resources to check out every single game submission, I feel that they are going to be doing some vetting of the games. That was something missing from GL, and is the reason that it got such a bad rap.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Ghostmaker

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 08:04:46 AM »
On a side note, so who's buying stuff during the Steam Summer Sale?

Ah, so many games, so little time...  :supaburn:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 09:13:54 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk