Author Topic: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.  (Read 1191288 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.
« Reply #705 on: August 03, 2017, 05:13:22 PM »
Why would switching to Lumberyard be a disaster (save for the cost implications of running the game on amazon servers) ?

Bugs ?

Irreconcilable Differences

CIG made a LOT of changes to CryEngine 3.7 to come up with StarEngine.

Amazon made a HELLUVA LOT of changes to CryEngine 3.7x to come up with Lumberyard.

Then during 2016 - without a word to backers, because they knew it would cause panic - CIG decided to switch. We caught it when they released 2.6 and it had the Lumberyard logo which Amazon requires all licensees to display.

Chris, obviously LYING (again), then claimed "I think it took us a day or so of two engineers on the engine team" when in fact any engineer would know full well that it simply isn't possible to do that.

Then after running forensics on 2.6 files, none of the Lumberyard supporting files were found. So they basically switched from Google Compute to the Lumberyard implementation of AWS.

They've been working on this switch/merge since. Even the dev schedule shows they still can't even get the render-to-texture version from Lumberyard to work right. Sources tell me there are worse things than that going on, and which aren't even noted in the dev schedule since they are too low level.

The time they should spend building the fucking game, six years later, they're pissing around with an engine switch. Hence the delays and the on-going "disaster".
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 05:15:28 PM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #706 on: August 03, 2017, 05:14:06 PM »
CIG started with Cryengine but then re-programmed the Cryengine engine heavily. Lumberyard basically is the same, an alteration of the core Cryengine engine. So now CIG has to reprogram their heavily modded Cryengine code to another altered Cryengine version. That doesn't go down easy, as one can imagine.

It's like I build a house from cement that is made with salt, not sand. Sand of course, is better, but I went with salt anyway. Nobody knows why I did, but I did. Now somebody else builds houses with altered cement too, but they use sugar. Sugar being a good substitute for sand. And now I need to change the cement on the houses I already build. Not clear why I need to do that (probably because of moneyproblems), but I do. However, not by taking the cement out and putting fresh cement in, no, I need to replace the salt in my cement with sugar without removing the cementlayer. And of course, the houses are occupied, so I may not disrupt the owner's comfort whilst doing it. The worst part is, I can't start building the rest of the houses until I have learned how to swap the salt for sugar in my pre-mix. Because I was a little stupid, and I pre-mixed all my cement at once. I could throw that pre-mix cement away, if only I had the money to buy new cement. To keep on afloat whilst I fix my cement problems, I sell people nice pictures of beautiful homes I can build with that cement. I also sell pictures of garages, doghouses, lawns, drive-thru's and I have a special selection of 3D drawn rooftiles that come with holographic features. Unfortunately, I can only sell pictures. The cement problem, that's not fixable.

Love that analogy. And yeah, that's basically it.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

StanTheMan

« Reply #707 on: August 03, 2017, 06:33:06 PM »
So presumably CRoberts is no expert in Cryengine (but hopefully getting there) so who has been advising him what to do ? 

Same with Lumberyard ?

He must be doing his nut.

Surely he knows and is being told it isnt going to work or is he sitting there hoping to hang on to some time in the future when he can say publically that he has to develop an engine himself ?

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 06:47:21 PM by StanTheMan »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #708 on: August 03, 2017, 07:21:38 PM »
Chris has issued a dev schedule Mea Culpa. It's almost as if he's scared. Oh man, GamesCom can't come soon enough.

- Chris attempts heavy damage control but is unable to say when 3.0 will actually come out.
- Studio reports are cut from here on out "so as not to disturb the studios while they work towards 3.0"
- AtV is now going to be a weekly documentary on the development of 3.0. Basically "Road to Citizencon" but every week. The feature is called "Burn Down".
- Chris is a lying toad person and he is now one step closer to being eaten alive by his own fanbase.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 04:53:39 AM by dsmart »

Karmic Cake

« Reply #709 on: August 03, 2017, 11:07:35 PM »
Am I the only one getting "deer in the headlights" here?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 12:16:38 AM by Karmic Cake »

GaryII

« Reply #710 on: August 04, 2017, 12:42:37 AM »
Chris has issued a dev schedule Mea Culpa. It's almost as if he's scared. Oh man, GamesCom can't come soon enough.

After this is clear that v3.0 is nowhere near ready, so now we will have a new show for damage control...

Maybe after all release is in December...one year later then he promised :)   

Motto

« Reply #711 on: August 04, 2017, 04:13:23 AM »
Well, it's clear now, Derek was wrong. He couldn't have been more wrong than the most wrong person in this universe. And all the other universes too. So wrong. So very very very wrong. Did I mention he was wrong? Oh boy, so wrong. Those guys over at Reddit, man they must have a field day with this video from Chris.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 04:15:38 AM by Motto »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #712 on: August 04, 2017, 05:00:00 AM »
Am I the only one getting "deer in the headlights" here?

You noticed, huh? This should be clear to anyone paying attention, that 3.0 isn't even close to ready. It's almost as if I was right all this time; from all the way back in Dec when I said 3.0 didn't exist and that he had been lying the whole time.

After this is clear that v3.0 is nowhere near ready, so now we will have a new show for damage control...

Maybe after all release is in December...one year later then he promised :)   

I have a sinking feeling they will pull a 2.0, and just release it regardless of condition. Problem is, they're damned if they do, and damned if they don't. If they release 3.0 and it's a shoddy mess, they won't recover from that. If they don't release it, well then, we're already seeing the ramifications of the delay.

Today's schedule should be interesting.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/893173364172476416

Well, it's clear now, Derek was wrong. He couldn't have been more wrong than the most wrong person in this universe. And all the other universes too. So wrong. So very very very wrong. Did I mention he was wrong? Oh boy, so wrong. Those guys over at Reddit, man they must have a field day with this video from Chris.

Totally wrong, that guy. I have no clue why anyone pays attention to an old has-been failed developer who has no clue what he's talking about.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #713 on: August 04, 2017, 05:03:05 AM »
*moved*

I think it's safe to say "SC is dead". The delay on 3.0 won't go down well. On the other hand, if you read the utterly moronic comments under the Blah blah blah 3.0 delayed again video, man.

If Chris plays thos epeople well, he can live of SC untill his death.

It's been dead. Just on life support now.

Motto

« Reply #714 on: August 04, 2017, 05:45:27 AM »
Ah, some guy on Reddit starts to wonder:

The pattern has been around since the new style, sometimes we get an ATV 25min long sometimes we get one over 45 min long... I get it thats still cool. I actually had to do a double take to make sure I had not missed something when ATV ended this week. Im sure a lot has happened this week, and the render to texture is a cool feature.... but common.

They spent more time talking about how development is hard to measure, instead of just telling us the issues they are dealing with. This is the very root of the issue so many long standing backers I know have. Just tell us you are are working through this and that instead of just going quiet and vague over the whole thing. That is the whole point of the schedule report and why we all appreciated it so much, to respond as vaguely as this is the exact opposite. The whole schedule is mostly complete now, with only the vaguest idea of "bug testing" showing up, complimented by a 2 week delay with every update. Man up and tell us whats going on, time has shown we will support you through it. Just be honest about it.

Before this ATV I didnt think anything of the delays, but being as vague and avoiding as this over what everyone is waiting to hear has actually made me start to wonder about where CIG really is.

Now, the responses to his remark. Man, if they could throw rocks at him, they would. What is wrong with those people? How blind do you have to be to that you can't see how fucked-up CIG is at the moment? And below the YT vid, comments like, Yeah, they did it again, they build technology that's never been seen before. Stuff like that. Uhhuh, but where is that technology? Not out there where it would prove that statement. Morons.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 05:47:27 AM by Motto »

GaryII

« Reply #715 on: August 04, 2017, 05:59:01 AM »
Now, the responses to his remark. Man, if they could throw rocks at him, they would. What is wrong with those people? How blind do you have to be to that you can't see how fucked-up CIG is at the moment? And below the YT vid, comments like, Yeah, they did it again, they build technology that's never been seen before. Stuff like that. Uhhuh, but where is that technology? Not out there where it would prove that statement. Morons.

Its a cult.

Thats why a believe CIG is still in business, those people will give them last dollar to keep lights ON..thats why I believe CIG can survive this year, too...even if v3.0 is released in December and is a total mess...

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #716 on: August 04, 2017, 06:33:59 AM »

- Chris attempts heavy damage control but is unable to say when 3.0 will actually come out.
- Studio reports are cut from here on out "so as not to disturb the studios while they work towards 3.0"
- AtV is now going to be a weekly documentary on the development of 3.0. Basically "Road to Citizencon" but every week. The feature is called "Burn Down".
- Chris is a lying toad person and he is now one step closer to being eaten alive by his own fanbase.

LOL!! Tippis, and actual dev like myself, over on SA

So.
Wow.
Yeah.

Uhm, Chris.
First of all, it's all faked — it's a video game.
Second of all, it's been done before. All of it. For two decades. By actual programmers working for actual game companies.
Third of all, render-to-texture is something every engine does out of the box these days. Come to think of it, I'm not entirely sure it has moved to the graphics API layer by now.
Fourth of all, creating a “hologram” is just a matter of placing a second model in the world with a alpha layer on it. That would actually make it less fake and more like a hologram than using render-to-texture.
Fifth, making one model mirror what another model does is trivial — it's the same data. I know that pointers and references break the brains of first-time CS students, but come on, man.

Sixth, and finally: you're a fucking idiot hack retard. Go get a job that matches your competence. Like allergy testing of cosmetics and hygiene products (not as part of the testing staff, obviously — that requires the knowledge of how to observe and use a pen).

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #717 on: August 04, 2017, 06:36:00 AM »
Ah, some guy on Reddit starts to wonder:

The pattern has been around since the new style, sometimes we get an ATV 25min long sometimes we get one over 45 min long... I get it thats still cool. I actually had to do a double take to make sure I had not missed something when ATV ended this week. Im sure a lot has happened this week, and the render to texture is a cool feature.... but common.

They spent more time talking about how development is hard to measure, instead of just telling us the issues they are dealing with. This is the very root of the issue so many long standing backers I know have. Just tell us you are are working through this and that instead of just going quiet and vague over the whole thing. That is the whole point of the schedule report and why we all appreciated it so much, to respond as vaguely as this is the exact opposite. The whole schedule is mostly complete now, with only the vaguest idea of "bug testing" showing up, complimented by a 2 week delay with every update. Man up and tell us whats going on, time has shown we will support you through it. Just be honest about it.

Before this ATV I didnt think anything of the delays, but being as vague and avoiding as this over what everyone is waiting to hear has actually made me start to wonder about where CIG really is.

It's cult. Plain and simple.

Motto

« Reply #718 on: August 04, 2017, 07:20:27 AM »
Oh boy, just the opening of that latest AtV. This is the first 3 minutes verbatim:

Sandi: Hello, and welcome to another episode of Around The Verse, our weekly look at Star Citizen's ongoing development. I'm Sandi Gardiner.
Chris: And I'm Chris Roberts.
Sandi: On today's show we take a look at the systems will be using to render holograms and comms in real time.

Chris: Yeah, it's pretty cool so we can't wait to show you guys but first as many of you know the team is very focused on completing our 3.0 update for the Persistent Universe. So 3.0 is a giant leap forward from what's currently available in game and thanks to the dev teams hard work, the majority of 3.0's new features are almost complete and we shifted into the final phase of the production process that focuses on feature and content integration, optimization and bug fixing.

Now, we're also expecting many new players or people who have been busy playing something else to come back in and log in and play 3.0 so we wanted to make sure the user experience is really good so we decided to spend more time polishing and optimizing than we have in recent releases. In addition, we're also aiming to introduce our new delta patcher so you'll only need to download just the files that have changed for each subsequent patch which means no more 30 gigabytes "dev hurts"(?) but of course this will require some finetuning and of lot of testing to make sure it works as intended.

Now we know that 3.0 is a big release and you're all eager to play and we're excited for you to play too and we can't wait to get it done but we wanna make sure that it's ready so if you've read the list of carriots we gave when we first started sharing our internal "unpadded" (?) schedules our very first point was Claude he would always trump schedule and the second and third points about task estimates you know being unpredictable due to the nature of developing something that hasn't been done before and the difficulty of estimating bug fixing and polish time are also important to remember as we go forward with our schedules on finishing 3.0.

So that's why we've seen the constant changes to production schedule over the past few weeks as new issues or advanchements cross our paths we've worked hard to communicate those to you no matter how good or bad the news may be. By it's very nature game development can be an exhilarating and frustrating and unpredictable process so if our 3.0 schedule wasn't that then you wouldn't get the true development experience.

Sandi: You wouldn't.

And then it goes on with more stupidity.

the majority of 3.0's new features are almost complete and we shifted into the final phase of the production process that focuses on feature and content integration, optimization and bug fixing.
As it was last at last year's Games Com, when I announced it.

Now, we're also expecting many new players or people who have been busy playing something else to come back in and log in
Based on? The superior game SC already is?

so we wanted to make sure the user experience is really good so we decided to spend more time polishing and optimizing than we have in recent releases.
Even better still? And what "recent releases"? You actually mean to say that the crap you put out there so far already has had polishing and optimizing done to it?

about task estimates you know being unpredictable due to the nature of developing something that hasn't been done before and the difficulty of estimating bug fixing and polish time are also important to remember as we go forward with our schedules on finishing 3.0.
Basically, we don't have a fucking clue about what we're doing.

So that's why we've seen the constant changes to production schedule over the past few weeks
Few weeks? Does Star Citizen come with it's own definition of time too?

we've worked hard to communicate those to you no matter how good or bad the news may be.
We slipped it in between sale weeks and hoped nobody would notice. We still a long way from telling the bad news directly and honestly, because, well, basically, that would mean the end of us. So, just wait for 3.0 and all will be marvelous again in our universe. And remember, there's always a new JPEG for you to buy!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 09:19:11 AM by Motto »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #719 on: August 04, 2017, 08:32:58 AM »
Yeah, it's amazing. I can't wait to see today's fake dev schedule.

Look at the update I recently released for LoD.

Meanwhile, over there, this is what the cult is up to. The responses are something else.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk