Author Topic: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.  (Read 1137945 times)

Kyrt

Re: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.
« Reply #120 on: November 27, 2016, 02:45:17 PM »
Since those ship professions are not likely to ever be implemented, the point is moot I think. For one thing, they'd have to get around the 16 client limit they currently have, before they even start thinking about 200 clients in a single ship. Imagine the hilarity of just having two capital ships with 16 clients each, being in the same instance, with weapons fire and all that going on.

I thought the instance limit was now 24?

Stan

« Reply #121 on: November 27, 2016, 08:57:19 PM »
Guys asks another guy if he's been an idiot to give him money, 2nd guys says no.

I think Derek Smart brings up some good points and a number of potential technical issues that the Star Citizen developers might be or have faced.

However....I would take his assertions of 100% certainty with a pinch of salt. CIG might have developed solutions to the issues he sees, or developed their StarEngine to address them or like FD does, might be using technical or mathematical tricks to work around the issues.

I personally think development of star citizen is going better than Derek Smart suggests...but also a lot worse than CIG are letting on.

Well IF that is the case then this is yet more evidence that they need to fire Sandi.

Croberts published a project plan that looks like a joke in order to help sell some more jpegs. 

If he could do what you suggest he would be promoting that instead.   

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2016, 07:21:55 AM »
Since those ship professions are not likely to ever be implemented, the point is moot I think. For one thing, they'd have to get around the 16 client limit they currently have, before they even start thinking about 200 clients in a single ship. Imagine the hilarity of just having two capital ships with 16 clients each, being in the same instance, with weapons fire and all that going on.

I believe that's only for the stations. Also, they can make it anything they want; and so far, anything above 12 makes the instance not worth playing. Hence the much touted netcode which backers are being misled into thinking is going to solve all these problems and end up with 200+ player instances. I can't wait.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

somedude

« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2016, 12:29:50 PM »

I believe that's only for the stations. Also, they can make it anything they want; and so far, anything above 12 makes the instance not worth playing. Hence the much touted netcode which backers are being misled into thinking is going to solve all these problems and end up with 200+ player instances. I can't wait.

Anyone who believes that, deserves to get shafted.

Stan

« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2016, 12:46:23 AM »

You can have x number of NPCs you can control and teleporting into friends ships should be fun too.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2016, 04:23:10 PM »
So a backer was asking about the money remaining for development.

You and I shall never know. As if it would be a good idea for a private company to broadcast it's financial state. It wouldn't. Only spend what you can afford to lose and it's fine. You can then relax and just enjoy the ride. Time will tell. Don't listen to Derek. He's a special kind of stupid.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Kyrt

« Reply #126 on: December 01, 2016, 07:20:48 AM »
Well....the answer is largely correct.

We know how much has been raised...over $130 million.

How much has been spent is a matter of guess work. Educated guesswork for some people, but still guess work.

I would agree with estimates showing that between pay, rent, fees and so on CIG have likely spent a minimum of $70 million. It could however be much more than this, and some of the money was effectively thrown away...such as that spent on Ilfonics version of Star Marine.

Same with their outgoings. We don't have enough info for a reliable guess

I think the advice is also sound...invest if you want to, but don't expect the control and financial return other investors might expect, don't invest money with the expectation of getting it back and don't invest with the expectation of a finished product. Hope CIG will finish the game but don't complain if it doesn't.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

DDM_Reaper20

« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2016, 06:44:16 AM »
So a backer was asking about the money remaining for development.

You and I shall never know. As if it would be a good idea for a private company to broadcast it's financial state. It wouldn't. Only spend what you can afford to lose and it's fine. You can then relax and just enjoy the ride. Time will tell. Don't listen to Derek. He's a special kind of stupid.

Well, if somebody resorts to insulting somebody who is criticising, you know that they are truly desperate and in a state of denial.

Yup, time will tell. Things are not looking good for Citizens right now. Personally, I knew it was a terrible idea once I read about how CIG classifies ist own customers (goon? Snow flake? High maintenance? SERIOUSLY?).

The hammer is going to fall. EVEN IF SC comes out, its admirers may well find out that other games have superseded it in the mean time. I just hope that the ones responsible for this will not escape.  :smug:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2016, 01:16:01 PM »
An apology and a rant.

This one is Golden. Shitizens at their best.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2016, 01:24:49 PM »
Everyone's excited for 2.6 to be released so they can play it, meanwhile, I'm excited for it to be released so we can then find out how long until 3.0 will launch

LOL!! Looks like they're already resigned to the fact that croberts flat out LIED to them when he said 3.0 was coming out in Dec. Then they gave him $5 million dollars.

Of course, I've been saying that 3.0 simply wasn't happening in 2016; and that 2.6 was going to be shaky.  :smuggo:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 01:27:15 PM by dsmart »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #131 on: December 05, 2016, 04:14:00 PM »

nawledgelambo

« Reply #132 on: December 05, 2016, 05:52:40 PM »
"How dare you hold the company's CEO responsible for what he says, we don't here on reddit because we know game development. I will now downvote you into oblivion because how dare you expect them to hold up to a relative timetable."

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #133 on: December 05, 2016, 10:08:11 PM »
It's worse. Now they're singing a new tune that croberts never promised 3.0 was coming out this year. Seriously. Even though this video exists:

"..so, it's our big end of the year release. er so er yeah, so we're gonna get it out the end of the year; hopefully not on December 19th but, er, like last year....but it is a big one, so, not making er, I got shot for making promises, but er, that's our goal."

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2016, 09:13:19 AM »
Well at least Shitizens can't cry foul when the same overzealous mods they keep ripping on /r/DS pull the same stunt and ban others.

I just got banned for this post (probably deleted) which is quite puzzling to say the least.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk