Author Topic: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.  (Read 1137584 times)

N0mad

Re: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.
« Reply #1710 on: December 03, 2017, 06:48:48 AM »
Bootcha is back! And this looks like it's going to be amazing!

Without giving to much away - how much access has he had to insider sources?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1711 on: December 03, 2017, 07:15:56 AM »
Bootcha is back! And this looks like it's going to be amazing!

Without giving to much away - how much access has he had to insider sources?

He was one of the original investors who pulled out his money* back in 2015. He even made a video about it.

I, under the name "Bootcha", an investor with Cloud Imperium Games from Nov 13, 2012 till today, have decided to part ways with Cloud Imperium Games. As such, my investment has been returned to me, as is, with no accumulated interest. I no longer have any remaining business, legal interest, or influential bearing with Cloud Imperium Games and their ongoing business operations, and they have no further obligations towards me.

My opinions have been public, honest, and within the terms of my NDA. I enjoyed helping Star Citizen however I could, and was blessed to meet and befriend so many passionate artists, engineers, and designers. However, this project no longer has need of me, nor I of it.

I would like to thank fuzzknot for giving me the kick in the ass to get this exit ball rolling, Mr. Smart for being frank and open with me, many past and present CIG employees for talking to me, Ben Lesnick for giving me this opportunity in the first place, Imp Zone for shaking some sense into me, and the Goons as a whole for ruining everything.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #1712 on: December 03, 2017, 01:50:00 PM »
Always nice to be thanked. It always reminds you why you are a Goon in the first place.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1713 on: December 04, 2017, 08:19:55 AM »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1714 on: December 04, 2017, 09:08:13 AM »
At this point the tracker is only there to reinforce the public image of CIG as a healthy and going concern so the backers don't get spooked, stop paying for jpegs and demand refunds. They can't get rid of it, and they can't risk having it show a zero bucks day or a significant downward trend. It's kinda fucking weird and crazy when you think about it but then what about star citizen isn't really strange.

I heard a few weeks ago that they are planning to get rid of it when the new website goes live. We'll see if they actually do that or not. I hope they do it, because it would be hilarious. Then again, seeing as it's their #1 weapon in giving backer confidence, it is highly unlikely that they will remove it.

Note, they've been saying this for years now. This is Sandi on the record about it.

On "deceptive sales practices" FF to @ 18:15

On "taking the funding counter down" FF to 6:57

Aya Reiko

« Reply #1715 on: December 04, 2017, 12:58:21 PM »

And that's just those that released in 2017.  That list would probably balloon if we included any major release that started in 2011 or later and has since been released.

Motto

« Reply #1716 on: December 04, 2017, 01:10:21 PM »
Updated version:

Motto

« Reply #1717 on: December 04, 2017, 02:06:52 PM »
And again:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1718 on: December 04, 2017, 02:19:18 PM »
LOL!! This just keeps getting better and better  :laugh:

Greggy_D

« Reply #1719 on: December 04, 2017, 03:09:59 PM »
I knew their bullshit release chart from a few years ago would come back to bite the Shitizens in the ass.

Aya Reiko

« Reply #1720 on: December 04, 2017, 03:28:17 PM »
And again:

Overwatch development started in 2013 and released in 2016.
Mortal Kombat X started in 2013 (if not mid to late 2012) and was released in 2015.
The Witcher 3 started in 2011, released in 2015.
Splatoon started in 2013, released in 2015.
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor started 2011, finished 2014
Super Smash Bros. 3DS/WiiU started 2012, finished 2014

Motto

« Reply #1721 on: December 06, 2017, 12:32:21 PM »
So, this rumor to generally release 3.0 to all backers, now that doesn't have anything to do with, oh I don't know, something like declaring this the MVP and then doing a runner, now does it? Or are they hoping with releasing 3.0 it will take away the attention from not showing any progress with SQ42, if showing something about SQ42 at all in the next 2 weeks?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1722 on: December 06, 2017, 12:38:07 PM »
So, this rumor to generally release 3.0 to all backers, now that doesn't have anything to do with, oh I don't know, something like declaring this the MVP and then doing a runner, now does it? Or are they hoping with releasing 3.0 it will take away the attention from not showing any progress with SQ42, if showing something about SQ42 at all in the next 2 weeks?

I have no reason to believe that they will ever officially declare any build the MVP. That's why Chris moved on to Early Access a few months back. So that's what they're going to go with because MVP is all kinds of bad.

Motto

« Reply #1723 on: December 06, 2017, 01:03:04 PM »
They can keep it in Early Access until Eternity, or until the money is gone, whichever comes first. Star Citizen: how many whales can pay for Eternity?

I wonder, is this the new hidden offline wankpod for the WKCF's?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 01:11:30 PM by Motto »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1724 on: December 07, 2017, 04:27:45 AM »
From Gorf

PODCAST: The Arcade Show[/b]

At 39:15 in, they begin discussion of CIG’s business practices... The segment, which follows on the heels of discussions of microtransactions and gambling, begins with the segue: “Speaking of predatory games... and naked greed...”

Comparisons to real-world (scam) sales of lunar plots are lobbed, then the discussion begins in earnest.

Quotes include:
    • “There is no game.”
    • “It’s less than No Man’s Sky.”
    • “I don’t think this game is ever coming out. This is just a funding scheme.”
    • “Get out while you can.”
    • “For those of you thinking about getting into this game? DON’T.”
    • “It’s a straight-up scam!”
    • “We’re beating a dead horse here, but it’s five years now.”
    • “When do the smart people who contributed to it start to get annoyed? When do they take legal action?”
    • “What happens when someone dials the help line? Do they just laugh at you? Hahaha!”
    • “There has to be money laundering going on.”[/i]
    They invoke the specter of Chris escaping to an island and leaving the crashed ruin of his project behind him when the money runs out. Disbelief is expressed that demand continues despite the absence of progress. Sunk cost fallacies invoked. Images of CIG employees smoking cigars, burning wads of cash, and driving Ferraris to work bandied about. (Technically, they prefer weed and Porsches but close enough...) / Speculations about office decor reflecting the rarefied sensibilities of old money. (Uhh, no, just a mix of nouveau riche tackiness and space nerd kitsch...) And more of the like.

The discussion isn’t especially insightful but it’s interesting inasmuch as it captures the incredulity and skepticism that increasingly is becoming conventional wisdom for gamers outside the bubble.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk