Author Topic: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.  (Read 1259602 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.
« Reply #1440 on: September 28, 2017, 06:05:35 PM »
Lest we forget what happened with the AMD cross-promotion from years back

AMD dude who is part the AMD game promo thing posted:
We're partnered with them [CIG], of course. We are. It's four months before E3 and we're getting our PC showcase set up. We're reaching out to get demos, sizzle reels, all kinds of different promo stuff. We hear back from a lot of people; there's some new stuff, new games, new partners, all that. Absent is a response from CIG.

Someone else here handles all that, she's calling and calling thinking there's some mistake or she's not getting through to the right people. It's now three months until the PC Gamer showcase and there's nothing on the table from CIG. She's trying to set up a conf call or a face to face with CIG and there's nothing solid set up.

She finally talks to someone over there and is assured we'll get a slice of scripted gameplay and some cutscene stuff with the big name A listers on the project. E3 is what, six weeks away? Maybe seven at this point.

A week later what we get a package with a disc, no explanation, table of contents, nothing. On it, there's nothing new, [its] a mashup of all their previous trailers. It's not even cut differently. We have the Hamil one, the Oldman speech, some fighters shooting things and some FPS segments that were lifted straight out of the last con they did. They're all just dumped into a "Promo" folder on a blu-ray.

She's thinking this is a mistake, they sent us the wrong material -- easy mistake to make, you throw in an old disc instead of the one you just cut, it got handled differently, an intern misunderstood what we wanted, whatever. So she calls them up again, no response, emails, nothing.

Two weeks later we get what is referred to around here as the "Letter." Capital "L" letter. The email is addressed to everyone high up at AMD, not even the gaming guys but the chip designers and the heads of departments. The PDF attachment is a rambling statement from Chris about how we're pushing him into something he doesn't think is necessary, he has a vision and that it's "too important" to be disrespected like this.

The decision was made to drop them from the show after that. Probably from our partnership as well, but that's above my head.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

nightfire

« Reply #1441 on: September 28, 2017, 07:20:40 PM »

Holy Christ - this actually happened?? This is cringe-worthy beyond imagination!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

ecg

« Reply #1442 on: September 28, 2017, 08:13:04 PM »
overheard at Intel.... Hey Bob, we have boxes of these SSD's that just are not moving, what can we do?    Don't worry Jerry, we identified a market. There is this large group of suckers, I mean consumers who will throw money at anything. Just slap "Optimized for Star Citizen" labels on them. I guarantee we are going to sell them all.

Motto

« Reply #1443 on: September 29, 2017, 12:19:01 PM »
So, let's discuss the aesthetics of picture one versus picture two. Like, as if they are more than pictures. OMFG  :vince:

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #1444 on: September 29, 2017, 03:01:03 PM »
overheard at Intel.... Hey Bob, we have boxes of these SSD's that just are not moving, what can we do?    Don't worry Jerry, we identified a market. There is this large group of suckers, I mean consumers who will throw money at anything. Just slap "Optimized for Star Citizen" labels on them. I guarantee we are going to sell them all.
I for myself will stay way from products from companies which associate themselves with toxic cults. Also I will consider that when I'm consulted for recommendations.

ChrisIhao

« Reply #1445 on: September 30, 2017, 01:15:48 AM »
Which entails making a decision and getting the team to follow it and making it work.  Once CR decides that space mining is a good profession to have and that CIG should implement mechanics for that profession, then having somebody tell him he is wrong, that space mining shouldln't be there isn't going to help team harmony.

Why is Croberts making a decision on spice mining, when he has no clue that implementing that mechanic would be either a good thing or a bad thing?

So, it wasnt enough to steal that giant sand worm from Dune; he had to steal the spice as well? ;)

StanTheMan

« Reply #1446 on: September 30, 2017, 03:10:25 AM »

AMD dude who is part the AMD game promo thing posted:
We're partnered with them [CIG], of course. We are. It's four months before E3 and we're getting our PC showcase set up. We're reaching out to get demos, sizzle reels, all kinds of different promo stuff. We hear back from a lot of people; there's some new stuff, new games, new partners, all that. Absent is a response from CIG.

Someone else here handles all that, she's calling and calling thinking there's some mistake or she's not getting through to the right people. It's now three months until the PC Gamer showcase and there's nothing on the table from CIG. She's trying to set up a conf call or a face to face with CIG and there's nothing solid set up.

She finally talks to someone over there and is assured we'll get a slice of scripted gameplay and some cutscene stuff with the big name A listers on the project. E3 is what, six weeks away? Maybe seven at this point.

A week later what we get a package with a disc, no explanation, table of contents, nothing. On it, there's nothing new, [its] a mashup of all their previous trailers. It's not even cut differently. We have the Hamil one, the Oldman speech, some fighters shooting things and some FPS segments that were lifted straight out of the last con they did. They're all just dumped into a "Promo" folder on a blu-ray.

She's thinking this is a mistake, they sent us the wrong material -- easy mistake to make, you throw in an old disc instead of the one you just cut, it got handled differently, an intern misunderstood what we wanted, whatever. So she calls them up again, no response, emails, nothing.

Two weeks later we get what is referred to around here as the "Letter." Capital "L" letter. The email is addressed to everyone high up at AMD, not even the gaming guys but the chip designers and the heads of departments. The PDF attachment is a rambling statement from Chris about how we're pushing him into something he doesn't think is necessary, he has a vision and that it's "too important" to be disrespected like this.

The decision was made to drop them from the show after that. Probably from our partnership as well, but that's above my head.

I still wonder if there is any mileage getting on to AMD and asking them for something instead of the AMD OMEGA Mustang they dished out with graphics cards.  Something along the lines of  "Where is the fXXXG game ?  Can i have something else instead ?"

StanTheMan

« Reply #1447 on: September 30, 2017, 03:19:44 AM »
LOL!! Star Citizen's next hardware tie-in has leaked. This time it's Intel's Optane SSD. Nope, not a joke, and not a meme. I don't even...

But don't worry though, no way CIG needs the pennies from such branding deals. Like at all. Nope.

Why would Intel want to be associated with Star Citizen ?   

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #1448 on: September 30, 2017, 04:44:16 AM »
AMD RYZEN must have hit them really hard.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1449 on: September 30, 2017, 08:11:41 AM »
So the latest newsletter came out. And as I said last week, Evocati ain't happening. But it's hilarious that they found time to mention both the zero bugs, which weren't really zero bugs, in the same paragraph as the new X1 bike sale - which is already a flop.

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

David-2

« Reply #1450 on: September 30, 2017, 11:50:43 AM »
"A few fixes didn't take."

Yeah, I'm going to remember to use that one sometime.

"Of course I fixed that bug preventing release, boss, but it didn't take! I'll apply it again, it'll work this time..."

premiumnugz

« Reply #1451 on: September 30, 2017, 12:20:28 PM »
"A few fixes didn't take."

Yeah, I'm going to remember to use that one sometime.

The thing is that kind of shit just wouldn't fly with a publisher, and clearly Chris Roberts isn't the kind of guy who can make games without a publisher leading the project for him. Some people can, but not Roberts, and he needs to accept that.

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #1452 on: September 30, 2017, 09:48:47 PM »
Yeah, about that ass cancer, well those few fixes didn't take, better luck next time.
Hey we got some "Hemorrhoid cream X1" for sale, great stuff.
 We will have a demo with my wife applying it to my Piles with a bowling pin live on the next "Around the Verse".

Serviceman

« Reply #1453 on: October 01, 2017, 01:36:40 AM »
LOL!! Star Citizen's next hardware tie-in has leaked. This time it's Intel's Optane SSD. Nope, not a joke, and not a meme. I don't even...

But don't worry though, no way CIG needs the pennies from such branding deals. Like at all. Nope.

probably 1 of 2 things, imo:

- Intel doesn't care about what I do think is really just a comparatively, but loud, few of us that feel this game is a train wreck, so Intel isn't taking us seriously.

OR

- Intel is privy to information we do not have and all of us are wrong about this being a train wreck and it simply is a project that is taking much longer than it was planned.

I am going with #1 being the most likely, imo.

Serviceman

« Reply #1454 on: October 01, 2017, 01:38:23 AM »
AMD RYZEN must have hit them really hard.

I haven't been paying attention, but is Ryzen really all that great and competitive enough?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk