Author Topic: Star Citizen Breaking News  (Read 281303 times)

Spunky Munkee

Re: Star Citizen - Breaking News
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2017, 12:55:47 AM »
At the very least this will show the gaming community the weaknesses of the crowdfunding model for game development. There is no accountability and even worse there is no guarantee that even though you paid many times over for this game, the "owners" might decide to charge you over and over, even after you GAVE them EVERYTHING including the chair they sit on or the home they live in.

It's not as if there have not been failures in the past but never to this extreme. I doubt that any game has seen such large contributions by so many only to see it wasted in such abandon when it was clear for a very long time that Chris Roberts had chosen the wrong engine for the wrong reason and refused to cut his losses and start over.

The single largest example of the sunken cost fallacy was not by any backer, or all the backers but by Chris Robbers himself. He refused to change course when I am certain his hired help told him this could not be done with this engine, if at all yet he persisted. I cannot fathom why, perhaps others just nodded their heads and worked at it knowing it couldn't be done but this was a paying gig and Robbers would not listen. He got what he deserved. On the other hand he might have known but decided that as long as the money was rolling in it did not matter if it worked, only that backers still had faith that he could succeed. He certainly worked hard to maintain the false narrative and keep the expectations high. For that reason alone I think it may have started with the former but the latter was his motivation for continuing on this path.

I think that every day more and more of them are beginning to realize the folly of their way and don't want to be without a chair when the music stops. The worst of the citizens will be left sitting on the floor.   :wave:

krylite

« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2017, 05:29:04 AM »
I don't know, it could be CR was a worst case of counting chickens before they hatched or too much of a big gambler with a really bad call on the current state of mmo and gaming tech. Even ED is a hybrid compromise of mmo game world persistence where the fixtures are procedurally persistent, yet player assets are still mostly text or db pulls. Frontier tried their best and continue to work on it quietly without making a big commotion about it or needing to do "ATV"s as the game and the updates and patches speak for themselves as a great product. Looking back on CR's past games he was involved in, wiki hardly says he was a lead programmer, but rather a lead designer or that most of his coding was on 2D scrolling. sprites, and game interfaces. And later on his games became bloated with video cutscenes up to the wc movie. Cutscenes with actors was a decent contribution to gaming to be fair at least back then. I'd only played one of his games for a few hours (wc2) and maybe wc started the old trend of "grinding gameplay for the reward of a cutscene". CIG should have cut their risk down, worked on a semblance of gameplay, wrote their own engine etc., stopped asking or selling after 10 million or so was reached until they got something going stable. Instead, myriads of techdemos, expensive looking ads and a business of selling design .jpgs and now land plots, later,  it's like a typical out of control ponzi. What bugged me particularly was the constant annoying references to SC over in the ED forums and shitizen videos about how ED was "dead" or would be dead once SC was "released".  Thankfully the tide has turned in the ED-forum thread on SC as we anticipate the ELE soon.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 05:45:50 AM by krylite »

N0mad

« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2017, 05:37:14 AM »
One of the things I look forward to about the inevitable collapse of CIG (other than the knowledge that all those self righteous shills will be crying about their lost cash and the fact that Derek was right) will be hearing the inside story of how it all went wrong and what Chris was really like to work with.

premiumnugz

« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2017, 10:24:35 AM »
One of the things I look forward to about the inevitable collapse of CIG (other than the knowledge that all those self righteous shills will be crying about their lost cash and the fact that Derek was right) will be hearing the inside story of how it all went wrong and what Chris was really like to work with.

Nobody is going to say Derek was right, they're going to whine that he caused it to fail and he's responsible for them all losing their money.

You have to realise that even worse than being wrong is being publicly embarrassed, most people rationalize their failures into someone else and that someone will surely be Derek. Chris Roberts will probably write another sorry letter quietly encouraging the hate and pointing fingers anywhere except at him.

N0mad

« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2017, 10:54:29 AM »
It really doesn't matter if they try to blame Derek because they'll all know he was right even if they can't admit it. Besides, by that stage nobody will be listening to them anyway and then the rest of the world will be talking about the collapse of the largest crowdfunded game ever. Derek will be touring studios / writing articles / books saying how right he was.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2017, 12:35:04 PM »

Nobody is going to say Derek was right, they're going to whine that he caused it to fail and he's responsible for them all losing their money.

You have to realise that even worse than being wrong is being publicly embarrassed, most people rationalize their failures into someone else and that someone will surely be Derek. Chris Roberts will probably write another sorry letter quietly encouraging the hate and pointing fingers anywhere except at him.

Oh they will, and some of them - right now on Reddit - have already started down this path of blaming me and the Goons, instead of Chris Roberts and his henchmen.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2017, 02:49:27 PM »
Point a finger at someone else and you will find 10 pointing back at you. The Shitizens ought to learn this. Had they not continually fed an incompetent with big dreams ( the same 20 year old dream as Freelancer that he abandoned after failure) then they could not have lost their millions or been so disappointed. Regardless, as others say they will blame DS and a relative handful of vocal critics.

How can the really believe that a very small minority and one game developer's words destroy a 160 million dollar behemoth? It cannot. CIG, under Chris Robbers rotted from within with a poisonous corporate climate, George Patton management style (without the competency or effectiveness) Bernie Madoff greed (without the ability to maintain the scam), and the general incompetence of the average pre teen who thinks they know much more than the people who actually do but refuses to listen to good counsel.

I too will enjoy seeing this rotten mess collapse. It deserved to fail and it's failure was inevitable. Ending it sooner simply means fewer losses to either existing backers or any future backers who get suckered in by the thousands of slick Star Citizen videos or hundreds of undeservedly positive articles. Even if the game had reached market I doubt that it would find wide acceptance ands draw many additional players. Clearly it would be heavily monetized because of the debt it would have carried as it limped across the finish line. The backers were deluded to believe this game would ever be completed. Robbers acts as if he is surprised at every convention as if he did not know just how poorly his project would play. Either he has tricked himself, or is becoming a half assed actor. I think it's both but the acting has served him well. I hope they slipped up and has broken some laws somewhere and does some prison time for this scam.

David-2

« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2017, 05:01:54 PM »
I think if you point a finger at someone you only find 8 pointing back at you.  9 at the most.

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2017, 05:35:33 PM »
It depends if you tried to unjam the garbage grinder with your hand with the power still on.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2017, 08:12:42 AM »
The last desperate cash grab

2013 Anniversary Sale Day Count: 10 Days (11-18 through 11-27)
2014 Anniversary Sale Day Count: 11 Days (11-22 through 12-02)
2015 Anniversary Sale Day Count: 12 Days (11-20 through 12-01)
2016 Anniversary Sale Day Count: 12 Days (11-19 through 11-30)
2017 Anniversary Sale Day Count: 18 Days (11-24 through 12-11)
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

StanTheMan

« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2017, 11:41:02 AM »
I think if you point a finger at someone you only find 8 pointing back at you.  9 at the most.

because at least 1 in ten have that finger up someones arse instead ?

Meowz

« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2017, 11:51:39 AM »

I don't understand how they were able to raise so much this sale. Considering all their failures YTD, I expected this sale to be the lowest one of all.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2017, 12:00:29 PM »

I don't understand how they were able to raise so much this sale. Considering all their failures YTD, I expected this sale to be the lowest one of all.

Yes, it's puzzling, but that's the nature of Sunk Cost Fallacy. Backers giving them money are WELL aware that they need the money or the project is dead. However, they can only pull this stunt for so long. This is their most blatant cash grab thus far, and it's very telling.

Anyway, none of this will matter once what is playing out in the background, goes public.

Motto

« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2017, 01:46:39 PM »
Give us a hint there, be a sport. That thing that'll happen, will it be the direct end of CIG as we know it or will it bring down the money people put in CIG? Will Chris throw stuff overboard, or will he be speeding away in a little Zodiac?

Oh, they have transferred all the IP rights to the new shell company and are handing over all other daily operations to a third party. That third party cannot finish SC of course, so they crash. And the new owner not only kills the SC game, but also owes money to Chris for the IP use...

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2017, 05:59:27 AM »
Give us a hint there, be a sport.

Sorry, can't. It's super highly confidential and will cause issues with sources.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk