Author Topic: CryTek v CIG/RSI  (Read 298935 times)

StanTheMan

Re: CryTek v RSI/CIG
« Reply #180 on: March 28, 2018, 09:11:18 AM »
Not a valid %s URL
CryTek have filed their answer to the Mar 9th filing for a protective order by CIG.

MEMORANDUM in Opposition to MOTION for Protective Order

Trust me, this one is hilarious. It was only a matter of time before Crytek attorneys started to point out just how hilarious all this is. And boy, some of the things they wrote are going to piss off Ortwin so much.

My analysis will be up later today.

Oh yes !

« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 09:18:27 AM by StanTheMan »

jwh1701

« Reply #181 on: March 28, 2018, 12:44:53 PM »
CryTek have filed their answer to the Mar 9th filing for a protective order by CIG.

MEMORANDUM in Opposition to MOTION for Protective Order

Trust me, this one is hilarious. It was only a matter of time before Crytek attorneys started to point out just how hilarious all this is. And boy, some of the things they wrote are going to piss off Ortwin so much.

My analysis will be up later today.

Looking forward to it, really hope the most open development of any AAA developer gets shutdown on its request to conceal everything.

Penny579

« Reply #182 on: March 29, 2018, 12:42:21 AM »
This sums up the whole document

"Crytek respectfully submits that Defendants’ barrage of ad hoc criticisms does not present the Court with any manageable method of resolving any genuine disputes that Defendants might purport to have with Crytek’s discovery requests, and it should be disregarded"

and made me giggle

StanTheMan

« Reply #183 on: March 29, 2018, 08:50:19 AM »
I thought the references to the judges past cases as case law examples,  was interesting.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 08:53:36 AM by StanTheMan »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #184 on: March 29, 2018, 02:48:10 PM »
I thought the references to the judges past cases as case law examples,  was interesting.

It's hilarious to the point that I have to believe that CIG attorneys probably didn't think Skadden would read the case law. Then they did. Only to find that the same judge had denied both motions. I was dying with laughter.

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Lir

« Reply #185 on: March 31, 2018, 02:49:18 PM »
I'm wondering how Croberts managed to lure fkks into this mess here.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #186 on: April 01, 2018, 12:42:22 PM »
I'm wondering how Croberts managed to lure fkks into this mess here.

They are attorneys. They don't get lured into anything. If there's money involved, they will likely take the case.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #187 on: April 04, 2018, 05:54:59 AM »
OP updated

CIG have filed yet another response to CryTek's filing. This discovery issue really has them spooked. Gee, I wonder why that is.

David-2

« Reply #188 on: April 04, 2018, 08:05:07 AM »
Though I'm a software engineer by trade (40+years) I'm a law buff by hobby.  I read a lot of law blogs and a lot of legal briefs.  For fun.  (Yeah I know.  And your mother too.) I've never read a brief that starts off like this.  (Stopped reading after page 3.)

This discovery issue really has them spooked.

What struck me immediately is how many times in just the first two pages (of argument, after the boilerplate title page) CIG insists that this case is unique.  This case is different.   In the entire history of the court system - going back to England and James I and so on ... this case is sui generisThis case is so unique and different and special the court just has to treat is specially ... oh, and BTW, Crytek is full of shit.  Just blowing smoke.  There's no there there.  What a waste of time.  Their claims are so bogus we can't even get started until the court is convinced there are no claims at all.  And then of course there's no need to get started.

And here I go, I'm going to spew 10 pages of scurrilous attacks because ... well, because the page limit in the Court's rules allow me to spew for 10 pages, so I can.

CIG is clearly following the time-honored legal aphorism: "If you have the facts on your side, pound the facts. If you have the law on your side, pound the law. If you have neither on your side, pound the table."  Except in this case it's more like they're lying on the floor on their back, clenched fists waving in the air, kicking their feet against the floor while tossing their whole body from side to side. And wailing. Lots of wailing.

(Oh and by the way, Crytek "hid the contract".  Whatever that's supposed to mean, given the quotes from the contract in the original filing.)

BDCISE.  (Best Damn Copyright Infringement Suit Ever™).

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 08:12:41 AM by David-2 »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #189 on: April 04, 2018, 08:59:21 AM »
I agree, it's ridiculous isn't it?

My take

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/981554668538089472.html

GaryII

« Reply #190 on: April 06, 2018, 04:22:04 AM »
BDCISE.  (Best Damn Copyright Infringement Suit Ever™).
Looks like CIG have very low change (its like SC can run thousands of players on screen at once and have 60fps+ in 4k ;D ) to defeat Skadden's "High fidelity" lawyers in court...

StanTheMan

« Reply #191 on: April 06, 2018, 06:07:02 AM »
Looks like CIG have very low change (its like SC can run thousands of players on screen at once and have 60fps+ in 4k ;D ) to defeat Skadden's "High fidelity" lawyers in court...

Trouble is Judges have a wide remit with plenty of discresion so you can never be sure.

Both sets of lawyers would urge their Clients to settle.

Skadden want the discovery process to be as full and wide ranging as can be to help establish what to settle for

If CIG have no money to settle then they are just stalling for time and their only hope is to get this thrown out or rally backers to cough up more.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 06:26:20 AM by StanTheMan »

Penny579

« Reply #193 on: April 16, 2018, 01:31:16 AM »
This is exciting, its like knowing your about to be told a really funny joke but i'll have to wait another 22 hours for the punch line

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #194 on: April 16, 2018, 04:32:57 AM »
The hearing for the protective order is tomorrow, though the judge may not even rule on it. It would have been great for him to rule on the MtD first, which would make the PO motion/hearing moot, but judges are weird. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk