Author Topic: CryTek v CIG/RSI  (Read 298952 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: CryTek v RSI/CIG
« Reply #240 on: April 23, 2018, 02:59:40 PM »
CIG could win this? Seriously? You that dumb? I thought Serenstupidity was banned, but now I'm not sure anymore.

Yes.

CryTek might fail to demonstrate intent for example. That's a fairly high bar.
A jury might believe this is a vexatious lawsuit brought by a failing company because it underestimated the amount of money it could get via royalties.
They might find CIG guilty but provide only limited damages.

And so on.

Don't make the mistake of thinking this is a sure thing. That's what many SC backers are doing but none of us knows the law well enough, even some trained lawyers have been "surprised" and CryTek are requesting a jury trial.

The most we can do is state that right now, CryTek appears to have the stronger case and appears likely...in our non professional opinion...to win some sort of judgement but even that isn't certain.

OK, I'm becoming more and more convinced that you're another Serendipity alt just trolling us. He's the only stupid person to ever come to these forums and stuck around long enough for EVERYONE to stop taking him seriously.

ps: CryTek doesn't have to prove intent. And the only way CIG will "win" is if 1) the judge accepts their entire MtD and tosses the case 2) they prevail on ALL the FIVE causes of actions in the lawsuit.

pps: This is not the forum thread for that nonsense. Keep this crap in the other thread as we don't like threads going off topic. Next time, your posts will be deleted. For now, I've moved it.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Bubba

« Reply #241 on: May 23, 2018, 08:57:06 AM »
Okay, so Winston's post was a lot of fun. Indeed, using https://businesssearch.sos.ca.gov/ it seems that, on Pi-day, RSI Corp. ceased operations in the state of California. Naturally, this doesn't get them out of liability for their actions prior to that date. Still, it will be interesting to see how this one gets explained.

Also, it seems that the Pacer activity has an "Order for Date of Proceedings" from Vox Media's (Parent of Polygon) Senior Counsel. I'm gathering that's a procedural issue; maybe someone has more.

In the meantime, let's enjoy a passage from a Polygon article published in that simpler time, August 2015, What the Hell is Going on with Star Citizen  (https://www.polygon.com/features/2015/8/31/9211969/what-the-hell-is-going-on-with-star-citizen):
In a later email to Polygon, Roberts again addressed his feelings about Smart. "It's hard not to be irritated when someone who is famous for being very late and then finally releasing a bug ridden game that doesn't do half the things he promised starts criticizing you for taking too long and not delivering on promises.
"The reason why we have chosen not to engage him and tried to take the high road is that he's the kind of person with nothing to lose, that will carry on no matter what facts are put in front of him and has made it his mission to try and tear down Star Citizen."

Roberts scoffs at the notion that the company will run out of money before the final game is delivered. "It's not going to happen. We keep a pretty healthy cash reserve. We managed our expenses based on the revenue we bring in. We have our development timeline and we know what we're doing. We adjust. If I'm not bringing in $3 million or $2 million a month, we aren't going to have as many people working on it.

"When Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are out there, I think the game will speak for itself. The noise we're dealing with now will not be there. The people who were there and backed it along the way will be happy and they'll be proud of helping make something happen that probably could not have happened in any other situation."

StanTheMan

« Reply #242 on: May 23, 2018, 11:15:03 AM »
and from the same Polygon article

"Most of the time developers go dark once their Kickstarter or IndieGoGo campaign has run its course, with the backers getting occasional or sporadic updates," he explains. "But that's nothing like we do; we have more posts than days of the week, at least three video updates, a 50 to 70 page behind the scenes e-magazine and normally at least two patches a month."

Yes Chris because they are actually developing the game they sold and not making silly videos...or buying 15k coffee machines etc ...

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #243 on: May 23, 2018, 02:57:28 PM »
Also, it seems that the Pacer activity has an "Order for Date of Proceedings" from Vox Media's (Parent of Polygon) Senior Counsel. I'm gathering that's a procedural issue; maybe someone has more.

Looks like Vox media is doing an article. That's why their legal person would be the one requesting court transcripts.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

StanTheMan

« Reply #244 on: June 06, 2018, 03:04:37 PM »
So it is the scheduling order we are waiting on plus the MTd ?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #245 on: June 06, 2018, 04:28:13 PM »
Just the MtD now, which I hear should be coming around the end of this month. The discovery scheduling will follow that.

Penny579

« Reply #246 on: July 10, 2018, 03:22:19 AM »
where is my lawsuit already,  what happened to the right to a speedy trail?

StanTheMan

« Reply #247 on: July 10, 2018, 05:31:58 AM »
The wheels of justice turn slowly.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #248 on: July 10, 2018, 06:25:07 AM »
where is my lawsuit already,  what happened to the right to a speedy trail?

Yeah, that's what I was wondering to. In fact...

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/1016520859660570626

Caveat Emptor

« Reply #249 on: August 10, 2018, 05:47:19 AM »
If during Discovery, CIG want their financials filed under seal, do they need to provide a reason to the court for the request to be granted?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #250 on: August 11, 2018, 06:01:00 AM »
If during Discovery, CIG want their financials filed under seal, do they need to provide a reason to the court for the request to be granted?

Yes. And then it's up to the judge to grant or deny it.

Penny579

« Reply #251 on: August 12, 2018, 06:29:15 PM »
Yes. And then it's up to the judge to grant or deny it.

Your honour this needs to be kept under seal or there will be blood bath fueled by nerd rage! space nerds openly rioting in the streets.    It will cause a great schism amongst the faithful followers of the church of Roberts! whales will be harpooned! priceless jpegs burned!  The truth must be withheld!

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #252 on: August 13, 2018, 01:32:07 PM »
Yes, pretty much. See how they freaked out over Crytek trying to do discovery ahead of the MtD ruling.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #253 on: August 15, 2018, 04:15:56 AM »
BREAKING NEWS!! As I had predicted back in Jan this year, the judge has DENIED the MtD in the CryTek v CIG case.

More soon.

BREAKING NEWS!! As I had predicted back in Jan this year, the judge has DENIED the MtD in the CryTek v CIG case.

I can't WAIT to read what all those Star Citizen YT lawyers have to say now. Anything that doesn't amount to the usual "Derek Smart Was Right", should be disregarded out of hand.

More soon.

The filing is in my OP.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 04:28:29 AM by dsmart »

N0mad

« Reply #254 on: August 15, 2018, 04:51:48 AM »
Just a reminder about what the Chief Shill had to say about the Motion to Dismiss back in Jan:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk