Author Topic: crowdfunding always go the same way  (Read 6092 times)

vintologi.com

crowdfunding always go the same way
« on: August 15, 2020, 03:51:30 PM »
First they make promises to get people to back.

And then they continue communicating as long as they want more of your money, often promising even greater things and often allowing you to pay more to get sometying even better.

Then when things are not working out or maybe you dislike the direction it is going you have absolutely no rights, you take the same risk investors takes without any of the rights/benefits you get from being an actual investor.

Often the company/individual you supported will just ignore you.

It sucks really bad to be taken advantage of, i had a similar experience with another project and it really reminds me of star citizen (i lost half of the 1400$ i 'invested').

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: crowdfunding always go the same way
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 05:37:51 AM »
Yup - it's like running a charity, then you turn it into a business, then you hit a road block. Then you bail.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

vintologi.com

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 03:44:33 PM »
The charity rationalization doesn't hold, why should you donate money to keep a dysfunctional company alive? nothing good come from that.

I remember reading about star citizen early and thinking "finally a good kickstarter" but every time i have been thinking that it hasn't turned out well.

I have learned following multiple project that its not really possible to predict in advance whether or not it will work out well. Even highly selective venture capitalists lose money on most of their investments but then they get shares so when it works out they do get rewarded a lot for it.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 04:28:18 AM »
The charity rationalization doesn't hold, why should you donate money to keep a dysfunctional company alive? nothing good come from that.

It does because charities are businesses too - and they can be run into the ground. e.g. Trump's charity which was engaged in fraud and shutdown by NY state.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk