Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1384138 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

N0mad

Re: Star Citizen - General
« Reply #1966 on: April 07, 2018, 09:00:25 AM »
So that's why they changed the roadmap appearance - to make it harder to notice when features get delayed (or removed!).

No way any of the major gameplay features (mining / salvage etc) make it into the game before the end of the year.... or before the complete collapse of the project.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1967 on: April 07, 2018, 09:02:41 AM »
I think it's safe to say we're all the way into 2019 now. They're going to keep shifting things. I mean, look at 3.4. Who thinks they're going to do ALL of that?
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

jwh1701

« Reply #1968 on: April 07, 2018, 10:22:44 AM »
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

Design Notes: Mining, Feb 2015

What's sad is that people think the voting actually caused delays, looks like the voting is working properly the for the CR scam. Even dumber is why no one is even questioning the vote for features with so much core tech not even on the radar.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/8afk46/star_citizen_roadmap_update_20180407/
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 10:25:23 AM by jwh1701 »

Penny579

« Reply #1969 on: April 08, 2018, 11:31:57 PM »
I think it's safe to say we're all the way into 2019 now. They're going to keep shifting things. I mean, look at 3.4. Who thinks they're going to do ALL of that?

Closer to the point 3.2

Bind culling
FPS AI
Manned Turrets
Mining
Party System
Item 2.0
Wear and Tear

if they can smash this out in 3 months what have they been doing for 6 years?  Half of these cans have been kicked down the road for so long it will be a miracle if they finish them all now.

We have now developed or new cutting edge FPS AI and it is in game, 3.2 achieved!!  However, AI FPS Missions are only scheduled for 4.0 as we need to resolve how they react to different procedurally generated meals in the cafeteria, so there is no gameplay you cant test yet, but still a very important milestone you should be proud of us, it has never been done before after all.

GaryII

« Reply #1970 on: April 09, 2018, 01:08:03 AM »
if they can smash this out in 3 months what have they been doing for 6 years?  Half of these cans have been kicked down the road for so long it will be a miracle if they finish them all now.

I think now they have new strategy, after failing to meet any deadlines for years now their main focus is to meet made up deadlines.
  So they can push new narrative to whales -> see we can follow deadlines -> give us more money!   
  About actual content - they will just move it to next patch 3.3...   

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1971 on: April 09, 2018, 05:24:25 AM »
  I think now they have new strategy, after failing to meet any deadlines for years now their main focus is to meet made up deadlines.
  So they can push new narrative to whales -> see we can follow deadlines -> give us more money!   
  About actual content - they will just move it to next patch 3.3...

Right. Which is why even though Chris said he wasn't giving out dates, a schedule appeared in 2016 - as we later found out, it was pure bullshit. Replaced in Jan 2018 by a new Trello-like version of the same bullshit. Which is why 3.1 was reduced by over 50% by the time they released it a sub-par version on 03/31.

As I said in one of my threads, all things being equal, they need another 8 yrs to get to a final release. EIGHT FUCKING YEARS MORE

Narrenbart

« Reply #1972 on: April 09, 2018, 05:50:30 AM »
Closer to the point 3.2

Bind culling
FPS AI
Manned Turrets
Mining
Party System
Item 2.0
Wear and Tear

We have now developed or new cutting edge FPS AI and it is in game, 3.2 achieved!!  However, AI FPS Missions are only scheduled for 4.0 as we need to resolve how they react to different procedurally generated meals in the cafeteria, so there is no gameplay you cant test yet, but still a very important milestone you should be proud of us, it has never been done before after all.

It's not meant to be in 3.2, they will slowly push a good portion of it into the future cause "game development".
What counts is the first impression to cash in for it - The same thing they always do - now in new clothes.

Narrenbart

« Reply #1973 on: April 09, 2018, 05:53:18 AM »
Right. Which is why even though Chris said he wasn't giving out dates, a schedule appeared in 2016 - as we later found out, it was pure bullshit. Replaced in Jan 2018 by a new Trello-like version of the same bullshit. Which is why 3.1 was reduced by over 50% by the time they released it a sub-par version on 03/31.

As I said in one of my threads, all things being equal, they need another 8 yrs to get to a final release. EIGHT FUCKING YEARS MORE
I guess they will reach a point where the project is too unstable way before.
Unless they don't restart everything with a decent roadmap and stable builds this will lead to nowhere but a better looking goat simulator.

GaryII

« Reply #1974 on: April 09, 2018, 06:20:52 AM »

I think they have few tough "tests" ahead for next ~2 years:

1) Lawsuit with Crytek -> how much they will lose here and what drama it will create...

2) For how long whales will believe in their new year 2018 marketing strategy - release everything on time, but with content missing and/or broken - so far it works...

3) if they decide to allow backers to buy all or most ships with in-game money (its was promised in some 3.x patch...?!) - how it will affect ship sales...I think its marketing suicide so they will delay this as long its possible..

4) Technical part - with each patch SC development gets more and more complex I guess they are running in engine limitations and in "high fidelity" wall every day working long overhours i guess at this point for at least year for some guys = team morale probably is all time low...     
 Lot of open positions they have now, so they may hit human resource wall - nobody wants to work at CIG...

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 06:32:30 AM by GaryII »

Penny579

« Reply #1975 on: April 11, 2018, 04:37:55 AM »
It's not meant to be in 3.2, they will slowly push a good portion of it into the future cause "game development".

You know what that would be acceptable if they had a road map from start to finish, and not a plan to fuck knows where, made up 50% revamps of  marine Armour and helmet polish.

GaryII

« Reply #1976 on: April 11, 2018, 05:59:39 AM »
You know what that would be acceptable if they had a road map from start to finish, and not a plan to fuck knows where, made up 50% revamps of  marine Armour and helmet polish.

As they say - you don't understand game development and its Pre-Alfa ;)

Anyway those roadmaps are made for naive idiots ;) 

Gendo

« Reply #1977 on: April 11, 2018, 06:06:28 AM »
Unless they don't restart everything with a decent roadmap and stable builds this will lead to nowhere but a better looking goat simulator.

Just think of the goat simulator that could be built with $180 million, eight years,  and a competent design/production team. Lord...if CIG and croberts tried to build a goat sim after eight years you’d end up with a mess a polygons with a rag doll tounge; you’d have to control each leg individually because they could never get the IGCS (In Goat Control System) working properly; it would crash if you tried to lick something because they made every grain of feed a separate entity...but boy...just think of the man hours and money put into the fidelity of that tounge...one can dream... :grin:

Also...they wouldn’t even have to design jpegs to sell...they could just sell random pictures of goats that might eventually be designed and make it into the game...but of course it would all be massively delayed because they’d still be trying to perfect procedural goat generation.

N0mad

« Reply #1978 on: April 11, 2018, 06:45:32 AM »
Are you kidding? Star Citizen IS Goat Simulator in space - they just haven't added any goats yet.

David-2

« Reply #1979 on: April 11, 2018, 02:56:58 PM »
Are you kidding? Star Citizen IS Goat Simulator in space - they just haven't added any goats yet.

And yet the task "Polish: Collision detection" hasn't appeared on any roadmap.  Has it ever been discussed in an ATV, along with Item 2.0 or all the other Hail Mary technologies?

Those clips are hilarious.  I expect to see that sort of thing as part of the portfolio of someone who quit DigiPen after a semester or two because it was too tough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk