Author Topic: Star Citizen Analytics Project  (Read 207525 times)

Backer42

• Refundian
Re: Star Citizen Analytics Project
« Reply #195 on: April 13, 2018, 05:15:26 PM »
Derek - supposing the purpose of the ships isn't to sell JPEGs but to be part of game action - what's the purpose of having so many ship types in a game (say, any space simulator, not SC in particular)?  Is there a way to make that useful/fun?  Is it something outside the game action and more related to the way players interact with each other?  Just grasping here.  I'm just curious about that aspect of game design.
It's stupid kind of progression system. You progress through various JPEGs the more real life money you spend on SC.

N0mad

« Reply #196 on: April 14, 2018, 01:39:20 AM »
Derek - supposing the purpose of the ships isn't to sell JPEGs but to be part of game action - what's the purpose of having so many ship types in a game (say, any space simulator, not SC in particular)?  Is there a way to make that useful/fun?  Is it something outside the game action and more related to the way players interact with each other?  Just grasping here.  I'm just curious about that aspect of game design. 

I think you already know the answer to the question. Star Citizen is no longer about a game it's a high fidelity ship collection simulator.

David-2

« Reply #197 on: April 14, 2018, 09:12:21 AM »
I think you already know the answer to the question. Star Citizen is no longer about a game it's a high fidelity ship collection simulator.

Yeah, SC, but I was actually curious if there is any way that multitude of ships would make sense in a real game, to improve the gameplay, and the fun.  I'm not a gamer myself so I don't have much of a sense of how some of these things work. 

Like "addictive gameplay" - I do get that directly because I have "addictive" behavior in other things (some OCD/ADD you know), and space combat, I get that too because I read a lot of military SF and other similar stuff because I like to imagine that kind of thing.

Other aspects I don't get for myself but I get that other people really really would like to do it, like the whole idea of careers for mining or salvaging or whatever, because not only is there the evidence of the forums where SC backers talk about that stuff incessantly but also because of other games like all the different railroad simulators where you basically hang around making train schedules and then executing them.

It's the multitudes of different ship kinds I don't get how that adds to gameplay - unless it is totally and only about collecting the whole set.  (Which if that's what it is would be something else I do get, because, well, I have some of that kind of anal retentive behavior too, and also because of the various card games, like Pokemon or whatever, where you collect things and that's a large part of the game.)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 09:21:36 AM by David-2 »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #198 on: April 14, 2018, 09:30:12 AM »

It's not a big deal really. e.g. my Battlecruiser/Universal Combat games have over 100 air/space craft - all user playable and with different roles. So with SC it's the same thing. Except that most of the role-based space craft don't have their gameplay roles. e.g. bombers have nothing to bomb, mining vessels have nothing to mine etc.

The issue is that once CIG figured out that they could make money selling JPEG futures, they had no incentive to stop doing it.

Take this 100i for example. They claim that they just wanted a $45 variant starter ship. They have a bunch of other ships - already in the game - which they could have used for that. But no, here comes another JPEG that's not likely to ever be in the game.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 09:33:29 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

N0mad

« Reply #199 on: April 14, 2018, 09:43:01 AM »
Yeah, SC, but I was actually curious if there is any way that multitude of ships would make sense in a real game, to improve the gameplay, and the fun.

It would in a single player game, where you can choose from a huge range of ships - a bit like choosing different weapons in Far Cry. I say single player game, because it doesn't matter if one ship is overpowered compared to another since the game difficulty would scale as you progress.

In an MMO however, since you could come up against anyone in any ship type, then you have the worst form of pay to win. Obviously you could try and keep players of a similar ship power / ability in the same server together, but this would defeat the whole idea of having an MMO. The solution CIG have hit on is to punish players who attack others (not fully implemented it seems), but if you can only legally kill NPCs then why not make it single player?

The only thought which has actually gone into the game is about convincing whales to part with more of their cash in return for shiny ship Jpegs and empty promises.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #200 on: June 08, 2018, 05:34:21 AM »
Judging from the dropoff in the latest leaderboard numbers, just about everybody who plays Star Citizen is in Evocati by now.

Average concurrent players/unique players per day (estimated from 3.1 leaderboards):

Star Marine: 2.6 / 161.4
Arena Commander: 2.1 / 80.1
Murray Cup: 0.5 / 31.4

Total: 5.2 / 246.2

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #201 on: August 03, 2018, 06:02:41 AM »
Gee, look at that curve. I wonder what happened in July 2015 to cause a spite pledge spike

kaylani.larelli

« Reply #202 on: August 03, 2018, 08:24:12 AM »
How are so many people still pouring so much money into this mess?!  :shocked: I would have at least thought funding would be down this year over the last few.

Meowz

« Reply #203 on: August 03, 2018, 08:28:04 AM »
With all the crap that has happened and the general public now obviously against the project how is 2018 their second best year thus far? This is maddening!

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #204 on: August 03, 2018, 09:03:37 AM »
With all the crap that has happened and the general public now obviously against the project how is 2018 their second best year thus far? This is maddening!

That would assume that the funding chart is accurate. We have NO reason to believe that it is.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #205 on: August 19, 2018, 05:32:14 AM »
In case you were wondering whether or not this train-wreck was still a thing.

That spike came from when the travesty that was 3.0 first landed in Dec 2017

average of 2.24 people in Arena Commander over all game modes combined

8.2 people in SM of which 7.5 of them are in Last Stand and 0.7 of them are in Elimination

krylite

« Reply #206 on: August 19, 2018, 05:34:37 PM »

Part of that , imo, was due to CIG trying to siphon off of ED's realized and working assortment of successful ship characters, and shamelessly trying to get some attention of ED players with .jpg concepts such as the "i800" or whatever that looked like the cutter except with their expensive trailer showing the insides with style which you can't do yet in ED due to no spacelegs yet. So they tried to hook using the other side of "greener pastures" ploy to those who got bored and impatient with Frontier Dev. or take ED for granted too quickly. Later on they shamelessly appropriated that EvE "construction" ship design look as was seen. But what else is to be expected of a game project gone awry /w greed due to overzealous whaling & Derek-spiteing fools. So basically you can have a successful line of ships like in ED where it's already part of the roleplaying lore to have specific manufacturers making uniquely appealing ships that are each chosen by preference by the cmdr, but only in a finished already working structure of a space game.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 05:55:58 PM by krylite »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #207 on: August 20, 2018, 04:27:29 AM »
Also the 3.0 disastrous patch was supposed to be the Jesus Patch.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #208 on: October 11, 2018, 09:31:43 AM »
Citcon revenue update and comparison to previous years.

Usually I mark the start time of the sale by looking for a very obvious upward spike in funding. For this year, there was a small spike at 16:05 UTC right at the start of the con, and a larger spike at 19:30 UTC which presumably marked something becoming available. To forestall any possible objections from Citizens I have presented revenue plots for 2018 using both start times.

It's too early to call it right now, but we might need to release the Kraken posthaste.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #209 on: October 12, 2018, 07:15:05 AM »
ShitizenCon rev down about 50%

They can't lie in the positive as they would be in a Catch-22 situation because then whales won't give money, thinking that someone already did. So by showing bad numbers, they're signaling to the whales to pledge moah!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk