Author Topic: GamesCom 2017 - The Hilarity Within  (Read 150247 times)

GaryII

Re: GamesCom 2017 - The Hilarity Within
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2017, 05:31:28 AM »
Yes, I get a warm fuzzy glow when a competitor gets to play more of the game than the backers who've enabled the game's creation.  :lol:

Yes, thats a low blow...anyway will see how this and other failures impact next big +400$ chariot sales...

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2017, 05:36:59 AM »
https://twitter.com/Xocliw/status/899921824229797888

https://twitter.com/Xocliw/status/899925100409081856

Oh dear - the Space Engineers guy gets to play with new features at GamesCom which the backers don't get access to. Some of the responses:

Well they have accepted it. When CIG keeps showcasing features to the media in order to attract new backers, while ignoring existing backers who already gave them $156M, wtf did they expect? They deserve it. All of it. And it's only going to get worse (just wait for what comes next - it's amazing).

What he fails to mention is that it's just a CryEngine level (similar to the one with the Nox from yesterday) they keep queuing and reloading, and not the full game. Basically, this would be like you going to a show, and the developers let you play a demo/test level from their fps game.

They do NOT have the full 3.0 game installed on those machines; so there is none of the usual gameplay mechanics of :

- start client
- get out of your wank pod
- go to a terminal, get a ship
- go to platform, enter ship
- fly to moon|planetoid
- enter moon|planetoid
- land
- exit ship
- walk around in fps
- locate a vehicle, use it, drive around
- exit vehicle
- enter ship
- fly back to space

NONE of that gameplay loop is at the show as of this minute. And for a space game, they're showcasing planetary vehicles and access, features which most games with those, already have.

FYI, word is they are apparently running 1080TI cards in those rigs. So yeah.

This also explains why, ahead of GamesCom, they removed (08/11, 08/18) the dates from the dev schedule. The issue is that whatever they show this close (08/22 - 08/26) to GamesCom, as per the previous schedule aim dates (08/16 - 09/05) is what backers would have expected to be receiving in Aug/Sept time frame. But since the public schedule has been proven to be completely arbitrary and pure bullshit (see my 08/05 write-up) that's not reflective of the actual internal dev schedule, removing the dates means they no longer have to keep shifting the goal posts with dates.

As I had mentioned earlier, the fact that GameStar.de and PC Gamer (Chris Livingston) recently claimed to have "played" 3.0, which, due to print mag lead times means probably 2-3 months before they went to print in July, leads me to believe that they pulled this same stunt by firing up levels, then giving the controls to the media person. Here is my exchange with Livingston. And here is Reddit's translation of the GameStar article. Both of which suspiciously appeared the month before GamesCom.

So apparently they still need another 24hrs before they can actually stream the game. So that's on DAY 3 of a 5 day event. It's almost as if they don't have a working 3.0 build. These. Fucking. Jokers.

https://twitter.com/discolando/status/899926603756699648

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 06:42:21 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

EmmettLazlo

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2017, 05:47:54 AM »
Isn't that nice? Stripped down 3.0 it may be but still exciting for those playing it. A cryengine map the size of a small planetoid is impressive. No other game has come close to a cryengine map that size.

All bang on time as well! Another 6 years and hopefully they'll be wrapping up production!

Also isn't the official line is "pre-patch" 3.0? Which means not 3.0.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2017, 06:39:49 AM »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2017, 07:07:04 AM »
That is a dev and streamer giving backers the middle finger for complaining about access to the game. Yeah.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2017, 07:10:15 AM »
The faces of two scam artists (brothers) who have thus far ripped off gamers to the tune of $156M.

Chris (left) used over $75M of backer money to build a studio for brother Erin (right) in the UK. A studio that has NO reason to exist.

That UK studio, the largest of the 4 involved in Star Citizen, burns through over 75% of the project's yearly funding.

Erin, as per the 2016 financials, makes over $300K a year. Excluding benefits. In 6 yrs + $156M, they have yet to ship a SINGLE game.

http://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/899993868820774913/photo/1

UPDATE: Goon version.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 08:12:41 AM by dsmart »

BigM

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2017, 07:35:50 AM »
Glad I don't watch grandkids this week. :dance: This is going to be really fun to watch. :laugh: We should have a contest on who will be served and arrested first down the line in 2017!  :thumbsup:

Serendipity

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2017, 07:59:34 AM »
No reason to exist? How about the fact there is a lot of dev talent here in the UK? How about the fact it's cheaper here to develop because of the tax incentive? How about the fact they're making two games at the same time requiring a large dev team? How about the fact the UK is just downright awesome...apart from our weather?

You're sounding a little over excited Derek to be honest. I think you should calm down a little.

Do we get your predictions before Friday, by the way, or not?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2017, 08:18:56 AM »
No reason to exist?

It has NO reason to exist.

How about the fact there is a lot of dev talent here in the UK?

Not a fact. That's all in your head.

There are no more talented people in the UK, than there are in the US.  :laugh:

How about the fact it's cheaper here to develop because of the tax incentive?

Not a fact. That's all in your head.

The dev costs in the US are cheaper than in the UK. And as evidenced by their own financials, even with a measly tax credit, they are still burning through over 3x what a studio in the US would.

How about the fact they're making two games at the same time requiring a large dev team?

Not a fact. It's all in your head.

It doesn't matter how many games they are making, those two games can still be made here in the US. Not to mention the fact that there have been MANY US based third-party devs (e.g. Illfonic, Behavior Interactive etc) who have been involved at some point or another on the SAME project.

How about the fact the UK is just downright awesome...apart from our weather?

Not a fact. It's all in your head.

The notion that UK weather is "downright awesome" is easily the most hilarious part of your post. Considering it's in location like Wimslow is even more hilarious.

You're sounding a little over excited Derek to be honest. I think you should calm down a little.

Said the hypocrite responding to me.

Do we get your predictions before Friday, by the way, or not?

Again, that's all in your head. You should be asking CIG about your game, not me. I'm just in for the lols and to watch you clowns squirm and cry each time CIG screws up.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 08:21:25 AM by dsmart »

Motto

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2017, 08:54:20 AM »
Live updating during Games Com Yeah, that really looks professional  :woop:

N0mad

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2017, 09:11:22 AM »
Lying about a bad Photoshop? Naughty.

Get a sense of humour.

what happens when they release the whole thing? Your head may explode...

I was wrong ! - you are funny :lol: :laugh: :lol:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2017, 09:14:28 AM »
Live updating during Games Com Yeah, that really looks professional  :woop:

It's almost as if they didn't have a 3.0 build  :shrug:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2017, 09:16:26 AM »
Get a sense of humour.

Since he keeps getting triggered, he's in timeout until after GamesCom. Hopefully his blood pressure will thank me.  :smuggo:
I was wrong ! - you are funny :lol: :laugh: :lol:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2017, 09:27:57 AM »
See the Red "replace me" texture balls? That's the build being played right now at GamesCom. And that's just a single CryEngine level - not the full game.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk