Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1314991 times)

Motto

Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #1245 on: September 29, 2017, 12:42:30 PM »
I finally found out what is wrong with that bugsmashing progress picture:

Somebody did the very first copy in mirror writing by accident and apparently nobody took the time correcting it. Probably too busy moving features out of the build.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1246 on: September 30, 2017, 08:18:38 AM »
So the 3.0 schedule is out. The diff is hilarious.  Read line 44  :lol:

Last week when a source told me that 3.0 was nowhere near ready, even though they had deferred a bunch of bugs to a "later" build, I thought they would actually try to rush it out - crashes and all. Apparently they decided not to do that after all. Or did they?

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Flashwit

« Reply #1247 on: September 30, 2017, 09:12:59 AM »
Wow, no wonder they couldn't release with that stuff. If those are the sort of bugs they're encountering (extremely basic stuff) they are going to get shredded when they get into Evocati. I'm sure at least 100+ gamebreakers will be found.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1248 on: September 30, 2017, 09:19:27 AM »
Wow, no wonder they couldn't release with that stuff. If those are the sort of bugs they're encountering (extremely basic stuff) they are going to get shredded when they get into Evocati. I'm sure at least 100+ gamebreakers will be found.

You're assuming that's what they're encountering. Considering that they pulled over two dozen bugs from the patch and deferred them in order to release the upcoming scaled down 3.0 "Baby Jesus Patch", it's likely that there are bugs that they're not disclosing. Several sources have said that it simply doesn't run without crashing. I posted that, then they confirmed it in their ATV the next day. All of a sudden, the zero bugs, automagically manifested as something else. Because yeah.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

David-2

« Reply #1249 on: September 30, 2017, 12:09:18 PM »
Look at lines 53-68 in that diff, both weeks, under the subtitle "Crashes".

Those crashing bugs ... from the method names they're all over the place and in reasonably low level stuff that's exercised all the time, e.g.,

• CEntityComponentSystem::UnregisterComponent,
  • CSCActorControlStateUsable::QueueIdle,
  • CGameRules::PrecacheList,
  • PersistenceCache::CCacheMsgHandler::SetChildrenRootParentRecursive.

There's like 30 of these crashes fixed in the last 2 weeks alone!

So

• it's amazing they have this many crashes in foundation level code at this stage, not to mention right when they're supposed to be shipping to Evocati ...
  • it's no wonder they can't keep a system running for more than a few minutes ...
  • how many are left to fix in their bug queue?
  • to those who say that we, out here, don't know game development: Unit tests, anyone? Again, these are low-level methods!

:vince:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 12:12:50 PM by David-2 »

premiumnugz

« Reply #1250 on: September 30, 2017, 12:14:34 PM »
I would be shocked if this goes to Evocati any time before Christmas.  :bahgawd:

All that's happening now is people are realising the "internal build reports" and status updates are completely bogus and meaningless, I've seen this happen on commercial projects before. As a project manager if you don't stand by your gantt charts and build reports people just lose faith in your charts and slowly they become the office joke, then the joke with your client, then you lose the client. CRoberts is running out of tricks and delaying tactics to use, now his gantt charts have been shown as meaningless what else will they throw at us?

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #1251 on: September 30, 2017, 12:27:33 PM »
What have they done to CryEngine to break it in such a fundamental way?

Motto

« Reply #1252 on: September 30, 2017, 12:43:25 PM »
If Chris can't release 3.0 at least to the Avocado's before Shitizen Con, most bakers will (finally) accept that they have been had since Gamescom 2016. If he releases the crap that 3.0 is to the Avocado's and that stuff leaks, most bakers will (finally) accept that they have been had since Gamescom 2016.

So basically, Chris is fucked either way. The end is near. As can be deducted too from the huge sales success over the weekend. People are no longer putting their money in Scam Shitizen and that's the beginning of the end...

StanTheMan

« Reply #1253 on: September 30, 2017, 04:45:15 PM »
I would be shocked if this goes to Evocati any time before Christmas.  :bahgawd:

All that's happening now is people are realising the "internal build reports" and status updates are completely bogus and meaningless, I've seen this happen on commercial projects before. As a project manager if you don't stand by your gantt charts and build reports people just lose faith in your charts and slowly they become the office joke, then the joke with your client, then you lose the client. CRoberts is running out of tricks and delaying tactics to use, now his gantt charts have been shown as meaningless what else will they throw at us?

But hey what would you know ?

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #1254 on: September 30, 2017, 09:41:51 PM »

IThe problem was/ is that this engine is poorly suited to create the massive MMO style game he wants to build. It required heavy modification. Ill refer back to what I had been told and paraphrase. They start patching here and there, hundreds of changes, then thousands. Eventually you come to a point where the code is like a jenga tower. Change one more thing and it breaks a few others. It appears that to have the game as he wishes he can only have a few players in an instance (correct term?) because the game is so (data, pixel) intensive that as you approach 16 players it will crash.

Roberts wants it so when joe and biff are in a shootout in Space Marine it is happening in real time on the same space station you are flying past, no separation between the various modules and the rest of the persistant universe. Add in all the miscellaneous bullshit nobody cares about like face over IP ( I think he needs a shaving minigame and a dental hygiene simulator, whaddya think?)and you have a nightmare that is nearly impossible to build and very few are actually interested in playing. ITS NOT FUN. he hasn't figured out that his game is BORING.

Time is running out. His suddenly deciding to remove a shitload of bugs from the list to push out this super buggy ultra condensed version of 3.0 is a sign of desperation to  keep more players from requesting refunds. Personally I think this will be their coffin nail. If I'm wrong they are still so far from a complete game that there will be many chances to fail or run out of money to continue with their huge staff. They spend more than they take in now.

Anybody have a funding chart for dummies that is updated to show the latest pixel sale?

Aya Reiko

« Reply #1255 on: October 01, 2017, 03:38:39 AM »

IThe problem was/ is that this engine is poorly suited to create the massive MMO style game he wants to build. It required heavy modification. Ill refer back to what I had been told and paraphrase. They start patching here and there, hundreds of changes, then thousands. Eventually you come to a point where the code is like a jenga tower. Change one more thing and it breaks a few others. It appears that to have the game as he wishes he can only have a few players in an instance (correct term?) because the game is so (data, pixel) intensive that as you approach 16 players it will crash.

Roberts wants it so when joe and biff are in a shootout in Space Marine it is happening in real time on the same space station you are flying past, no separation between the various modules and the rest of the persistant universe. Add in all the miscellaneous bullshit nobody cares about like face over IP ( I think he needs a shaving minigame and a dental hygiene simulator, whaddya think?)and you have a nightmare that is nearly impossible to build and very few are actually interested in playing. ITS NOT FUN. he hasn't figured out that his game is BORING.

Time is running out. His suddenly deciding to remove a shitload of bugs from the list to push out this super buggy ultra condensed version of 3.0 is a sign of desperation to  keep more players from requesting refunds. Personally I think this will be their coffin nail. If I'm wrong they are still so far from a complete game that there will be many chances to fail or run out of money to continue with their huge staff. They spend more than they take in now.

Anybody have a funding chart for dummies that is updated to show the latest pixel sale?
If I'm not mistaken, CryEngine is also horribly suited for a space sim too.  And horribly out-of-date.  And, well, just plain horrible. 

Motto

« Reply #1256 on: October 01, 2017, 03:52:46 AM »
They should have started with a custom made engine from scratch with a focus on the basic core elements of the game. basically, once Chris decided to go with CryEngine, the game was fucked.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1257 on: October 01, 2017, 07:00:18 AM »
Look at lines 53-68 in that diff, both weeks, under the subtitle "Crashes".

Those crashing bugs ... from the method names they're all over the place and in reasonably low level stuff that's exercised all the time, e.g.,

• CEntityComponentSystem::UnregisterComponent,
  • CSCActorControlStateUsable::QueueIdle,
  • CGameRules::PrecacheList,
  • PersistenceCache::CCacheMsgHandler::SetChildrenRootParentRecursive.

There's like 30 of these crashes fixed in the last 2 weeks alone!

So

• it's amazing they have this many crashes in foundation level code at this stage, not to mention right when they're supposed to be shipping to Evocati ...
  • it's no wonder they can't keep a system running for more than a few minutes ...
  • how many are left to fix in their bug queue?
  • to those who say that we, out here, don't know game development: Unit tests, anyone? Again, these are low-level methods!

:vince:

Yup. Now, think about this. That's what they're willing to disclose publicly. Imagine what they're NOT disclosing, and you have your on-going disaster summarized.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1258 on: October 01, 2017, 07:04:51 AM »

Yup. A source told me this months ago, and I wrote about it. Guess what happened shortly after? They released a new update with more stuff that wasn't in it before.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1259 on: October 01, 2017, 07:05:47 AM »

They didn't break CryEngine. They tried to build a custom engine (StarEngine) from it; and completely botched it up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk