Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1314496 times)

Bubba

Re: Star Citizen - General
« Reply #1875 on: February 26, 2018, 02:51:00 PM »
Preen's got the right idea. Boss insists that all decisions go through him. Boss gets asked a technical question he doesn't understand. Rather than confess his well known ignorance, he gives a long speech on how things are to work. Nobody can build what he wants, because he can't articulate it,  so everything is in revision hell.

As far as network structure goes, over twenty years ago, ww2 flight si m s solved the problem by having the serve send to reach client only the closest 32 player positions. Sure, if too many players got too close, you'd get the weirdness,  but that's where you balance things through design, to spread people out.
The point is that you build the game around the network code, and doing it the other way around might work for a session-based 16-person shooter, but not for a MMO

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1876 on: March 03, 2018, 09:24:21 AM »
Latest AtV. Now they're still "considering" releasing the SQ42 schedule.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/234462833?t=56m20s

You know, the same schedule they were releasing 3 months ago.

"Squadron 42 will be the focus of our Holiday Livestream in December, where we will preview some gameplay and share our roadmap for its completion."
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

jwh1701

« Reply #1877 on: March 03, 2018, 09:35:29 AM »
Latest AtV. Now they're still "considering" releasing the SQ42 schedule.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/234462833?t=56m20s

You know, the same schedule they were releasing 3 months ago.

Listening to them explain how the tasks work and how it may not include everything was the best lol.
Always an out for them to delay and delay.

justme

« Reply #1878 on: March 07, 2018, 01:37:46 AM »
also good job:

atv special, that was announced for mid january will come up this week, for reasons.
what reasons? :D

maybe one reason is, ppl start asking, if all this culling and object container streaming is
such a complicated and revolutionary thing, they are telling everybody :D

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #1879 on: March 07, 2018, 03:28:58 AM »
Even Chris Robbers eventually tells too many lies and his claims become dubious to even his staunchest fanboys. The writing has  been on the walls for a long time. What he is doing is burning away the last vestiges of hope and we will all see the wizard for the fraudulent huckster he truly is.

I just wish there was a way to prosecute him criminally for his fraud masked as a game creation company. When he made all of those outrageous claims it had to be lies. He had no way to fulfill what he promised. Incompetence explains a lot but people had to had told him that it was highly unlikely that he could create "his vision".

Not that I give a crap about the die hard backers, they will get what they deserve for their stupidity and hubris. Robbers needs to be made an example of for the good of the gaming community.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 03:32:24 AM by Spunky Munkee »

Kyrt

« Reply #1880 on: March 07, 2018, 12:36:22 PM »
I just wish there was a way to prosecute him criminally for his fraud masked as a game creation company.

He has done stuff I would say qualifies as "shady" and it certainly appears that he is engaged in Hollywood accounting in an effort to artificially inflate his costs, but I don't think he's done anything that would qualify as "illegal". Of course, I ain't a lawyer.

When he made all of those outrageous claims it had to be lies. He had no way to fulfill what he promised. Incompetence explains a lot but people had to had told him that it was highly unlikely that he could create "his vision".

On the contrary - his "vision" (IMO) was achievable. But then he changed the scope.
As for his current vision....to a large degree, I would argue that it too can be achieved, albeit not in the manner in which he is developing things. There are certain constraints that would be a concern - such as 1000 player instances - but he has also taken care to "redefine" terms to suit himself. The base technology and systems and gameplay of his vision is certainly possible - games like ED and CODIW show that - but the manner in which CIG are trying to implement that vision seems less than optimal.

For all that Chris Roberts wants to do things differently, modern games development has developed certain rules and methodologies over the past 30 years because developers want to keep things simple. They want to keep things as bug free as possible. They want to avoid performance issues.

Chris Roberts moving ahead with game development even before his game engine was feature complete arguably helped with marketing and selling the game and raising funds because it gave him something shiny to sell, but it also means actual game development will be much more difficult and expensive, more prone to bugs and performance issues, much harder to adapt and fix. It is akin to building a house and then looking to build the foundations. Sure - you can do it if you throw enough money at it, and you might very well end up with a very nice house but it'll also cost a lot more and take a lot more time to build and be a lot more difficult.

But yes - I'll say Chris Roberts vision was, at least in broad terms, achievable. Which is partially why it is so aggravating that the entire project seems to be turning into a disaster through simple mismanagement and incompetence.

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #1881 on: March 07, 2018, 02:12:06 PM »
There seems to be this common thread that ties Robbers and Ortwin's projects together. They seem to  end in disaster, unfinished, with them walkking away with  generous paychecks and the remainder is in ashes. THe Original vision of the game, sure, possible. but he was a greedy prick who kept spinning larger and larger stories to a point where he had to have known that with the given tech and programming it was no possible at this time. He was supposed to be a competent game developer, not a carny sideshow huckster promising to amaze and stuptify both young and old alike.

Perhaps he thought people whoud continue to fund him a Billion dollars to continue his research experiment but I am sure he knew that people would eventually tire once they saw the progress end. The money would slow to a trickle and the project would die. Hey, as long as he got over a million dollars a year (and his worthless wife too) and drug the proccess out as long as possible all was well.

StanTheMan

« Reply #1882 on: March 07, 2018, 06:23:23 PM »
There seems to be this common thread that ties Robbers and Ortwin's projects together. They seem to  end in disaster, unfinished, with them walkking away with  generous paychecks and the remainder is in ashes. THe Original vision of the game, sure, possible. but he was a greedy prick who kept spinning larger and larger stories to a point where he had to have known that with the given tech and programming it was no possible at this time. He was supposed to be a competent game developer, not a carny sideshow huckster promising to amaze and stuptify both young and old alike.

Perhaps he thought people whoud continue to fund him a Billion dollars to continue his research experiment but I am sure he knew that people would eventually tire once they saw the progress end. The money would slow to a trickle and the project would die. Hey, as long as he got over a million dollars a year (and his worthless wife too) and drug the proccess out as long as possible all was well.

Building the house before the foundations isnt the correct analogy because there is no house.

He took out a loan to develop the game then carried on borrowing more on false pretences whilst pissing the money up the wall and lying to gamers. 

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1883 on: March 07, 2018, 06:36:59 PM »
LOL!!

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1884 on: March 08, 2018, 04:39:49 PM »
Hey, remember that networking fiasco which I chimed in on a few times? And I said that they just can't implement "bind culling" without breaking everything - so they kept kicking it down the road?

02-20-2018

http://dereksmart.com/forums/reply/6239/

12-11-2017

http://dereksmart.com/forums/reply/6078/

10-18-2017

http://dereksmart.com/forums/reply/5949/

Right. FF to 38:09

...we can't really put Bind Culling in because it would break the gameplay. We probably won't see the FULL implementation of Bind Culling in until, as I say, we get Object Container Streaming in. But for us internally we need to get it as soon as possible so we can, we can move on with some of the stuff that we're planning.

Meanwhile, in the schedule

UPDATE: See SomethingJones write-up
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 05:44:53 PM by dsmart »

jwh1701

« Reply #1885 on: March 09, 2018, 12:24:05 PM »

jwh1701

« Reply #1886 on: March 09, 2018, 12:31:34 PM »
Hey, remember that networking fiasco which I chimed in on a few times? And I said that they just can't implement "bind culling" without breaking everything - so they kept kicking it down the road?

Thank you for putting up the information interesting read. Listening to the dev speaking about the bind, serialized, etc he did not seem very confident. I'm struggling to find the words to describe his demeanor. He did not inspire any confidence, I can only assume he been there for sometime but does not display that.

One question that come up with every new video that I cannot wrap my mind around. How many people in these videos, artists, devs truly believe they are working to finish the game? If they are making no real progress but keep going along with the everything is great from leadership do they not see the issues? For the most part they seem sincere but I'm always wondering.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1887 on: March 10, 2018, 07:04:07 AM »
One question that come up with every new video that I cannot wrap my mind around. How many people in these videos, artists, devs truly believe they are working to finish the game? If they are making no real progress but keep going along with the everything is great from leadership do they not see the issues? For the most part they seem sincere but I'm always wondering.

I don't think it matters. Most people in jobs, just do what they're paid to do. Sure, quite a few of them already know that the project is doomed. And they are the ones talking to their friends, leaking things etc.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1888 on: March 10, 2018, 07:25:41 AM »

jwh1701

« Reply #1889 on: March 10, 2018, 08:54:29 AM »
Latest newsletter

https://mailchi.mp/cloudimperiumgames/new-look-for-the-newsletter

LOL polishing so soon in the 2nd paragraph, kicking my self for not thinking to recommend action figures in my weekly brainstorming on how to enrich themselves further.
SC dreamers keep calling EA greedy but looking through the newsletter with the merchandising and the $900 aegis pack lol.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk