Author Topic: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.  (Read 1134547 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.
« Reply #450 on: April 15, 2017, 06:03:26 AM »
STAR CITIZEN 3.0 SCHEDULE

You can find the fully updated write-up over here.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 03:39:47 PM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #451 on: April 15, 2017, 06:46:17 AM »
Here's an example of how off this schedule is.

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #452 on: April 15, 2017, 07:30:13 AM »
Someone on SA has the best summary of this.

Ahahaha, this is a complete goddamn abomination and I love it. No project manager would ever sign off on this [sad thing]. What does a horizontal row mean? I mean in one row you've got weapons, "item 2.0", in-game chat use, and ship to ship refuel system. So a row can't possibly represent a single team or a series of deliverables that have to be done in sequence. It kind of looks like they just told everyone "In order to put out a minimum viable product, please list all of the work you'd have to have finished" and then crammed all of that end-to-end on a "Chart" with no regard for actual timelines or whether or not any piece of it was dependent on any other. Not only is it poorly designed and visually confusing, with bars apparently scattered randomly up and down the chart but it assumes massively parallel work flows that just aren't [ehrm…] possible. Some highlights:

1) "Network/Backend" has as many as eight simultaneous priorities in May alone. And it's not small stuff! "Server Migration" and "Network Bind/Unbind" and "New Message Queue" and "Physics Serialization" are all going out at the same time. Well! I'm sure your database won't be a right [mess] after you do all of those simultaneously through different people in the span of a couple of weeks.

2) "Fist Combat" is on a different track from "Throwable Weapons" which is apparently happening in parallel with "Knife Melee." "Takedowns (Front, Side, Rear)" are happening simultaneous with "Knockdown/Knockback." So that's at least 5 separate takes on how players are going to do physical damage to each other, all in the space of a [bleep] month, all scattered willy-nilly around the chart. No reason to put those back to back or maybe even combine them into one cohesive system! Nope!

3) It sure is a good thing that basically everything is going to be done by May! I was a little worried because we hadn't seen one bit of planetary tools, or solar system tools, or object container: load and unload, but it turns out they've just been working on them all at once, this whole time, for five years, and they'll all be finished in the next month! What a nice and satisfying unit of time- just far enough out to be a little vague, but close enough to feel like real progress is happening. It's definitely not a massively telling visual representation of your own project managers lying to you about when will get done. It's just that literally everything they've ever worked on is about four weeks from completion, right now. Whew!

4) They promised us a ship pipeline and boy are they set to [really] deliver! Look at that, as many as 12 simultaneous ship projects at once! They're finishing an average of four a month, every month, for the next 8 months! Half of these ships are marked as finished before things like Ship To Ship Refuel or Cargo System or Player Manned Turrets are done! How [on Earth] are you going to deliver rovers years before you have your planets?

5) Also, on ships: I'm really enjoying how individual variants are assigned different tracks with randomized completion lengths. See how many times you can find the words "Cutlass" and "Freelancer" on that chart, ships that have been in the game for 3+ years. It's weird, I don't see the Javelin that they just put out a 30 minute video about on there at all! Or the Idris! Or the Bengal carrier! In fact it looks like it's mostly
variants of existing small craft from here to 2018.

6) Also also on ships: glad to know that they're done selling ships forever, since apparently they have not made any time for new ship concepts or development on this chart.

7) I'm loving the [inordinate] time they assign to some of this stuff. Tell me more about how "Game Persistence" is apparently a two week project but your "Omnisky Laser Cannon" art or whatever [bleep] is going to take six [bleep] months of work?!?

8) "Inventory System UI" apparently starts a full month before, and takes twice as long as, "Inventory System Gamecode." Okay!

9) "In-Game Chat To Use Spectrum" apparently starts months before, and takes longer than, "Spectrum Integration In Game." Sure am glad this schedule passed a rigorous review process!

Yes, this is definitely a fully realized diagram and not the last-minute throwing together of about 5 overwhelmingly untruthful department reports from completely buried project leads. Given the last 5 years of delivering 1 to 2 minor changes per month, I am completely unsurprised that they found yet another way to promise that literally everything is right around the [bleepetybleep] corner. I look forward to the celebratory ship sale.
Quick reply to this message Reply    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote    Multi-Quote This Message  Multi Quote  Rep  Report this post
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 07:32:05 AM by dsmart »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #453 on: April 15, 2017, 08:21:23 AM »
So not only is the delta patcher missing from the schedule, but so is mining.

Have you seen Lando's response? Basically there's stuff missing from the schedule. Stuff they're supposed to be working on. But somehow it's not in a schedule that goes all the way to 2018. Which lends more credence to the notion that this schedule is the standard BS.

Also...

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/65h9vk/30_schedule_is_up/dgaf17m/

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #454 on: April 15, 2017, 09:29:51 AM »
Over at the new Spectrum "3.0 schedule finally reveals the lies of 2016"

UPDATE: They deleted the thread. But someone posted a PDF of the deleted thread
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 05:21:30 AM by dsmart »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #456 on: April 15, 2017, 11:19:41 AM »
So they deleted that thread.

Welcome to Spectrum

Remember when I said it was curious they were releasing 3.0 schedule the SAME time as they were closing the old forums? Yeah, me too.

With old forums now in archive (can't post to it), using Spectrum means they can do crap like this easily. No trace. No history. Just gone.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 05:21:02 AM by dsmart »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #457 on: April 15, 2017, 11:53:17 AM »
Oh man, this 3.0 schedule is the grift that keeps on grifting

A Problem with the CIG Production Schedule Report
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 12:07:57 PM by dsmart »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #458 on: April 15, 2017, 05:24:14 PM »
LOL!! in the latest patch, you can add your ship's name to the hull. So of course someone (a Goon no doubt) made this.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #459 on: April 16, 2017, 07:54:10 AM »
To show you how utterly ridiculous the 3.0 schedule is, whereby they are promising a MASSIVE list of stuff for release END OF JUNE 2017, someone spliced it all together in a nice graphic.

If that doesn't show just much BS that is, then I don't even know what to say at this point. Good thing is that even some of the hardcore backers are taking notice that we're way past the ridiculous point now. Completely.

Then there's this: http://schedule.starcitizen.guide/
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 08:00:06 AM by dsmart »

StanTheMan

« Reply #460 on: April 16, 2017, 04:02:37 PM »
And there are supposedly professional Project Managers defending Roberts in that Reddit.

Confirmation bias ....what a powerful thing eh !

Reminds me of this discussion with James Randi where he discusses a long time friends inability to see the truth of a matter he was an expert in himself.  The memory of it chokes him up as he wan't able to help his friend before he died.

41 mins 20 seconds in.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 04:06:03 PM by StanTheMan »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #461 on: April 16, 2017, 04:04:33 PM »
And there are supposedly professional Project Managers defending Roberts in that Reddit.

Those clowns are all blatant liars. They all seem to have convenience professions when it's time to argue a point.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #462 on: April 16, 2017, 04:10:45 PM »
Citizens on Reddit are playing time games again.

The Mitanni interviewed Chris Roberts on 10/19/2012. He CLEARLY said they were 1yr into the project then. So 2017 is year 6. So, 4 yrs late (delivery date was 11/2014). This 3.0 schedule puts it in 2018 (year 7) with barely 25% of what was promised, and not even 1 of 100 systems built by then.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 05:46:52 AM by dsmart »

StanTheMan

« Reply #463 on: April 17, 2017, 04:45:08 AM »
These Shitizens are proponents of "Alternative Facts", that bizarre phenomenon that seems to have gotten a grip of so many previously sane people.

It doesn't matter if the evidence is there in front of them in black and white they will deny it if it doesn't support their dreams.

Ghostmaker

« Reply #464 on: April 17, 2017, 06:19:26 AM »
These Shitizens are proponents of "Alternative Facts", that bizarre phenomenon that seems to have gotten a grip of so many previously sane people.

It doesn't matter if the evidence is there in front of them in black and white they will deny it if it doesn't support their dreams.

Dunning-Kruger. Cognitive dissonance. Forest for the trees. Doesn't matter. Who are you gonna believe, Chris Roberts or your lying eyes?  :toot:

Dr. Smart, a while back you posted a chart showing several AAA titles compared to SC, specifically showing how long it took them to go from alpha, to beta, to release. I think you might want to trot that out again.

I still worry that there will be fallout from SC collapsing, hitting crowdfunding in general. While I don't crowdfund a lot, I'd hate to see it crippled under stupid regulation thanks to CR's mendacity.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk