Author Topic: 3.0 Progress Watch  (Read 144986 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 05:05:20 PM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Spunky Munkee

Re: 3.0 Released To PTU
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2017, 07:07:55 PM »
It sure looks like we will have hours of entertainment from this release but it didnt cost us a dime. Thanks Uncle Chris.

CIG a Confederacy of Dunces.

Kyrt

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2017, 12:27:49 AM »
ROTFLMAO!!

It's funny, no question

But what do you expect from what is essentially a pre-Alpha state and a year away - at least - from a proper Alpha build?

The real issues at heart are not that a pre-Alpha is buggy...

They are
1: Why has it taken so long to get here? If this was a year into the project - even two or three - we'd be amazed. But it isn't one or two or even three; it is six going on seven.

2: Why are they bothering to polish a preAlpha? Given the expected changes that are likely to take place as the game moves through the Alpha and Beta stages, a lot of this work is going to have to be either thrown away or reworked to some degree. I realise that they are doing it for marketing and PR purposes, but from a game development pov, this is a misallocation of resources that could be better spent on other areas of the game that need work - such as the engine or netcode.

3: Speaking of which, why are they bothering to do any of this given they don't have netcode for an MMO (no, CEs multiplayer netcode isn't viable), apparently haven't even started development of server meshing (another critical technology which would be better implemented from the ground up rather than tacked on), and other aspects of the engine aren't stable or working correctly, as certain recent videos have shown, including the games physics engine.

4: All of which, and more, points (IMO anyway) to either managerial incompetence at the higher levels, or a set of priorities in which actual game development is far down the list or both

I still think CIG will still release a game in about three years. I don't think it'll be the game a lot of people are expecting.
Or rather, I think it'll go into Beta and stay there for quite a while. (The old "We promised 100 systems on launch (second release) so having 5 during Beta (first release) is acceptable" ploy

N0mad

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2017, 02:39:59 AM »
So, at the moment, all the bugs are just downright hilarious. Then, when the backers keep failing to do the simplest task, they'll become frustrated - the guide about how to get around the bugs has now been upvoted in Reddit. At the moment the excuse is that it's a pre alpha, of course there are bugs but CIG are fixing them. But these bugs look like physics / network issues, which are going to be near impossible to fix - and certainly beyond CIG's abilities. I suspect it's not going to be long before the backers realise that nothing's being fixed and start getting angry - I know some already are. I can't wait  :laugh:

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 02:50:57 AM by N0mad »

nightfire

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2017, 03:33:08 AM »
Then, when the backers keep failing to do the simplest task, they'll become frustrated - the guide about how to get around the bugs has now been upvoted in Reddit.

The only sensible recommendation in there has been downvoted into oblivion :laugh:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 04:58:57 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2017, 05:12:20 AM »
To answer someone's question. Why are they bothering to polish this "pre alpha" 3.0?

Because this IS the game. There will be no revisions. They will try and work out the bugs and fail for the most part but this is the game hiding behind the alpha badge. If the backers knew this was it they wouldn't be happy but they would still defend their baby.

N0mad

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2017, 06:38:58 AM »
These guys are so deluded (similar story here):

PSA: This is NOT 3.0
Submitted 2 hours ago by Calingh
Some of you folks are missing the entire point of PTU. It is to test. If you are not actively using the issue council to report any and all bugs, then you shouldn't be in the game until 3.0 goes live. Please for the love of Dread Pirate Roberts, be an alpha tester. The more work we put into the issue council, the quicker we can all get this thing pushed to live for everyone else. <3

Do they really think that CIG (and their professional QA testers) don't know about all these bugs already !?

Do they really think even half the issues will be fixed before it goes "live" ?

The replies are pretty good - clearly the fanatics are not impressed.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 06:45:04 AM by N0mad »

Motto

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2017, 07:02:25 AM »
If you are from QA and give this out for publishing, you are deaf, mute, blind and born without hands. Which probably means you're overqualified to work for CIG.

And all those WKCFs are going bezirk 'cos 3.0 is here but they neglect to mention that this 3.0 has been stripped of almost everything it was supposed to have in the first place. It's like "look, I'll deliver a car" and then one year later "here, there's a wheel". And everybody starts cheering and patting eachother on the back and shouting "See, we knew he could do it! There's the frikkin' car he promised us!'

Idiots! I wonder how long CIG will actually make it. What else is there left to sell in the upcoming next months? If there isn't enough to show for about SQ42 next month, CIG will be running on fumes I expect.

randomness

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2017, 09:25:18 AM »
So from what I'm seeing the narrative has changed some what :
-It's no longer an alpha, it's now a PRE-alpha. Is that a thing? We're now going backwards?
-The built was released so you could test it, get it cause PTU ?  Ok, but why did they release a build intended for larger-scope testing with so many show-stopper issues?
Yeah, remember those? That "must-fix" list till it exits evocati?   Some of those are show-stoppers. As in : "I can't test the MobiGlass's functionality since opening the MobiGlass crashes my game".
That's a showstopper. You can't TEST because a bug is preventing you from even running the rest of your testing procedure.
When you release a product for testing, you have to get rid of the bugs that prevent testing to begin with.
If I give you a toaster to test, to see how much it burns the bread, and my toaster explodes the second you plug it in, burning the bread is the least of my concern.

N0mad

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2017, 10:30:13 AM »
Firstly, pre-alpha is a thing. Alpha is defined as:
Alpha is the stage when key gameplay functionality is implemented, and assets are partially finished. A game in alpha is feature complete, that is, game is playable and contains all the major features.
So SC is definitely NOT alpha.

Secondly, you raise an interesting point. SC must be the only game in history which requires a large number of people to do testing. No other game I can think of requires buyers to "test" an "early access" incomplete version of the game riddled with frequent, game breaking bugs. But then again, this is the new "open development" method of making games. Odd that nobody else does it this way.

randomness

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2017, 11:01:30 AM »
Really, even if you're a hardcore fanatic of this game, and DS is the devil, and it's gonna be amazing and totallynotascam, you have to realize how EXTREME  a marketing fuck up this whole situation is....

-You hold back release of your "pre-alpha" to polish it (ok, you're polishing an alpha build...... ).    You're doing this to prevent the goons from tarnishing your product 's precious reputation . But this builds salt in your community , who finds it pointless.  (but of course they don't matter, it's the larger gaming press calling your game a broken mess that's hurting you).

-You add YET ANOTHER LAYER of early access to your early access , AND you make those people sign an NDA (again to protect your product's reputation).This results in more salt, as the community is further segregated.

-After all of that, you go against said early-early-early access tester's feedback and release the buggy mess to the larger public anyway , under the term "stress testing", thus making the first two points completely useless.

-Now your product's reputation is destroyed anyway. AND it's tarnished even further since you were supposedly polishing it. AND the mountain of salt from the evocati-segregation phase remains. AAAAAND you didn't even succeed at your original goal of polishing the product.

At this point, you could ignore THE ENTIRE history of Star Citizen, and just on this one thing alone, you could have enough of a basis to abandon this project because it's one of three cases, and all look pretty bad:

-the high ups are hopelessly incompetent and the project is being managed into the ground by flip-flopping, undecided buffoons.

-they're trying to make a last ditch effort for your money , and their entire testing procedure can by bypassed by one greedy flick of a switch. (like those evil publishers)

-they're contemptuous of you, and the entire shtick was a marketing  strategy to build hype around their product based on  the old "limited availability " scheme. Like those ships that are "on sale" now, or those 850 pioneers, etc.

Even if these guys were genius developers, and were managed by , I dunno, Peter Molyneux with a non-promising, non-lying chip implanted in his brain,  you could still handily justify calling  this entire thing a dud based on the extreme level of incompetence demonstrated by their marketing. Forget the gamescom fiasco, this is the new shit.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 11:09:24 AM by randomness »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 03:20:37 PM by dsmart »

Star Chip

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2017, 03:29:21 PM »
If hover bike physics is so hard, then what makes you think they can do something like the Reclamer or Orion?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 03:31:40 PM by Star Chip »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk