Author Topic: CryTek v CIG/RSI  (Read 299085 times)

Greggy_D

Re: CryTek v RSI/CIG
« Reply #270 on: August 15, 2018, 10:48:55 AM »
My thread has concluded

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1029687504205688832.html

That was, by far, your best write-up in this entire saga.  Not a single person can argue against what you wrote.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #271 on: August 15, 2018, 10:54:45 AM »
That was, by far, your best write-up in this entire saga.  Not a single person can argue against what you wrote.

Oh trust me, they will try.

This basically encapsulates the whole thing

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dexatron

« Reply #272 on: August 15, 2018, 10:59:27 AM »
Well said Derek, So in a nutshell, CIG's last real option which won't go well is:

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 11:01:45 AM by dexatron »
Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #273 on: August 15, 2018, 11:09:36 AM »
Well said Derek, So in a nutshell, CIG's last real option which won't go well is:

They have to settle this - if they can afford it. If they fail to do that, they're completely destroyed if the lawsuit goes to trial.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dexatron

« Reply #274 on: August 15, 2018, 11:13:11 AM »
Wow Silicon Knights really paid the price for going up against Epic.  Did Epic withhold technology from Silicon Knights while developing a competing product (Gears of War) or were they just better at game development?

I was just taking a stab at what CIG could do as a counter claim, but that got squashed pretty fast, like I said, the whole legal contest is way above me.

Talk about dancing with the devil, why did CIG agree to something so binding?  I would never have, especially with all that money flowing in on a Tsunami

--> " I were in Crytek's shoes, I would just go in, take every f-cking thing, kick them all out, finish the game and extract their losses and damages"

What is this 'finish the game' thing you speak of?  Can anyone finish this game?

How and why would they make such a claim? And do you see it in any part of their responses or even the MtD filing?

That makes no sense. Especially since the GLA didn't give them any guarantee of performance. It was up to them to use it or not. That's why the judge even let 2.1.2 slide.

ps: Are you familiar with Epic Games v Silicon Knights? Please read up on that, because they tried - and failed - a similar claim. Epic bankrupted them.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 11:27:53 AM by dexatron »
Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #275 on: August 15, 2018, 11:52:47 AM »
--> " I were in Crytek's shoes, I would just go in, take every f-cking thing, kick them all out, finish the game and extract their losses and damages"

What is this 'finish the game' thing you speak of?  Can anyone finish this game?

It depends. The PU is a mess, so that's out. We don't know the actual status of SQ42, so that's probably out too. But if Crytek or any company does a proper evaluation, they can determine whether or not there is anything there to salvage. If it were me, I would take what's there in the PU, and make SQ42 out of it; while leaving the session based multiplayer alone.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #276 on: August 15, 2018, 12:39:33 PM »
My thread has concluded

Also, worth noting that even though the judge dismissed section 2.1.2 (exclusivity), the 2.4 breach is even more harmful to CIG. PLUS - right there on the last page of the filing - the judge invited Crytek to file any amendment if her understanding of their intent (e.g. 2.1.2) was misunderstood. If the judge was certain that 2.1.2 and the punitive damages issue were open and shut, she would NEVER have left that door open for Crytek to file an amended complaint as per the two items she didn't dismiss. She's not stupid.

Bubba

« Reply #277 on: August 15, 2018, 02:23:19 PM »
It's a fun read, and it's good to see that common-sense legal notions that I've been holding (along with many others around here), like "there's no way in Hell a disposition can take precedence over a definition in the body") are also shared by the judge. And, yeah, Derek, you get the honor of "calling this one" on 2.4. In the footnote, the good judge notes that the plaintiffs brought up 2.4, but states that she can't enter into the matter because the plaintiffs did not move on 2.4 in the complaint. That's what will be in the next amended complaint, and should defendants move to dismiss that amendment, then I don't think we'll wait 8 months for a reply.

The punitive damages don't really matter here.
The core problem is this: they developed and marketed two games. They didn't do this simply because someone got greedy. They did this for the F42 tax break: SQ42 could be argued British, while SC could not. So they took the tax break; they took loans against the tax break, and they shot a ton of Mocap. Meanwhile, their grand theory was to build one space-engine, and they needed that before they could do most of the design work for SQ42. So they focused on the space-engine, aka SC.
Now, they've got a broken-ass engine, a commitment to the UK government to deliver SQ42 or pay a ton of back taxes, and Crytek comes along with this here lawsuit. It's not disputed that they (pre)sold copies of SC and SQ42 during the period that nobody disputes CryEngine was used. So, even on RSI/CIG/.../'s best-case scenario, they're still on the hook for a few million they don't have.
Throw in discovery, and throw in the towel.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 02:25:02 PM by Bubba »

jwh1701

« Reply #278 on: August 15, 2018, 02:53:22 PM »
My thread has concluded

Great overview of what has occurred in the ruling, my one real interest is to see open discovery.

DemonInvestor

« Reply #279 on: August 15, 2018, 03:05:10 PM »
Interesting read (both the decision and the thread), can't wait for what's going to happen now. I still hope we'll get better informations about what they we're doing with all the shell companies. Though that's most likely a pipe dream - though one could hope some journalists might actually give depth analysis when all's gone down.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #280 on: August 15, 2018, 03:38:35 PM »
The core problem is this: they developed and marketed two games. They didn't do this simply because someone got greedy. They did this for the F42 tax break: SQ42 could be argued British, while SC could not. So they took the tax break; they took loans against the tax break, and they shot a ton of Mocap. Meanwhile, their grand theory was to build one space-engine, and they needed that before they could do most of the design work for SQ42. So they focused on the space-engine, aka SC.
Now, they've got a broken-ass engine, a commitment to the UK government to deliver SQ42 or pay a ton of back taxes, and Crytek comes along with this here lawsuit. It's not disputed that they (pre)sold copies of SC and SQ42 during the period that nobody disputes CryEngine was used. So, even on RSI/CIG/.../'s best-case scenario, they're still on the hook for a few million they don't have.
Throw in discovery, and throw in the towel.

So what you're saying is they're fucked? :emot-lol:

BigM

« Reply #281 on: August 15, 2018, 04:17:32 PM »
Do we still think someone is going to jail? Or are they going to get away from serving any time?

krylite

« Reply #282 on: August 15, 2018, 04:18:39 PM »
My thread has concluded

Good summary Derek. And it is a burning soon-to-be-abandoned wreck ready to roll off the cliff, lol. I'm ready to watch the future "American Greed"  coverage episode's expose of all the dirty details (incl. the 'remorseful' & 'shocked' interview snippets of former backers). It'll be one of my top favorites of the show. Can't wait to hear Stacy Keach narrate how CR turned to the dark ponzi side right after the initial kick$tarter.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 04:27:09 PM by krylite »

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #283 on: August 15, 2018, 04:50:25 PM »
And then publish it via EA. :grin:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #284 on: August 15, 2018, 05:06:48 PM »
Do we still think someone is going to jail? Or are they going to get away from serving any time?

The only way any of the execs goes to prison, is if the Feds or State authorities get involved, and they discover fraudulent activity during their investigation. Other than that, no - I don't think so.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk