Author Topic: Star Citizen Dev Progress Watch  (Read 295369 times)

wiser3754

Re: Star Citizen Dev Progress Watch
« Reply #450 on: April 18, 2019, 03:46:41 AM »
Not to mention their next silver bullet buzzword, server side OCS, is still not implemented. According to the backers, this buzzword will fix a majority of the A.I jittering, non resposive behaviour and rubber banding.
Apparently releasing ArcCorp without Server side OCS also contributed or was the main contributor to the A.I issues thats been happening in the PTU.

At least there is a new mission giver. Just go visit her, accept the mission, run back to the shuttle, order your ship, fly to another pad with a cutlass, fly to the bunker, destroy the turrets, kill the drug dealers, find the box of drugs, return to your ship, hope the box doesn't fall through the ship, fly back to Area 18 and deliver.

Oh yeah. Pray that the server doesn't crash mid mission too.

jham

« Reply #451 on: April 18, 2019, 03:50:56 AM »
I figured they would release 3.5 just in time for the holiday, regardless of its condition.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #453 on: April 18, 2019, 11:59:18 AM »
And a huge success it is  :cool:

StanTheMan

« Reply #454 on: April 18, 2019, 07:45:43 PM »

At least there is a new mission giver. Just go visit her, accept the mission, run back to the shuttle, order your ship, fly to another pad with a cutlass, fly to the bunker, destroy the turrets, kill the drug dealers, find the box of drugs, return to your ship, hope the box doesn't fall through the ship, fly back to Area 18 and deliver.

Oh yeah. Pray that the server doesn't crash mid mission too.

BDSSE  - and it's only pre Alpha !   

Just imagine how much fun can be had re running this bleeding edge mission over and over again

It is almost as much fun as levelling alts in Aion.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 07:50:40 PM by StanTheMan »

StanTheMan

« Reply #455 on: April 18, 2019, 07:54:45 PM »
And a huge success it is  :cool:

He says

I don't understand the mentality of knowingly purchasing a game labeled as alpha then getting upset when encountering alpha stage bugs.

It's like buying a frozen pizza then getting mad when you take a bite and... it's still frozen.

No.... because you actually have a pizza

If you opened the box and had a cup of flour, a scraping of cheese and a teaspoon of tomato sauce plus a note saying the rest of the ingredients and a chef to combine them is coming at some indetermined point in the future - that would be a closer analogy to Star Citizen.

Someone also needs to remind them of the original Star citizen Pizza analogy
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 08:00:04 PM by StanTheMan »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #456 on: April 19, 2019, 08:14:17 AM »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #457 on: April 27, 2019, 11:37:57 PM »
Looks like those pesky backers have been questioning whether server meshing is actually achievable. In rides a dev to the rescue.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/how-is-server-meshing-possible/2110241

First they aim to split areas between servers so that you only quantum travel through them. Then later to dynamically assign servers based on where players are and not have fixed boundaries. Yeah whatever, heard it before.

He of course is not sure where all this fits in in the roadmap. Probably because it didn't fit on the roadmap. It still relies on persistence and "SSOCS" it whatever they are calling it, and is that even on the public roadmap anymore?

I'm not going to say it is impossible to do some of this as given time money and expertise a lot can be done. It would take YEARS however, especially given CIGs apparent difficulty at hiring network engineers, it's having to retrofit all this to a janky engine that it is not designed for, and it's obvious change in direction from SC to prioritize S42 as the business is running on fumes.

Keeps the believers going for a bit longer buying the ship packages though.

Motto

« Reply #458 on: April 28, 2019, 02:32:38 AM »
Clearly you know nothing about game development! Once they have laid in the OCS and Bind Culling, they will have secured the foundation to flush out anything from every pipleline in no time. And then it will be clear that CIG still needed less time than all the big AAA companies to release tne BDSSE with even more features and fidelity than everybody originally plegded/donated for. So stop with the FUD!

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #459 on: April 28, 2019, 03:38:16 AM »
Ge Mister, It sounds too good to be true! Sign me up right now. I got me a new credit card just burnin a hole in my pocket so gimme a completionist package. I'll be the Mayor of virtual outer space and become a flesh peddler in the only pirate base! Since it is pretty much empty Chris says he will rent me a storefront real cheap, like $100 a month. Chris says I'll be able to bend these sexy green alien women to my every whim! Star Citizen and a can o Crisco. I can only imagine....

David-2

« Reply #460 on: April 28, 2019, 10:21:27 AM »
Looks like those pesky backers have been questioning whether server meshing is actually achievable. In rides a dev to the rescue.

Have you ever interviewed a software engineer and his resume says he did all kinds of impressive things on this very impressive project so you ask him about it and its somewhat iffy and you dig in and you get a lot of handwaving about how "we did this" and especially "it will work this way" and "we plan this other thing" and after a few rounds of this you just get frustrated and move on to the next thing knowing that your expectations were confirmed and your candidate did nothing of note at all and nothing really works and its thumbs down and you just want to get out of there so you can get back to work?

Yeah.  I have. Lots of times.  And it sounds just like this guy.

StanTheMan

« Reply #461 on: May 01, 2019, 05:24:59 AM »
Have you ever interviewed a software engineer and his resume says he did all kinds of impressive things on this very impressive project so you ask him about it and its somewhat iffy and you dig in and you get a lot of hand waving about how "we did this" and especially "it will work this way" and "we plan this other thing" and after a few rounds of this you just get frustrated and move on to the next thing knowing that your expectations were confirmed and your candidate did nothing of note at all and nothing really works and its thumbs down and you just want to get out of there so you can get back to work?

Yeah.  I have. Lots of times.  And it sounds just like this guy.

I used to be an IT recruitment consultant...happens a lot ....but it is the same in any industry.. at least in some software jobs they test people on their coding skills rather than just have inexperienced people interview candidates.

There are very few people going for jobs who say they failed to deliver a project on time and to budget but that is as much a defence to other peoples failings to accept reality as it is about them simply being liars...

In the Uk we have over 50% of people going to University now and something like 70% get the top degree grade.   Apparently people are a lot brighter these days. :emot-science:

StanTheMan

« Reply #462 on: May 01, 2019, 05:32:40 AM »

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/how-is-server-meshing-possible/2110241

Yes I like this Ahole

Clive, my biggest concern is about really big battles and if they will ever gonna to be possible... Like 10k players with a battle to take lets say an entire moon... how its gonna work?

Ten thousand players in one battle .......in Star Citizen ...lol      :emot-bahgawd:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 05:34:25 AM by StanTheMan »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #463 on: May 01, 2019, 03:56:17 PM »

First they aim to split areas between servers so that you only quantum travel through them. Then later to dynamically assign servers based on where players are and not have fixed boundaries. Yeah whatever, heard it before.

He of course is not sure where all this fits in in the roadmap. Probably because it didn't fit on the roadmap. It still relies on persistence and "SSOCS" it whatever they are calling it, and is that even on the public roadmap anymore?

I'm not going to say it is impossible to do some of this as given time money and expertise a lot can be done. It would take YEARS however, especially given CIGs apparent difficulty at hiring network engineers, it's having to retrofit all this to a janky engine that it is not designed for, and it's obvious change in direction from SC to prioritize S42 as the business is running on fumes.

Keeps the believers going for a bit longer buying the ship packages though.

It's all pure nonsense.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #464 on: May 04, 2019, 07:07:57 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk