Author Topic: Star Citizen Dev Progress Watch  (Read 289489 times)

Spunky Munkee

Re: Star Citizen Dev Progress Watch
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2018, 05:33:38 PM »
It's partially due to the frequent changes from a "Project Manager" who acts like a chipmunk on crack who also has ADD. Additional problems arise from an ever expanding scope, an engine that in no way was meant to support this game , and that the level of detail, scope, numbers of players simply cannot be supported by the (for lack of a better more correct terminology) proper infastructure. The Internet and these servers cannot handle this many details on this scale, with a grid size this large, with the promised number of players, missions, NPCs, items flying through space, particles blown off ships. missiles flying through the air, orbits to maintain. It's not feasable and will never be as long as they keep trying to make do with the current architechture and dont scale down their ambitions.

The fact that they have an out of date unemployable buffoon from several decades ago running a project that he is grossly unprepared for lacking both the skillset for managing people, or current game creation, nor the self contol to say"enough is enough, we are going with this" is a recipie for disaster.

I'm sure that the SC backers will keep tossing money into the dumpster fire for years to come and will wind up with some half baked piece of crap, that is if CR doesnt toss in the towel first from a lack of funds while employing 1000 people to keep up with all his whims and scope changes. Certainly it will be a crapfest no matter what.

We will need a deadpool to bet on how many whales jump off buildings. I hear you can bet on almost anything in Vegas.

eidolon

« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2018, 01:56:10 PM »
I'm new, so apologize if this has been addressed many times.

I'm a coder. What I see with SC is a "depth-first" approach, which seems horribly counterproductive. That is, going into extreme detail on a small number of features, rather than a "breadth-first" approach where you get the basics working with basic textures, little detail, basic animations, etc. and then once you have a functional overall structure you go down a level and polish and add cool features, then go down another level and so on.

So many of the small number of things that are actually implemented are so precise and detailed, but every time you make any kind of structural change, you're going to break half of that stuff. You're going to spend so much time on these things, getting them just right, and then that will all be rendered moot every time some kind of architecture piece has to be replaced or an approach is changed.

It would be crazy to try to develop like that. It's like the architecture is just a support system for some specific features, rather than a proper architecture that allows for various features to be implemented. It must be incredibly frustrating and stressful to work on SC. I feel like every other month your last month's entire work would get thrown out the airlock because someone decided to switch to Lumberyard or replace the networking layer or whatever the latest thing is.

I definitely see why you don't think it's ever coming out. I don't think anyone could deliver any software that way. It's like spending all your time in the "slapping together a prototype" phase.

Thanks for sharing your missile model approach, that was very interesting. Straightforward, understandable systems that have predictable outputs -- what a concept!

N0mad

« Reply #122 on: August 02, 2018, 02:55:50 PM »
Yeah, what he said.

But CIG have taken it one step further - they're still altering the core game engine after 6+ yaars of development.

Chris's fundamental problem is that he doesn't see a computer game as smoke and mirrors trickery. He wants everything to be rendered in the game world diagetically with no draw distance limit. Their new problem is that 64 bit positioning might not be big enough for an ENTIRE solar system - hence the issue about where to put Hurston. This can be done fairly simply using a loading screen for the travel time but this would be an admission that their fancy (and pointless) 64 bit vector engine was worthless.

Popcorn at the ready - can't wait to see what they do !

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #123 on: August 03, 2018, 05:54:50 AM »
I definitely see why you don't think it's ever coming out. I don't think anyone could deliver any software that way. It's like spending all your time in the "slapping together a prototype" phase.

Incompetence and inexperience are a primary factor. It doesn't matter what engine or tools you have on hand, either one of those two are enough to doom any project. Star Citizen has not only incompetence and inexperience, but they took it one step further and decided to create a game for which they they neither had the tools nor the tech. What is happening now, as an experienced gamedev, I saw coming a mile away when they changed direction with the project.

There is never - ever - going to be a final product. It will continue to plod on and just slowly wither away until the end rolls around. Pretty much what has been happening since Dec 2017 when the 3.0 Jesus Patch failed to meet expectations.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

N0mad

« Reply #124 on: August 18, 2018, 03:08:43 AM »
LOL !

Once again CIG have moved (or re-moved) the goalposts. All the new gameplay promised for this year has been replaced with improvements to current systems. The salvage mechanic has survived but been moved into a single feature for next year. Repair and refuel has been reduced in scope to just "manual repair" and "ship to ship refuel" for next year. All other gameplay (and to be honest there wasn't much to get excited about) has been CULLED.

Just to remind you of the original gameplay promises for 3.2:

I'm fully expecting all the core tech improvements to be kicked into the long grass as well.

I can't wait to see where they put Hurston in the PU - my guess will be that it's effectively behind a loading screen and on a different server.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 03:11:46 AM by N0mad »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2018, 05:10:09 AM »
LOL !

Once again CIG have moved (or re-moved) the goalposts. All the new gameplay promised for this year has been replaced with improvements to current systems. The salvage mechanic has survived but been moved into a single feature for next year. Repair and refuel has been reduced in scope to just "manual repair" and "ship to ship refuel" for next year. All other gameplay (and to be honest there wasn't much to get excited about) has been CULLED.

Just to remind you of the original gameplay promises for 3.2:

I'm fully expecting all the core tech improvements to be kicked into the long grass as well.

I can't wait to see where they put Hurston in the PU - my guess will be that it's effectively behind a loading screen and on a different server.

I am so shocked, that I need to go buy more JPEGs to calm my nerves. :emot-lol:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Darklegend1

« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2018, 05:23:52 AM »
LOL !

And the carrot moved further again...well lets see if the donkey(zealots) notices!!

Though this is how game development works... :laugh: :laugh:

3.7.0??? :laugh: :laugh:

when responding to posts with images and/or videos, please don't quote them - dsmart
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 05:26:40 AM by dsmart »

StanTheMan

« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2018, 06:38:56 AM »
There is never - ever - going to be a final product. It will continue to plod on and just slowly wither away until the end rolls around. Pretty much what has been happening since Dec 2017 when the 3.0 Jesus Patch failed to meet expectations.

Therefore,  as a "experienced industry professionals",  Chris Roberts and his mates know this.

They are carrying on regardless.

Greggy_D

« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2018, 07:02:43 AM »
Looks like they are making fantastic progress on Network Bind Culling and Object Container Streaming.  Once those are fully implemented the rest of the game just falls into place.

:emot-smuggo:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2018, 07:03:20 AM »
Therefore,  as a "experienced industry professionals",  Chris Roberts and his mates know this.

They are carrying on regardless.

They have a bunch of fools giving them money to keep making payroll. So.  :emot-colbert:

krylite

« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2018, 05:06:21 PM »
What is happening now, as an experienced gamedev, I saw coming a mile away when they changed direction with the project.

Personally I'm glad you called them out then. I had been waiting for either ED or SC to release first and was not into the pre-ordering fad. I was initially fooled by the first trailers by CR and thought they had something. So the initial media exposure from the July blog and the excessive .jpg selling rot helped me stay away from SC and its potential sunk cost fallacy trap.

Besides the whaling fools continuing to fund their payroll and yearly expenses, I really want to see how much of the millions went siphoned into CR and gang's "unjust self-enrichment" and schemes when it collapses and hopefully laid all bare.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 05:10:01 PM by krylite »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2018, 04:26:34 AM »
Well after 3 weeks, if the last dev schedule was any indication, my sources continue to be correct when they told me back in 2016 that the internal dev schedule went all the way to 2021. Not it's looking like it's going to be past that - assuming they survive (they won't).

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2018, 03:13:16 PM »

Greggy_D

« Reply #133 on: September 01, 2018, 06:17:22 PM »
No movement on OCS and Bind Culling.  Yeah, they're totally going to be in 3.3.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2018, 05:11:00 AM »
No movement on OCS and Bind Culling.  Yeah, they're totally going to be in 3.3.

Yeah but you see, they have a supa sekret build that we don't yet know about.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk