Author Topic: Star Citizen Citizenship  (Read 1074492 times)

jwh1701

Re: Star Citizen - The Citizenship
« Reply #840 on: March 07, 2018, 10:54:34 AM »
It's amazing. Despite the fact that there is literally NOTHING in the game that hasn't been done before, they've been uttering and spreading that croberts-inspired bullshit forever.

Seems like he's the one having a meltdown since your just a community voice to the scam, I'm sure you and many others have some impact on sales. Even that is true Chris himself has stated he can finish the game if funding stopped. Also what are the statistics he showing how many post that have been made concerning you?

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 05:38:11 PM by jwh1701 »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #841 on: March 07, 2018, 11:02:15 AM »

https://twitter.com/CuriousClown/status/971349609422434304

Derek, @Versecast of “Those guys with Ships” org under @HouseGleep command also stopped making SC related content after 190(!!!) episodes
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #842 on: March 13, 2018, 07:55:53 AM »
Meanwhile, back at the water cooler.

It's almost as if some people didn't know that I was writing my blogs and articles for a reason. It's all in there. So NONE of this should be news.

And...

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

jwh1701

« Reply #843 on: March 13, 2018, 08:35:49 AM »
Meanwhile,

The picture is awesome, I'm going to try and find the video of Chris talking about working on the game with up to 9 or 10 other people before the kickstarter. I'm pretty sure I remember him speaking about that but it has been awhile if anyone else remembers this it would help confirm memory is correct.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #844 on: March 13, 2018, 11:09:13 AM »
LOL! Batgirl is back - Gorf is on her case.

YOUTUBE: BATGIRL’S “STAR CITIZEN AA STARTING NEW AGAIN IN SC 3.01”

PART 1

From her YouTube Description: “While I am waiting for Tyler to release the new method of obtaining CIG guests for my show, I am just playing the Alpha Build. There is so much promise in this title, I can help but be a bit anxious for it all to work out.”

(I think you meant to type “can’t” Batgirl but hope is so instinctive that you prevented yourself...)

And yes, I’m splitting this summary into two parts, for your sake fellow thread readers and for my own.

Batgirl returns to the game after a non-sequitur outing that felt at first glance like a cry for help. (Alas, it was a collaborative work with some other intended audience so it needs no additional examination.)

As Batgirl returns, so too must I in my duties as chief essayist of her adventures. And it would seem, as her latest journey to nowhere begins, that I may have come in the crosshairs myself after 3 years of intermittent thread reporting on Batgirl’s reporting...

0:20 - Batgirl seems to throw an elbow this direction, “It’s gotten to the point where I can’t even express frustration with a game I love without people picking it up and thinking of criticizing the development of the game.”

(It’s been that way longer than you think. Goonship must be earned, too, and I’m doing my part.)

0:58 - After that opening jab, Batgirl then proceeds to achieve peak irony by explaining that she’s tried to record a video of her just enjoying the game but “the servers have been absolute crap” when she has.

1:58 - (These are your words, Batgirl.)

Batgirl muses that perhaps CIG isn’t paying attention to server issues then speculates about early morning reboots, as she enjoys higher frame rates when she...

...OH CRAP WHAT IS HAPPENING TO THAT GUY?

2:27 - Batgirl recounts a happier recent play session that she apparently didn’t record. Yet she then starts to let her Citizen guard down and open up, admitting that times have been rather hard for her in the Verse economically speaking (and in every other possible manner, really.)  Her constant session-crashes while flying cargo-laden ships have nearly wiped out her credit balances, balances she’d built up with countless joyless hours of space trucking.

THE PURGATORIAL LOOP

Behold the Purgatorial Loop, Batgirl. Again. Behold the Grand Parade.

If you would find peace in this lifeless, nihilist play experience,  you must channel the enlightened wisdom of your former fellow Space Game streamer Dan Gheesling, who said THIS when facing circumstances quite similar to you own (and then promptly bugged out of covering this game to play fun games instead.) 

2:52 - Right on queue, she starts experiencing frame rate issues. “This is not going to be a good night....” (It will for one of us, Batgirl. If not you, the streamer, then me, the space journalist reporting live from the scene of the accident.) “We’re going to try though, because I really want to talk about the game.”

3:05 - In that spirit of hopefulness, Batgirl discusses her plans for a future 3.1 play session, one which will benefit from that ‘huge optimization patch’ and the addition of service beacons...

:negative:

3:33 - ”A patch, a fix, a patch, a fix... And we got a patch, and I haven’t seen the fix. I just never expected 3.1 was going to be the fix for 3.0...”

4:33 - Batgirl then discusses attempts to complete fighter missions but these too have come to ruin due to server instability and lag.

5:15 - Batgirl opts for a new cargo mission with the roomy Freelancer, yet only moments after spawning the ship, her bat-senses start tingling with foreboding.

6:15 - Batgirl utters the Shibbolethic Mantra of Critical Indictment: ”I absolutely love the game — I do...” — The phrase, whether when written or uttered aloud, is a goodwill tax paid upfront by native citizens before words of criticism are dared. While the phrase is generally considered sufficient to orient another to intent, she follows it with formal pleading, “... but please, when I criticize things, when I show frustrations like things like this...” and the indictments begin:

6:23 - “The physics are still bugged — because they’re not going to fix it until most of the systems are in. But you can see the right landing gear over here glitching through the deck. You can see this one off, up and in the air, you can see the ship kind of rocking back and forth...”

REFLECTIONS ON THE PURGATORIAL LOOP

She boards the glitching, rocking, tilted craft in the game she loves so much and makes her way down a dark corridor towards the pilot’s seat. Nearly 8 minutes of gameless, buggy busywork have passed now. To her, it is but a blinking of the eye, just as the last 6 years spent in pre-Alpha have been. Yet to us, the grindingly dull Sprint of a Dozen Corridors is both micro and macro of Chris Roberts purgatorial vision both of game design and backer patronage itself. This is the loop.

You will forever feel the sensation of running yet rarely know the joys of progress. You will wait for fun both inside and outside his game because Roberts demands that you pay and you wait. Just as he has wiped you out inside of the game he will wipe you out outside of it if you continue to play.

7:58 - Meanwhile, back in the game, Batgirl’s adventure is finally ready to begin!

Oh no. Wait. She’s still stuck in Roberts purgatorial loop. It can not be escaped so easily despite the 8 minutes already suffered, for the bugs descend on her like The Flies in Sartre’s classic, and in this play and that play they are the collective punishment of the many for the sins of the few; they are the price forever paid for faith.

9:02 - A minute of futzing with keybindings via the advanced menu liberates her from this particular setback. And so, now 9 minutes in to this play session, the quest for fun can finally begin.

9:35 - JUMPING TO YELLIN[/url]

The jump has her cockpit jostling about frightfully as if the forces themselves might tear the ship apart. She’s nonplussed, however, because it’s just the hassle of an interdiction event that obliges her to another jump to escape it. It’s not like she wants to bother with combat in this turkey — that’s a bigger slog than cargo missions.

11:00 - Having jumped to Yellin, she has yet more time to kill, for that was grand bargain of the PG switch in the first place and might as well be a slogan for any space sim that embraces it:

Procedural Generation: Hope you’ve got some time to kill

11:33 - After pleading for commenters to offer assistance with some mouse related business, Batgirl directs a message possibly at your author specifically.

“Now, I know that the critics are going to say, ‘There’s not a lot of game there, how are you going to have fun?’ — And I think it’s one of those things where you make your own fun...”

I honestly think I’m having more fun writing up this summary of your gameplay experience than you’re having playing it and I’m unironically making Sartre references. (i.e. this is quickly growing wearying.)

“...And that’s what you have to do in Star Citizen right now, it’s because there’s not going to be content for a very long time. Not until the game actually enters Beta.” (She reflects briefly and amends her statement.) “Well, there is content, there is Miles Eckhart, and... the only reason I don’t partake in the Miles Eckhart quest is because well.. they’re not bugged, the GAME is bugged, I fly all the way out to Delamar, I get the quest with him, the missions with him, and 9 out of 10 times I crash and it’s like a waste of time...”

”Jean Paul?”

“Cigarette?”

“No, No...”

POW!

12:33 - Now over a dozen minutes into a gameless play session, Batgirl casually mentions that she’s taken up drinking while playing Star Citizen. Is that what you meant by “finding your own fun”, Batgirl?

For what is now probably the fourth time in the last half-dozen sporadically released Star Citizen videos, she talks about her desire to get back into streaming the game.

Sure. Why should you and I have to be the only ones having to suffer through this?

12:59 - Batgirl then mourns the loss of her fellow Lightspeed Lunatics streamers, for they have stopped making time for the existential miseries of Star Citizen fandom. Most of us play games to escape the burdens of our day to day grinds not augment and compound them. But you do you, Batgirl.

THE GRIEVANCE RETURNS

13:39 - I’d wondered how long into this particular video we might have to journey before the axe-grinding about The Grand Betrayal might begin. Turns out it starts at 13:39.

And here, I actually rather agree. Despite her eccentricities, Batgirl is one of the better fan journalists CIG has had. She’s produced more inadvertent scoops just by virtue of her repeated access to Ben and Sandi and I can only assume that was part of the problem.

CIG is engaged in outright hypocrisy and two-faced deceit by shutting you out while granting an all access pass to Bored Gamer. Fact. My cynical read is that you outlived your usefulness to CIG LA during the critical transition period that saw Wingman decapitated and Sandi and Ben awkwardly joining together in a Chris-approved effort to elevate Sandi’s symbolic fanbase authority to levels equal to that she enjoys organizationally as The Boss’s Wife.

Batgirl mentions that the excuse offered for her reduced access is that Ben is working on a “Top Secret Project.” Aside from continuing as the world’s foremost hoarder of the Detritus of Chris Roberts, one assumes perhaps he’s been tasked with overseeing some propagandistic duty like getting “The Wonderful World of Star Citizen” documentary prepped. But who knows?

14:50 - BATGIRL REFLECTS ON 5 YEARS OF FANDOM

15:40 - Be very careful, Batgirl. Very careful. You are already fighting for renewed CIG face time and you sure aren’t going to make that easy by saying nice things about that other game.

Hey, speaking of games, did you realize that Batgirl’s still playing one? That moon has actually been getting closer for several minutes!

:chanpop:

To my enormous relief, at 16:30 Batgirl starts talking about monitor crap I feel absolutely no duty to summarize. As it begins I say a silent prayer that it might actually stretch for another 20 minutes or so and allow me to bring this overlong summary to a conclusion because WE AREN'T EVEN AT THE HALF-WAY MARK!

Purgatory.

...and it lasts about 2 minutes.

OH FOR THE LOVE OF BENJI WE STILL HAVEN’T REACHED THE HALF-WAY MARK!

18:22 - Batgirl mentions her gratitude for the donations that helped her upgrade her hardware... which then becomes a chance to remind people how Patreon is spelled... which then becomes a chance to give her address. But hey, she’s hanging in and still talking about this game as others fall away and seek out idols. She at least deserves to get paid for what she endures and the truth is that Kegerator sure isn’t going to fill itself.

19:29 - Oh wait... is she going to start talking about monitors again? Saints be praised!

It lasts about ten seconds.

(Are you starting to sense the true purgatorial power on display here? Because it’s so overwhelming it’s bleeding into the meta and making me victim of it as well.)

19:39 - Batgirl segues to another topic with the grace of Makarova.

That topic is her love of several other game genres and her particular fondness for the story and agency rich RPG world of Fallout Games, particularly Bethesda’s entries. And this gets Batgirl musing, as she passes the 8 minute mark of her approach to Yellin (yes, she’s still playing the game — really!), about some things.

20:18 - ”I’ve been playing them like crazy, and... I don’t get a lot of followers when I play them on Twitch because I can’t help but believe those games would be boring for people watching...

:negative::negative::negative:

(I’m taking a few deep breaths at this point.)

20:34 - Batgirl talks about how much she loves exploration and discovery of lore, stories, terminals and the rest of it you get in Bethesda’s Fallout games.

Oh Batgirl, you don’t worry. You won’t have to wait that much longer. My boy Todd has such wonderful things to show you with  Starfield, and you will finally see your love of RPGs and Sci-Fi rewarded like you never dared dream... You gotta believe!)

20:54 - Batgirl shares her feeling as she approaches Yellin (still approaching!) that it would be a tragedy of CIG didn’t flesh out their worlds like Bethesda has done. After all, you can fit all of Skyrim in one of Chris’s craters, right? And as the Code Whisperer assured himself some time ago, “worlds need life and danger”.

Yes, Batgirl, that would be a tragedy. Chris has promised us millions of NPCs and Tony Z. has spoken of the lifelong relationships we will form with them. It would be quite a letdown if those huge planets that take us 15 gameless minutes to even land on ended up bereft of much in the way of plots, stories and adventure.

But I’ve heard it often said about this game, particularly in response to critics, that “you make your own fun.” And as long as you know how to do that? Well, you should be absolutely fine.

(END OF PART 1 because I need a break and we’re still not to the halfway mark. I will eventually append this with a Part 2 and drop a link rather than throw another novel in here...)

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #845 on: March 13, 2018, 11:12:32 AM »
I suppose that in Chris Robbers mind getting someone else to do the work for you for free is "Working on development".

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #846 on: March 16, 2018, 10:20:48 AM »

jwh1701

« Reply #847 on: March 16, 2018, 12:08:54 PM »
LOL!! They want Chris Roberts to step down. :emot-lol:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/84vwnv/an_open_letter_to_cloud_imperium_games/

LOL I will step in and put a note defending the awesome ongoing development of this game.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #848 on: March 16, 2018, 02:54:44 PM »

LOL I will step in and put a note defending the awesome ongoing development of this game.

Well it didn't even survive 10 mins over at the theme park :emote-lol:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/84x59n/an_open_letter_to_cloud_imperium_games/

jwh1701

« Reply #849 on: March 16, 2018, 04:52:17 PM »
Well it didn't even survive 10 mins over at the theme park :emote-lol:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/84x59n/an_open_letter_to_cloud_imperium_games/

Yep so sad put some effort into to it, both posts removed almost instantly.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:05:52 PM by jwh1701 »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #850 on: March 25, 2018, 08:02:53 AM »
The SpaceBro Show -  3/23/2018

1:43 - "we're gonna be back to the same [progress graphs], where it's these cool bars that never do anything for the last quarter to the whole year"
1:43:57 - "'two or three years it's going to be better', I was here saying the same thing and here we are. I mean [...] this damn item 2.0, we been hearing about this shit for like two year, and it's still not all the way implemented. It's not in. We keep hearing about this magic sauce about it.'"
1:45:25 - 'I like how they're including us, that's a plus. but I also feel like this is methodology in order to push things out of 3.2 and then blame us'  <--- @G0RF L@@K
1:49:35 - "We need more gameplay loops" "My God. This is a multiplayer game it's supposed to be long term, and we still haven't fixed the party system" "What party system?" "Exactly"
1:50 - 'oh we're raggin on CIG? Well usually everyone is a kissass fanboy and you don't get to hear this stuff. We still love Star Citizen. We've been hearing two or three years since forever'
1:53 - "'we could all get into a connie together' oh great, it would be me driving and a bunch of dudes hanging out watching; cause there's nothing to do in the ship together."
1:55 - 'wtf am I even voting on, I don't understand half of these'
1:57:15 - "I don't like this survey"
3:00:13 - 'Theres been 5 "exclusive" ships that they've re-released. Everything I bought that I thought was special doesn't mean shit, and it kinda pisses me off a little bit.'
3:23:45 - "I don't care about nothing but the ships"
3:29:40 - riff on limited sales

jwh1701

« Reply #851 on: March 25, 2018, 12:49:01 PM »
Another Star citizen made it to the coveted concierge status

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/86xk28/sigh_well_i_did_itconcierge/

LagOutLoud 3 points 18 hours ago

I was the same. It get's worse. Now I'm less than 700 away from a gold flight suit...

Meowz

« Reply #852 on: March 25, 2018, 09:33:08 PM »
Idk what 3.5k gets you now with the new gold items but the 3.5k I got back has provided much more fun than SC ever did! I came here a long time ago to see the opposing views and have some laughs at DS. Instead I got my money back, the irony...

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #853 on: March 26, 2018, 04:25:31 AM »
Idk what 3.5k gets you now with the new gold items but the 3.5k I got back has provided much more fun than SC ever did! I came here a long time ago to see the opposing views and have some laughs at DS. Instead I got my money back, the irony...

:emot-lol: yeah, it's been a crazy ride. Back in 2015 when I wrote The July Blog, I never imagined that we would still be here debating and loling at this train wreck. You would think that a company with some many people and so much money, would have delivered something by now. It's unbelievable to me.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #854 on: March 26, 2018, 06:16:33 AM »
Gorf is at it again.

Quote from: G0RF" post="482506665
Quote from: The Titanic" post="482503378
One of the cutest things about Chris is that it always feels like he's out of touch with everything going on around him.

We've only actually seen him try to play his own game one time, and that single time spawned years of hilarious gifs and other things. But the root of it was he had no idea about his own game. He acted and played it as if it was the first time he's ever seen it. He commented on such things as bashing his own chat interface, etc.

So from the standpoint where he really doesn't know and probably most importantly doesn't care about what his own game can actually for real do, all he needs to do is assume. So he goes on record bashing other games and studios because he can only assume his is better. For him though, his assumptions are his for real belief.

This is sort of his wizardry that has helped to keep his dumpster fire burning though. His complete inability to recognize the failure of his game and just blindly ignore its condition and tout it like its better than anything has given people willpower to believe in his lies.

Unfortunately however, because he's also got this sycophantic-like part public and people whom already believe his game is better than most AAA products as is, it's going to be tough for him to believe anything less.

There's a hilarious possibility that all the paid internet management companies he has doing social media crowd control are some of the people he listens to and is told about. It's very likely he has no idea what those users are. So his companies finger on the pulse may be dead set on listening to the people they are paying to turn the tide of belief.  Pure misunderstanding.

Now how to explain how they continually make the same amount of money each year even at this stage of doubt and shaking belief?  Dunno! :)

My best guess here is there is a larger bank account nobody knows about that is continually piping a set amount of money into CIG at pretty even intervals. May be in the form of those magical "completionist packages" that just randomly get sold about once a day or something but naturally nobody ever claims to be the buyer of. I would be hard pressed to believe any company working via donations would continually make almost the same amount of yearly revenue. Especially when confidence is lowering.

He is the chief emitter of this distorted view, though, due to his amoral character and his myopic biases towards Assets against Mechanics. He’s pathologically addicted to the game loop of selling high poly ultra-fidelity in game assets and robbing his own artists of their design agency by micromanaging even the most trivial details to the Nth degree then telling himself “I am the Master and by my touch I have elevated what began as mundane object into priceless art.”

It’s not that he believes his sycophants, its that he demands conformity to his narcissism and micromanagement impulse and organizational survival demands obedience. It drove guys like Jennison out, it’s driven lots of talent out. The talent that remains like Paul Jones or Dearsley or whoever is willing to indulge this fiction of Chris’s transcendent artistry but it is a fiction. The same is no less true of Sandi, who is even less competent — a figure of the highest symbolic power yet utterly inessential to her high station. So inessential that this VP of Marketing for a $180 million dollar gaming studio doesn’t even know basic details of the demonstrations her husband is presenting at their biggest externally-facing marketing event of the year! If only prickly Pete Hines had it so easy!

Utterly inessential, yet it goes without saying inside CIG that anyone in the organization who might cross this personified hood ornament is out the door. Sycophancy is demanded by Chris and Sandi both and the history of the entire project is a testament to just how malformed organizational processes become under the nepotistic rule of unhinged narcissism.

The fact that lower ego artists yield to Chris’s vanity and engage in a mutually agreed upon act of collusive fiction that in turn justifies the incredible wastes of dev time and backer money is one example of how the pathology of Chris is systemic inside Cloud Imperium Games. It is now and has always been one of the biggest taxes backers pay and just as “The Road To CitizenCon” glamorized one set of pathologies Chris should be profoundly ashamed of, so too “The Origin of Spaceships” glamorized another set. They are proud of that which they should apologize for because it has been demanded of them for so long that the dysfunction has been normalized.

If 2017 has kept a steadyish pace month to month I’d have believed the Tracker reflected natural ongoing demand, even if it was difficult to believe. But we saw a turnaround miracle in the span of the last 5 weeks that really does suggest manipulation even while an unplayable 3.0 was dumped at the 11th hour. While it’s possible the most far gone of the whales might account for it the sums are such that it’s far easier for me to imagine yet another pathology — an invisible one — very rooted in Chris Roberts precedent (misallocating development money for film FX in the good old days). It would be perfectly in keeping with organizational deviance already made visible elsewhere through close scrutiny.

I can only assume the scoffing from some of the silent observers always in our company that we might posit such a thing. :tinfoil: Madness.

There is infernal, nearly invisible machinery guiding logic and action within Cloud Imperium Games in accordance with the indomitable will of dishonest, vain people. The backers only rarely see it not because it can not be seen but because they do not wish to see it — for once it is fully stared at in all its ghastliness, it cannot be unseen. So too the metronomically grinding gears of this machine, a crunching easily mistaken for some ambient hum of room noise, are made distinct from it with cautious ears and they can not be unheard once discerned.

Do you silent lurkers want to see it? As you sit there shaking your heads, closing your minds and telling yourself it’s not really true, it’s too harsh a view. We can show it to you, but do you really want to see it? Hear it?

If you do, watch this. Closely. @ 41:46

Watch a man laugh to tell a brazen lie he does not believe and ask his brother to confirm it for an audience of thousands. Watch the reflection of his wife’s head as she turns in surprise to hear that request for confirmation go out to the brother, and hear their chuckling as that confirmation is given. See the faces of a team of developers who mostly know it can’t be so — they are half a year from even shooting the motion capture and God knows they haven’t got their AI working nor their missions fully built and there are assets required that haven’t yet been begun and will not for the entire year ahead.

See the discomfort of some, the knowing smiles of others?  And hear it conclude as Ben Lesnick of all people blurts out “No more dates!”

Why, you might wonder, did he do so after a room full of people jointly smiled their agreement with the Boss’s ambitious claim for an audience of thousands in the very season of goodwill towards men?

Because he knew it wasn’t so. They all knew. They knew it was wrong and they nodded along anyone because it was asked of them and to defy it would be subversion. And Lesnick knew it was wrong, he knew it wasn’t so, and while he could not defy it he could at least plead for it not to be repeated.

This was but a glimpse of the machinery and it is hidden everywhere in plain view should you wish to see it. It is not hatred or trolling to call it what it is for it is monstrous. It is wrong and you know it’s wrong and to root for that which you know is wrong to succeed for the sake of the game you desperately wish to play is to become yet another gear in a hellish machine yourself. So lurk silently if you must but don’t delude yourself that this is all some chattering sophistry from losers who can not see the Grand Design. We see it better than you think, only we call it what it is, and if you can’t you’re a fool and if you won’t you’re a liar.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk