Author Topic: Battlecruiser 3000  (Read 7139 times)

dexatron

Battlecruiser 3000
« on: August 15, 2018, 04:59:31 AM »
Hi Derek,

A quick question:

You are sitting on a highly sophisticated spaceflight game engine with true 3D mechanics, flight and combat systems.  You have at the very least a competent MMO design as well.  Can this engine be separated from its display layer to be used with UE/Unity/ Cry etc? 

just curious...
Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Battlecruiser 3000
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 05:06:10 AM »
You mean the graphics engine. Yes - because it's a completely separate entity. In fact, both the space graphics engine and the planetary graphics engine, are different and separate. Just like AI, audio, physics, character animation, UI etc

If you look at the current work I've been doing, you will see that most of it has nothing to do with space graphics.

http://3000ad.com/ucce30-changelog/
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dexatron

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 05:50:03 AM »
Hi Derek,

Super job!  I've spent some time reading through your LOD website, it's impressive - I didn't know you were still in active development, it makes sense though.   I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

Greg

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 06:11:01 AM »
Hi Derek,

Super job!  I've spent some time reading through your LOD website, it's impressive - I didn't know you were still in active development, it makes sense though.   I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

Greg

Thanks. Yeah LOD is coming along slowly but surely. The port is a major nightmare, but I have no choice.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dexatron

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 07:09:37 AM »
Imagine how wonderful your life could be with the Star engine j/k  :shocked:  Having never done a full port, I can just imagine the pain it would cause, especially delta time, incompatible api's, plumbing...

dexatron

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 10:09:10 AM »
btw Derek, did you consider cryEngine for your game development?  What did you end up choosing and are you liking it?

No matter how much I try, I just can't bring myself to use Unity in a productive way, its like there is a mental bock there for me.  I'm still searching for a 3D engine that I really like.

dexatron

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 05:57:43 AM »
I was going through your trello cards, I really like what you are doing, I think it has big potential.  Your core mechanics look especially well though out.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 02:34:48 PM »
btw Derek, did you consider cryEngine for your game development?  What did you end up choosing and are you liking it?

No I didn't consider any third-party game engines. For all my games (besides LOD), I designed and built a game engine from scratch.

dexatron

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 03:45:24 PM »
I can understand that, the biggest plus being you don't have to warp your brains thought process to work with someone else's methodology, the biggest minus being its one hell of alot more work!

greg

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 05:47:40 AM »
It depends on what you want to do. If the tech isn't there to build what you want, then you have to create it - if you can.

e.g. with LOD I started out wanting to update the legacy BC/UC engines which have been used in all (besides LOD, and LOD Tactics which used Unity) my games over the years. After a few months I realized that it was going to be more work than I was interested in doing, let alone had time for. I'm not young and foolish anymore. So I licensed various middleware, and built a custom engine for LOD. Then this happened. And I'm still dealing with the fallout of that decision.

dexatron

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 07:34:35 AM »
The technology side is an easy answer, I'd put every future keystroke into Unreal Engine.  The money side is way complex.  With the investment in several platforms already made (hope you guys can claim R&D tax credits) I would finish the PC version and see how it does.  If your commitment to Unreal is solid then there's your future however painful the transition will be (but it will pay off in spades).   Man you are dealing with development challenges several magnitudes greater than myself, its very impressive, how do you hold it all together?

Great job, Greg
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 07:50:32 AM by dexatron »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk