Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1314607 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #1350 on: October 18, 2017, 02:21:17 PM »
Chris is too busy integrating the new Norwegian studios they recently have opened.

Wait! Wot?  :magical:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

ChrisIhao

« Reply #1351 on: October 18, 2017, 03:42:06 PM »
Ok. Here is a long post I just posted on one of those Reddit threads (deleted in an hour probably):

The problem is that I paid for the original vision, but I got more than I bargained for. If we take the car metaphor further: imagine that you paid for a concept car, lets say the Tesla model X, which we can imagine was crowd funded by customers sharing the "vision" of the creators. They were promised a sports utility vehicle that has all the modern facilities you could expect from a modern car at this price range.

However, as money started rolling in big time, instead of speeding up the development and focusing all the efforts on finishing the car, then thinking about developing new cars, they decided that the model X, although not realistically achievable within any given time schedules, should be capable of atmospheric flight. Of course this represented a whole set of new problems for the developers, as no one had done anything similar before, but they were dead set on making the car. If this meant that the car, which was promised to be launching the middle of next year, would be delayed with another year, so be it. To actually be able to finance the car, they started to sell new concepts of cars which also included new areas of usage, which meant that they suddenly had to spread their efforts even further and begin working on these new concepts to keep the new customers satisfied.

Even more money started rolling in, and Tesla decided: "nah, this isnt perfect enough, we need the model x to be able to break out of the atmosphere and land on the moon". This meant that they had to change the entire engine instead of simply modifying it, which meant that they had to go back to the drawing board once again and redesign essential parts of it, while also including atmospheric shielding to make it possible to re-enter the atmosphere upon returning. Time schedules were further skewed and promises again were not kept. As they realized that this started to become a trend, Tesla suddenly decided that the best strategy at this point were to simply stop promising things.

The original backers which simply wanted a nice car to get to work, the supermarket or their woodland cabins started wondering what was happening. What would come next? That the car, which basically still was a rough model you could sit inside of to get the feel of it, was to be able to reach Mars instead of simply the moon? The backers knew that since the car werent even be able to drive around properly yet, much less to achieve atmospheric flight, so a lot of them started reconsidering if they wanted to gamble on the car even leaving the concept stage, with so much of their hard earned money invested into this project. The new promised concept cars seemed even further away. Backers started pulling out and demanded refunds, which in turn required Tesla to come up with ways to keep the funding going. They then returned to what had worked so well before; to sell even more concepts, while the backers who paid for the original concept of a road vehicle had nothing substantial to show for. What they do get is a pre-alpha model they can take home, but they can only drive around in their driveways for now, due to a lot of technical problems. Tesla again says; it takes as long as it takes, prompting even more people stop believing in the ever expanding vision of the heads of Tesla. Instead of having this second rate car standing around in their garage doing nothing, they decide that enough is enough.

This is honestly how I feel about this whole thing. I backed before there even was planned a fps aspect in the game, and already at the time this was introduced I was somewhat skeptical. I decided to back SC because it was supposed to be a spiritual sequel to the Wing Commander series, which I loved so much back in the day, and that in a big way. I spent exactly $1000 buying several interesting ships, which seem to now drown in the huge amount of new concepts, simply based on the fact that I wanted a great space simulator, not a life simulator. I do however love the "idea" of being able to land and exit a space craft, but not if this detracts from the initial core concept of the game. A glorious space sim needs to have a lot of available systems and sectors to interesting, but at this rate we will sadly have only two or three "finished" systems two years from now.

That said; of course this is a voluntary endeavor, and no one is forcing anyone into something, and in my case I just sold off everything except from a core package of around 70 dollars (which includes SQ42). I think I will keep this one, but no way if I am putting more money into this as long as 3.0 is the best they can come up with.

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #1352 on: October 18, 2017, 04:42:08 PM »
If nobody is forcing anybody they they ought to refund people's money without question.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1353 on: October 18, 2017, 06:15:18 PM »
Ok. Here is a long post I just posted on one of those Reddit threads (deleted in an hour probably):

Welcome to the forum. Don't worry, as long as you're not here to troll us, you're more than welcome. It's not Reddit. We're not trying to convince anyone of anything, and nobody is going to up or down vote you. Backer, hater, neutral or whatever, we don't care. We're just here for the lols of this on-going train wreck.

Anyway, your analogy is a perfect take on similar ones that some of us have come up with over the years. Which is hilarious because some of those other guys completely entangle it when they talk about 3.0 saying crap like "Yeah, they promised us that 3.0, but what we have now is so much bigger and better" <----  :lol:

I backed before there even was planned a fps aspect in the game, and already at the time this was introduced I was somewhat skeptical.

I believe that fps was always in the original design. They only tacked on the Godawful Star Marine as a test bed; in the same way that Arena Commander was the test bed for the flight combat.

That said; of course this is a voluntary endeavor, and no one is forcing anyone into something

Except for the part where they've now stopped giving refunds; even though they have failed to deliver on promises.

and in my case I just sold off everything except from a core package of around 70 dollars (which includes SQ42). I think I will keep this one, but no way if I am putting more money into this as long as 3.0 is the best they can come up with.

That's pretty reasonable. You can buy a bad game for $70 and not get a refund.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Ghostmaker

« Reply #1354 on: October 19, 2017, 06:55:07 PM »
Quote from: dsmart

LOL  :smug:

GaryII

« Reply #1355 on: October 20, 2017, 04:24:09 AM »

Or you can buy "Limited jpg Gamechanger" for 850$ and also not get a refund   :haw:

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 04:26:08 AM by GaryII »

Motto

« Reply #1356 on: October 20, 2017, 04:32:06 AM »

Greggy_D

« Reply #1357 on: October 20, 2017, 05:42:08 AM »
If those jackholes can't see what CIG is up to, then they need to lose every single penny they've spent.  Including another $850 for the Dream/Sunk Cost Fallacy ship.

Motto

« Reply #1358 on: October 20, 2017, 05:53:01 AM »
They should call it the Liquidation Sale  :D

David-2

« Reply #1359 on: October 20, 2017, 06:52:39 AM »
You have to admit, there's a bit of amusing whimsy in this scam. 

... will go on sale ... and be in limited quantities."

Yes, as if it was a print individually pulled by the artist from a deteriorating matrix of limited lifespan, then hand numbered and signed.

Instead, of course, being a bunch of electrons which can be duplicated for free any number of times.

Motto

« Reply #1360 on: October 20, 2017, 07:22:00 AM »
There is only one reason for it being a limited edition and that is that you can only buy it with fresh cash. All the other things like attracting whales with the word "limited" is just a bonus. Target the 2K whale group with a limitation of 2.000 copies and that's another 1.7 million to get them until X-Mas.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:23:38 AM by Motto »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:30:32 AM by dsmart »

Greggy_D

« Reply #1362 on: October 20, 2017, 07:31:56 AM »
There is only one reason for it being a limited edition and that is that you can only buy it with fresh cash. All the other things like attracting whales with the word "limited" is just a bonus. Target the 2K whale group with a limitation of 2.000 copies and that's another 1.7 million to get them until X-Mas.

Bingo...the "limited" moniker is going to trigger those who would usually be on the fence into "gotta buy it now" lemmings.

The morons over on the SC reddit are already theory crafting (dreaming) about how the ship is going to work.  Never mind that CIG still can't code a buggy going up a ramp.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1363 on: October 20, 2017, 08:39:14 AM »

Bingo...the "limited" moniker is going to trigger those who would usually be on the fence into "gotta buy it now" lemmings.

The morons over on the SC reddit are already theory crafting (dreaming) about how the ship is going to work.  Never mind that CIG still can't code a buggy going up a ramp.

Forget about the coding part. They still have to build the ship. Then get it into the game. No mention nothing of the gameplay mechanics it is supposed to be promoting.

$850 for a JPEG

David-2

« Reply #1364 on: October 20, 2017, 08:46:55 AM »
Oh, I know what the practical aspects of "limited" are, to CIG.  But amusing and whimsical nonetheless, right?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk