Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1316410 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #240 on: April 23, 2017, 08:53:22 AM »
They still don't get that it is their MVP.

No, they really don't.

They already started removing items from 3.0 schedule, even though it's not even one week old yet. They did the same thing when they rushed 2.6.0 out last Christmas after croberts was saying 3.0 was coming before Dec 19th, 2016. Then right up to the recently released 2.6.3, they had removed several critical items. So what should've been 2.7, ended up now being 3.0 which doesn't even contain 25% of what was promised to be in 3.0 - last Aug 2016.

I believe that 3.0, whatever ends up in it, is the MVP that croberts has been threatening for over a year now. They have not only run out of time and money, but key people have left, are leaving, and sources tell me there are several more on the way out because they've started trimming the four (!) studios around the world due to dwindling finances. Which explains the latest referral cash grab which the community (this is a 4K upvoted Reddit thread on that) has been revolting against.

And if you haven't yet got wind of the latest Hello Kitty fiasco and referral system; it's truly hilarious.

When you think about what happened to the Lily drone and similar projects, whereby State/Fed officials had to get involved because they were a public concern, that's precisely what I see happening in the end. Especially since most of the execs involved have been involved in similar ventures here and overseas, and which led to failure and loss of investor money. It's all very well documented as I wrote here last month.

As to the 3.0 planets (there aren't any), just as I predicted some months back, sources are telling me that the reason they can't do planets, only moons and asteroids which can be placed in the space scenes like stations, is because they simply can't get it to work. Let alone have entire planetary bodies which support seamless space<->planetary transitions as they've been promising. And even placing these moons in the scene, ends up in a major performance issue; not to mention networking problems.

Let's not forget that, now in Summer 2017, 6 years and almost $150 million later, assuming they do release a 3.0 with these moons, they still haven't completed 1 of the 110 systems they promised for the game. All of which contain stations, planets, moons, asteroid fields etc. This is the game's star map. Not even 1% of that is built.

I get that some backers have hope; but between the reputation management accounts being created all over the place, the fake Star Citizen "reviews/previews" by sites nobody ever heard of, all they're doing is one massive disinformation campaign. And the toxic backers (who were mobilized by actions taken by CIG themselves these past years) who are waging an Internet wide war against dissent, some of whom we believe to be actively engaged in money laundering via the Grey market, have just made things a whole lot worse; and that has completely tainted the project.

As I said back in July 2015 when I wrote that first blog, these past two years, I haven't seen anything that has swayed my opinion that either of these games will ever see the light of day as promised.

When I backed this game in Nov 2012, never in my wildest dreams, did I think that it would come to this. It's all just so very sad.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

nightfire

« Reply #241 on: April 23, 2017, 09:32:02 AM »
Let's not forget that, now in Summer 2017, 6 years and almost $150 million later, assuming they do release a 3.0 with these moons, they still haven't completed 1 of the 110 systems they promised for the game. All of which contain stations, planets, moons, asteroid fields etc. This is the game's star map. Not even 1% of that is built.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/672z98/how_can_the_possibly_make_all_those_planets_for/

Even now, some backers still believe that once the Miracle Tool (aka "SolEd", wtf?) has been crafted, entire systems can be put together with "copy/paste", and that it will only take a day to make a planet. Let's forget for a moment that in a different saga, an Entity much more resourceful than CIG had to put in an entire 7 day week to make that work… but then again, not everyone understands game development  :D

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #242 on: April 23, 2017, 10:32:01 AM »
Some of these Star Citizen backers are completely broken

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #243 on: April 23, 2017, 10:35:29 AM »

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/672z98/how_can_the_possibly_make_all_those_planets_for/

Even now, some backers still believe that once the Miracle Tool (aka "SolEd", wtf?) has been crafted, entire systems can be put together with "copy/paste", and that it will only take a day to make a planet. Let's forget for a moment that in a different saga, an Entity much more resourceful than CIG had to put in an entire 7 day week to make that work… but then again, not everyone understands game development  :D

They're morons.

Looks like whoever created that thread, saw me tweet a link to my post earlier today.

StanTheMan

« Reply #244 on: April 23, 2017, 01:11:09 PM »
Some of these Star Citizen backers are completely broken

Needs modifying for Star Citizen

J How

• Smarties
« Reply #245 on: April 23, 2017, 03:23:24 PM »
At this point I doubt if SC 3.0 failed or if 2.7 failed (not sure what they'll call it), I have changed my mind based on what has been posted on /r/dereksmart and /r/starcitizen

Difficulty with Citizens who are frequent visitors to reddit, they are too far gone to notice. The white knights and the sub groups is they will not accept the MVP hasn't been delivered. No matter what is put out, the "fans" will lap it up and spend more money on SC.

Is it long term sustainable? Doubt it

For the time being, the "fans" will be those who realise new backers are either not forthcoming, or just not spending money on the project. The hardline "fans" will then put down more money on Star Citizen or potentially create new accounts to "support" the project.

The difficulty normal (non SC fans) when seeing their posts is that,
A) The negativity - any criticism is immediately Derek Smart or Goons
B) They see the SC reddit and just back away naturally
C) See the comments on SC reddit and decide not to partake in the community at large (bad for new players as the manual is hardly up to scratch)
D) Get into the community and realise how toxic it is (not talking all SC fans, a minority is toxic but brings the whole group down)
E) Look at the RSI website and look at the cost of the larger packages (although the site is hardly clear at the moment)
F) SC mentions is pcgaming or any games journalist site (positive or negative) are like giant magnets for both sides of the argument and you can't have a rational conversation there, on either side - not talking goons either (those shouting block capitals SCAM)

Without going in to things which need to be proven (funding tracker being false, paid reddit posts, etc) already it's hardly opening with arms welcome to new players. The more SC appears to fail, the more the "fans" believe it is succeeding. Not getting in to the topic of how badly it is failing and behind schedule, think they are going to go all out and cause havoc if the new version drops - and some are not happy with it.

If SC 3.0 or 2.7 is bad, then rather than blame CIG, they will blame Derek Smart and Goons. How far they will go (usual death threats, attempted DOXing, lies, swatting, turning up at people's houses) at this point i would not put anything past them, again to me some do seem to have clear and genuine mental health issues. With the money being dropped into SC I'm concerned that we will have "fans" doing some extreme things to support the game, can't say what for sure but I do see it happening.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 03:35:49 PM by J How »

nightfire

« Reply #246 on: April 23, 2017, 03:33:19 PM »

StanTheMan

« Reply #247 on: April 23, 2017, 03:49:42 PM »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #248 on: April 24, 2017, 05:38:42 AM »
If SC 3.0 or 2.7 is bad, then rather than blame CIG, they will blame Derek Smart and Goons. How far they will go (usual death threats, attempted DOXing, lies, swatting, turning up at people's houses) at this point i would not put anything past them, again to me some do seem to have clear and genuine mental health issues. With the money being dropped into SC I'm concerned that we will have "fans" doing some extreme things to support the game, can't say what for sure but I do see it happening.

They won't do shit. These are cowardly fuck ups in the dregs of society who talk big on the Internet. The project will die, and when it does, that's all they're going to be doing: talking. They will find a way to hand wave it all away, some will find a way to justify it, someone to blame etc, while others will never admit that they were played for suckers. Instead, they will be writing about how trying and failing to do something is OK, that they were along for the ride, that they knew it stood a chance of failure etc.

At the end of the day, none of that will change anything. When the project fails, we all lose because this project, and the money raised around it, was a once in a lifetime thing which I can say with certainty, will never happen again in gaming. No matter whose side someone happens to be on, we all - as games - end up losing anyway.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #249 on: April 24, 2017, 07:29:50 AM »
Star Citizen. All the pipes

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #250 on: April 24, 2017, 08:06:34 AM »
6 years + $150 million (of other peoples money) + 500 team = visual fidelity of pooping in your space suit.

https://gfycat.com/FlickeringDefensiveBluetickcoonhound

Ghostmaker

« Reply #251 on: April 24, 2017, 09:34:47 AM »
6 years + $150 million (of other peoples money) + 500 team = visual fidelity of pooping in your space suit.

:wtchris:

Eight zillion videos of people shooting REAL GUNS on Youtube, and they cranked THIS out?

Jerry Miculek doesn't make those faces. Hell, FPSRussia doesn't make those faces.

:black101:

StanTheMan

« Reply #252 on: April 25, 2017, 08:36:40 AM »

He looks like he is trying to pass a particularly hard stool, not firing a gun.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #253 on: April 25, 2017, 12:17:29 PM »
From VirtualCaptain (the maintainer)

https://starcitizentracker.github.io/ has a few new visual enhancements. Added fidelity if you will.

Probably the most useful is percentages of each status:

The original list comes from SC wikia, and has promise dates for prettymuch everything now. The page needs dates to tell if something is stagnant or a more recent promise.

I really did not anticipate doing this much data entry myself but even the totally open google doc got barely a handful of edits; probably half of which were just people messing around with the sorting.

The good news is once each promise has a approximate date and an optional link, I don't expect much to change very fast. CIG being themselves.

The bad news is there is still about 2 years of 10 for the chairman promises to consider. Thankfully the summaries on http://scqa.info/ make that much easier than watching the videos.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #254 on: April 27, 2017, 08:28:15 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk