Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1313885 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #1455 on: November 11, 2017, 08:32:00 AM »
LOL!! This is so good

Dear CIG,

yes, it's me again.

I was very curious how you would manage this new Burndown and schedule report format in a way, that every Backer would be able to understand.
And as it turns out, you don't. You don't even provide a "guide" on how to read or interpret your numbers that you provide (That was done by @sqrw and thanks for that).

So what did you change for the better? Nothing. You don't even put the numbers into the context of last week. It's just a picture for 4-5 seconds and nobody mentions what's on it in the segment afterwards.

Not even in the "summary" there is a summary. Just a "we're making progress" no effing shit, you're "making progress" since last year.
And one thing that I really dislike is, if you actually record meetings, then give us the real deal, don't make a cut in the middle of a sentense. That is rude AND smells fishy. Was the dev to say something that would actually be a valid information of the status of 3.0?

Most of that that was shown were "features" or "minor improvements", except for the "lights out - when ships spawn - bug", so honestly, we are in an Alpha, so these things don't matter!

And since I honestly doubt CIG still knows what Alpha actually means (except for beeing a good excuse when something doesn't work) here's a link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Alpha

Is it really necessary to delay a release because the "shopping terminals look added on" or other minor nitpicks? Hell no! I know CR is a perfectionist, but, as mentioned above, we're in an alpha, not the actual release. So give us the janky stuff and patch the good stuff in later. You've got that "awesome new Delta Patcher" don't you? So make use of it.

And the best part is, Erik doesn't even talk about "full release" anymore. He just mentioned PTU Release of 3.0. I wonder why? Maybe because the overall count wen't up (in most segments by nearly 50%) and you're running out of time for this year.

You've got 2 major events coming up (The end of Kickstarter Event, and the Holiday "live" stream), which take time to coordinate and "develop" the stuff for it. And you've roughly got 4-5 weeks left.

Is that enough to smash 78 Bugs and manage 262 Tasks? Looking back at the previous burndown segments where you only focused on one part of the game and it took 3 weeks to smash 20 bugs... well... I doubt it.

Which leads me to the same thing I asked for last week: Honesty.

Will you be able to manage a 3.0 release this year? Yes or no? Or will you do the dodgy solution and just release it on PTU, if so, why wait? It was good enough for 2 major events this year and it is good enough for 1000 Evocati. So why isn't it good enough for the rest of us? Many of whom are here from the beginning.
Btw. I don't believe this whole "they test specifics" story, if so you wouldn't need 1000 players just for that. And if it were true, why don't you do an ATV segment and let us look behind the curtain? Record what the Evocati actually do and show it to us. Maybe... every week in ATV, in Burndown? Heck Burndown almost takes 20 minutes and doesn't provide that much actual information. Get rid of the meeting recordings, keep the devs talking about bugs but add the Evocati Recordings.

So overall, another week, another failure on the honesty front. Maybe next week?

Best regards
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #1456 on: November 11, 2017, 10:58:42 AM »
Clearly he doesn't know anything about game development. How dare he question Chris and CIG like that?!

SpaceTroll

« Reply #1457 on: November 11, 2017, 11:08:00 AM »
1 week ago  ----> 57 bugs
Today -----> 82 bugs

I'm buying the completionist pack
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 11:18:59 AM by SpaceTroll »

N0mad

« Reply #1458 on: November 11, 2017, 11:14:16 AM »
Let's be honest. The Whales bought (nearly) all the Pioneers so the pressure is off until the next scheduled ship sale, at which point they'll suddenly appear to make progress, like a release to PTU - again all heavily NDA'd. Not that I'm cynical or anything, but it's a proven business model for CIG now, I don't expect them to stop just because there's no viable game.

SpaceTroll

« Reply #1459 on: November 11, 2017, 11:20:00 AM »
Squadron 42 is coming. Just one month to go.

You don't understand game development.

Star Chip

« Reply #1460 on: November 11, 2017, 02:11:17 PM »
Let's be honest. The Whales bought (nearly) all the Pioneers so the pressure is off until the next scheduled ship sale, at which point they'll suddenly appear to make progress, like a release to PTU - again all heavily NDA'd. Not that I'm cynical or anything, but it's a proven business model for CIG now, I don't expect them to stop just because there's no viable game.
The problem is can they implement the ship mechanics faster than they are selling new concept?

game changers    status
---------------------------------
Redeemer           forgotten
Reclamer            forgotten
Endeavor            forgotten
    medical          ???
    acclerator       ???
    farming          ???
    science           ???
    custom           ???
Reliant               forgotten
Prospector          forgotten
Genesis              forgotten
Herald                forgotten
Crucible              forgotten
Phoenix              LOL
Merchantman      LOL
890Jump             LOL
600i                   will see
Carrack               LOL
Orion                  LOL
Prowler               LOL
HullABCDE          LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Pioneer              $850
Idirs                   ???
Polaris                ???
Javelin                ???
Bangle                !!!!!!!!!!
Pegasus              ???
SpaceDoor          BUILD

Derek are you going to update your chart of engineering debt? Does it look better or worse?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 02:29:02 PM by Star Chip »

N0mad

« Reply #1461 on: November 11, 2017, 02:53:42 PM »
To be honest I haven't kept track of concept sales vs implementation.

How much of what they sell has actually been created within the game - even if it isn't accessible to backers yet?

How long does it take before they create it ie. Sale -> Creation time?

Has anyone looked at this in detail yet?

Meowz

« Reply #1462 on: November 11, 2017, 02:59:57 PM »
FU**ING LOL  :laugh:: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7c82e2/if_when_cig_reveals_their_gas_giant_tech_and_it/   :wtchris:

CIG can't even release their "basic" moon tech and these fools are over there theory crafting about how they will be able to fly into gas giants that look like the linked picture and how they will have to deal with radiation, turbulence, gravity and such to harvest resources. Meanwhile in reality land CIG can't produce the most basic of floating rock mining systems. I can't comprend the disconnect these people have from reality given the current evidence available.

:vince:

David-2

« Reply #1463 on: November 11, 2017, 03:27:50 PM »
CIG can't even release their "basic" moon tech and these fools are over there theory crafting about how they will be able to fly into gas giants that look like the linked picture and how they will have to deal with radiation, turbulence, gravity and such to harvest resources. Meanwhile in reality land CIG can't produce the most basic of floating rock mining systems. I can't comprend the disconnect these people have from reality given the current evidence available.

This'll show up as 2-3 tasks on next week's schedule ...

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1464 on: November 12, 2017, 06:53:32 AM »

:laffo:

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1465 on: November 12, 2017, 07:14:23 AM »
Since they took down the YT version via DMCA, this is another version of the video

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x68u1zy

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #1466 on: November 12, 2017, 01:51:22 PM »
It was really that slow of a frame rate? It looks really craptastic. I bet lots of citizens won't care. They will proclaim OOH AAH Fidelity!

Motto

« Reply #1467 on: November 12, 2017, 02:18:23 PM »
It was really that slow of a frame rate? It looks really craptastic. I bet lots of citizens won't care. They will proclaim OOH AAH Fidelity!

Now why would they name their right hand Fidelity?

nightfire

« Reply #1468 on: November 12, 2017, 02:34:28 PM »

Not at all surprising, some have already dutifully pointed out that SC is still in alpha and that anyone whining about low fps in an alpha build doesn't understand game development and shouldn't be here among the big boys.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 02:35:59 PM by nightfire »

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #1469 on: November 12, 2017, 03:09:16 PM »
I think they are the only gamers in the world who understand game development better than anybody else in the world. If Mass Effect or COD released a game that looked that bad they would be shredded on the web.

Last year I bought Titanfall 2 and COD IW I enjoyed them both, got some replay value and they were much better than anything Star Citizen has produced to date.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk