Author Topic: Star Citizen Scoops, Musings and Blogs  (Read 319244 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Star Citizen Scoops, Musings and Blogs
« on: November 21, 2016, 03:43:39 PM »
So CitizenCon came and went. Here are my thoughts.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 04:51:38 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen Scoops & Musings
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 11:50:06 AM »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen Scoops, Musings and Blogs
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 04:31:59 PM »
I wrote a new scoop post about the UK financials as well as the current state of affairs.

There is also an active discussion going on about this as well.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 07:54:50 AM by dsmart »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 06:10:05 AM »
My latest in-depth blog, Irreconcilable Differences, about Star Citizen's recent switch to Amazon's Lumberyard engine is live. Enjoy.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 08:00:41 AM »
Following statements by Ben Parry regarding the engine switch, I added an UPDATE section to the Irreconcilable Differences blog. It's in the middle, just before THE FUD SQUAD section. It is also pasted below.

Shortly after this blog went live, the link (start here) was posted on the Frontier Dev (makers of competing game, Elite Dangerous) forum where Ben Parry, a low-level Star Citizen visual effects programmer who used to work for Frontier, but now works for Foundry 42 (one of the CIG/RSI subsidiary companies in the UK), frequently posts. Taken to task over various inconsistencies in the CIG/RSI  explanation for the Star Engine to Lumberyard switch, his eventual meltdown (all captured to static images, seeing as they are likely to disappear) is an eye-opener, and further evidence as to just how messed up this whole project is now.

Basically, they can’t explain how it is possible for them to have merged a 50% modified derivative CE3.x (Star Engine) with a heavily modified derivative CE3.x (Lumberyard) in two days – and without losing any prior work. So he created a graphic to illustrate what he believes took place.

For the programmers reading this, yes, a programmer is claiming that what Chris Roberts wrote, is what happened. Then said programmer comes up with an illustration that proves otherwise. It needs no explanation, seeing as it clearly proves that they didn’t do any core Lumberyard integration – and especially not in two days. So basically, the claim to be using Lumberyard is currently restricted to basically the swap from Google Compute to Amazon EC2 (as abstracted in Lumberyard), as well as adding the required Lumberyard logo due to them using the Lumberyard implementation of EC2.

Further along the discussion, he finally admitted it.

Basically not only proving me right, but also – once again – proving that Chris Roberts is either a liar, or clueless as to what is actually going on with his project.

Ben also had this to say about Sean Tracy, the Technical Director for the project when someone pointed out that Ben is claiming that even Sean had no clue what CE3.x version they were actually using in Star Engine.

Sean’s an artist, he doesn’t have much incentive to care about exact version numbers. Despite this, he’s basically right that it’s a branch of 3.7-3.8-ish, and he’s talking openly about it.”

Ben was last seen updating his resume.

Though that still will not account for the 50% modification to the engine they claimed to have done
It does account for it. It means they changed nothing to their custom code to accommodate any merge, and thus got nothing from the proper Lumberyard code.

They have their 50% customization or whatever they claim (provided that is true, which who knows?). And they are still "behind" the 3.8 point that LY forker from. Exactly as much "behind" it as they were before.
Seriously, that graph shows a gross misunderstanding of how git works.
Nope. It shows that the SC branch remained as it were. They are not at the head of LY, lmao (and they are probably laughing their butts off too at that).

Parry explained it more on the frontier forums, and then some other guy also offered his understanding of it and Parry seems to have agreed.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4943960&viewfull=1#post4943960

Basically, second image shows the trunk red (but it's the same trunk as the first image) because it is now let's say labeled as LumberYard code, even though it is identical to the CryEngine "trunk" up to the point that LY forks off (3.8.x). (Ben or some other guy call it "LumberYard legacy code" up to the point of the fork off CE 3.8, where LumberYard proper begins). SC remains forked off the previous point (3.7) as it was originally.

No actual merge has occurred.

But they are now in "LumberYard" because Amazon has a license that gives them access to the CryEngine source code "history versions" before 3.8 (3.8 being the point where they forked off from and did their own thing); so basically SC can now say its a fork off LumberYard "legacy code" (ie Cryengine 3.7 as it always were) or has switched to LumberYard (marketing speak mainly).

After all is said and done, this was Ben’s stance on such an engine switch, back in Sept 2015. This was also pointed out to him in the discussion thread.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 08:30:02 AM by dsmart »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 08:31:38 AM »
No we know what happened to the 50% modification in Star Engine

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 06:21:19 AM »
My latest Star Citizen update[/url] is now live. Early 2017 Update (includes discussion of finances)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 03:27:08 PM by dsmart »

Stan

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 08:38:19 PM »
My latest Star Citizen update is now live.

Thanks.  It is another good read.

Darklegend1

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 11:15:47 PM »
My latest Star Citizen update is now live.

Thanks.  It is another good read.
+1 waiting for next installment  :)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 07:51:26 AM »
Following the San Francisco DA's lawsuit and TRO freezing the assets of the failed Lily drone project, I wrote a short missive outlining why Star Citizen backers need to be paying close attention to that.

Stan

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 06:44:08 PM »
Following the San Francisco DA's lawsuit and TRO freezing the assets of the failed Lily drone project, I wrote a short missive outlining why Star Citizen backers need to be paying close attention to that.

So CR might not be hanging on to his MOCAP studios when SC goes tits up.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 08:19:59 AM »
As Chris Roberts has now gone on the record describing Star Citizen as a Ponzi scheme, I wrote a new section "Gamestar interview" update
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 03:27:33 PM by dsmart »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 06:21:23 PM »
So the other day, someone over on SA was asking about what happened with the cease & desist which I had received from Ortwin last year. An incident which Shitzens kept twisting as they saw fit. Below are the facts.

Basically, after I made it public that Sandi and Chris were in fact married, which as we all know they were hiding (and confirmed by several sources to the media), they got mad.

Then some guy went digging, and found his own proof in the form of Sandi's IMDB listings in which she included their children. He then linked those to the same children's appearance in the Star Citizen pitch video. He tweeted it, and I re-tweeted it. That was basically it.

Next thing you know, I'm being accused of doxxing, stalking, being the anti-Christ etc. You know, the usual bullshit they do when trying to fit a round peg into a square hole.

Shortly thereafter, in what was the beginning of a litany of epic self-own screw-ups, that glorified moron, Ortwin, sent me a cease & desist on 09/30/15.

I took one look at it, laughed, sent it to my attorneys in CA.

Wasting no time, a few days later, my attorneys shredded him in a response.

That was the end of that.

And we never heard from them about it again. We were hoping they would sue or file a complaint, thus giving me the "in" I was looking for in order to get them to provide backers with the financials for the project. But I think they suspected that, and just dropped the whole thing. Much like they've dropped every single legal threat they've ever made.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:06:36 AM by dsmart »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk