Author Topic: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.  (Read 1134443 times)

Flashwit

Re: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.
« Reply #780 on: August 09, 2017, 11:02:02 AM »
Impressive responses in that thread I have to say. I read all the comments and there were only like 3 nutjobs.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #781 on: August 09, 2017, 11:09:00 AM »
Impressive responses in that thread I have to say. I read all the comments and there were only like 3 nutjobs.

That's because even the nutjobs are exercising caution nowadays. It's hilarious, really.  :smuggo:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #782 on: August 09, 2017, 01:31:34 PM »
"Really it is all about constant iteration from launch. The whole idea is to be constantly updating. It isn’t like the old days where you had to have everything and the kitchen sink in at launch because you weren’t going to come back to it for awhile. We’re already one year in - another two years puts us at 3 total which is ideal. Any more and things would begin to get stale." - Chris Roberts, 10/19/2012

2011 - 2017 = 6 years (Oct 2017)

And that's assuming we take his "one year in" to be literally 10/19/2011 as the start date range.

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #783 on: August 09, 2017, 01:39:52 PM »
For those of you who don't have access to the Goon enclave, Gorf (!) made this post earlier.

big nipples big life posted:
I'm so glad G0RF is back in the thread

Thats kind of you to say, BNBL - I appreciate it. I really do enjoy the camaraderie of the thread, despite the occasional derailments into cruelty. (I'd blame my disdain for bloodsport on age, but I think I just like people too much.) The time off was needed but man, it was hard staying quiet sometimes! Though I'm past the point of effort post indictments, and feel like charts and graphics are the more constructive outlet, please indulge me one that's overdue for those who've persevered here.

It's little remarked upon, perhaps little appreciated even here that the SA/SC has served some constructive purposes over its long life. (And Erillion and you /DS lurkers please sit down before you read the next paragraph because what follows WILL SHOCK YOU. Because not all of us have destructive methods or ends, no matter how fervently you damn us as one monstrousity of ill intent.)

The Kotaku UK series about Star Citizen came about in small part as a result of the madcap industriousness of goon research/postings on myriad topics. It made for compulsive reading, the best ringside seat to the most bizarre show in gaming. The sheer absurdity documented in prior pages lit beacon flares that passed one to the next and something rather miraculous happened; Gaming Journalism. Goons didn't MAKE them do anything, and Derek's personal crusade created its own complicated tensions (how could it not -- he broke Star Marine's story loudly and started his own set of avalanches -- if you doubt it check the July blog. ).

Kotaku UK chose to tackle what was pre-ordained to be a thankless task out of their own good grace. But write it they did, with extensive, carefully planned out research in advance, interviews with parties inside and out, present and past, on the record and off, and in the end, among other things, somebody actually wrestled the god's honest truth right out of Chris's own mouth about what actually happened with Illfonic and Star Marine.

Only the most deluded of zealots would today dare claim it was FUD. What it actually was was a brief, shining glimpse at something almost entirely missing from the 5 year proceedings: A Bright Moment of Accountability. Even now, the Erillions and Joe Blobers and DisturbedJim's of the world actually have a richer understanding of that period in CIG's history. It is accepted as accomplished fact, no longer debated, all narratives revised to admit "yes, the Illfonic relationship and project was mismanaged on both ends." And better still, employees of CIG and Foundry were given a chance to air their own griefs and frustrations, for lest we forget, they too have voices and not all sing in constant praise around the throne of their master and his process. Our efforts to raise awareness once were derided as FUD, and revisiting that MMORPG post about Star Marine speaks it plain, but FUD lead to FACT for all. Their understanding, ours and the gaming world's at large was advanced by that effort, and in some small but meaningful way, this thread played a part. And I am glad of it.

When I read the full story for the first time and saw all the sound bites, all the blanks finally filled in, knowing what I'd learned in advance of it, the little part we'd played, I just lit right up -- and must've had that stupid smile on my face for an hour. I just felt this warm, tiny shard of personal pride that I couldn't hope to fully explain to friends -- it would take 5000 pages of preamble and make even Portney's Complaint look like a brisk setup to its punchline. It was a shibboleth pride in the bizarre ongoing collaboration of strangers towards an improbably sometimes constructive end -- jokers, programmers, mockers, writers, haters, gamers, trolls and more -- trying to make finer sense of the madness of Star Citizen.

That is why, incidentally, the accusations of Erillion strike me as so comic. Take away the skeptics from this project and it's narrative is solely authored by the Chris Roberts and Erillions and Joe Blobers of the world. The backers would have less truth, not more, less objectivity, not more. All claims, no matter how outlandish, would be given credence. All histories revised to best accommodate future narratives. Star Marine would've been the sole and exclusive fault of "those illfonic idiots" but actually it was already in the game and all that stuff about "weeks not months" and Gold Horizon and "procedurally generated environmental destruction like in Battlefield" would be treated as canon rather than fodder, validation rather vapidity. We'd still have the old weekly trainwreck that was "Reverse the Verse" because all its stupidities would remain unremarked upon. All stories about the project would be clickbait and shillery, and while that might mean even more money in Chris's pockets, it would also mean less urgency to demonstrate that the funds thus far given will lead to the outcome formerly agreed upon.

So, anyway, I'm glad to be playing my small part again as I can, BNBL. Unlike many, I still don't want to see the company brought to ruination, even though Chris might deserve a chastening. I'd rather see the accountability long needed and only occasionally extracted from him made permanent. I don't expect that, of course, but I long for it anyway because well, I like people too much.  Seeing the mighty brought low for their hubris loses its satisfactions knowing that those who suffered in their shadow suffer more in their downfall. If such a moment comes, and I hope it doesn't, the ones at the top get to fly away anyway. Business class, in fact, because they deserve to be comfortable especially in the hard times, and the fans will never know anyway.

Motto

« Reply #784 on: August 09, 2017, 02:18:55 PM »
That would be this story...

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #785 on: August 09, 2017, 03:10:51 PM »

Motto

« Reply #786 on: August 09, 2017, 03:19:00 PM »
I like this one: Inside the Troubled Development of Star Citizen. If you read that and see what's happened since, it makes you wonder why one still can have any faith in Star Citizen reaching a satisfactory end.

Orgetorix

« Reply #787 on: August 09, 2017, 10:25:37 PM »
I like this one: Inside the Troubled Development of Star Citizen. If you read that and see what's happened since, it makes you wonder why one still can have any faith in Star Citizen reaching a satisfactory end.

Thanks for that link. I hadn't read that article yet, trying to keep up with 1700+ pages on SA is a way to spend some time for sure...

After reading that article I'm more convinced then ever, in my own opinion, that Chris Roberts is a Psychopath. A functional Psychopath, somewhat. He hasn't ended up in jail yet.

Probably not your serial killer type of Psycho, but still a person that has a glaring lack of conscience/empathy, a need to dominate and control, a vastly inflated sense of his own self worth, and the utterly flippant ability to lie with a straight face. To the point where he has to micromanage and dominate every aspect of any project he's associated with.

This quote from that article displays the varying aspects of his psychological defect to a T.

“I really do listen to everybody but then I make a decision and I expect my decision to be enacted,” Roberts said in response to the claims above. “When I really lose it, it's because people passive-aggressively don't [do what they’ve been instructed], and instead try to push their agenda, coming up with reasons why it needs to be this other way. That really, really annoys me because it just creates friction all the time. I like to have a lot of really good creative people around and I like them to contribute all their ideas but when I say we're going left instead of right, everyone needs to go left. It's not an ego thing – it's about the project."   -Chris Roberts

That's Chris in a microcosm, from his own mouth.

He lies about listening to what people have to say, but...

He likes to have creative people around him so he can coast off their work, and claim it as his own.

When they have the temerity to tell him that his autistic vision is a steaming turd that isn't doable in the real world. His only response is to call them passive aggressive d-bags, that only create friction.

And why do they create friction? Because they won't bow down and bask in the light of their God Emperor, and realize his every whim.

And it is an Ego thing, that's all he's ever known...   
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 10:46:18 PM by Orgetorix »

N0mad

« Reply #788 on: August 09, 2017, 10:49:16 PM »
I'd imagine Chris Roberts is the sort of person who pulls programmers off other tasks to prioritise having the fluid in a coffee cup to behave with real physics. I think he's a perfectionist who gets too focused on the details rather than seeing the bigger picture.

I can't wait to get a glimpse of the production meetings in the new format ATV - although it's all going to be staged for the cameras.

StanTheMan

« Reply #789 on: August 10, 2017, 08:01:49 AM »
I'd imagine Chris Roberts is the sort of person who pulls programmers off other tasks to prioritise having the fluid in a coffee cup to behave with real physics. I think he's a perfectionist who gets too focused on the details rather than seeing the bigger picture.

I can't wait to get a glimpse of the production meetings in the new format ATV - although it's all going to be staged for the cameras.

He isnt a perfectionist when it comes to almost everything to do with delivering Star Citizen or his movies or just about everything.

We shouldnt keep repeating the mantra.

The guy is a incompetent film maker and an incompetent game developer.

He is an accomplished liar.

Motto

« Reply #790 on: August 11, 2017, 11:10:33 AM »
Well, that ain't good...

Oh man, now they're actually saying that's it's their own fault that 3.0 is delayed  :doh:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 11:23:21 AM by Motto »

N0mad

« Reply #791 on: August 11, 2017, 12:04:15 PM »
Well, that ain't good...

Oh man, now they're actually saying that's it's their own fault that 3.0 is delayed  :doh:

Check this one out: because the UI designer mentioned VR in the ATV they think it's been confirmed

20 frames per second = lots of headaches and motion sickness - I can't wait for these guys to try it!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 12:06:32 PM by N0mad »

nightfire

« Reply #792 on: August 11, 2017, 12:12:19 PM »
This one is my favorite:

N0mad

« Reply #793 on: August 12, 2017, 01:11:17 AM »

Check out this one aswell: Seeing 2.6.3 at Gamescom will feel embarrassing :lol: :golfclap:

Motto

« Reply #794 on: August 12, 2017, 09:34:50 AM »
I don't know if this is confirmed yet, but Nicole Hendrix Marketing Director at Cloud Imperium Games. Sandi is doing a movie scheduled for release in October?

Oh, no more release dates on the schedule? Now why would they do that?  :smuggo:

CIG: We’ve decided to remove the ‘aim dates’ for our releases and focus on the information below which should give a more accurate look at where we’re trending.

So, they are trending now. Basically, we don't release schedules anymore because we are always moving forward :doh:

What all has been cut from 3.0?

I think CIG should have a full media black out and fully focus 100% on 3.0 development and release.

No no, there is nothing wrong with SC. The growing lack in confidence for SC isn't showing. No no, we're fine. Really. Trust us. Just wait and see what we don't show you at Games Com. See us live game with the 2.6.3 build from last year. You know, when I said that 3.0 was almost done.... BTW, have you bought one of our JPEGs recently?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:46:33 AM by Motto »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk