Author Topic: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.  (Read 1136080 times)

Motto

Re: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.
« Reply #1065 on: September 01, 2017, 11:55:21 AM »
So, prediction time:

- they are trying to piece something together for SQ42 to show at Shitizen Con. A demo, a clip, anything just to "prove" they haven't forgotten about it
- they are trying to fix the 3.0 build to show another kinda walkthru thingy and to show that they have been working on it. Maybe some extra facewear too, to highlight the "special about SC backing"
- all resources are put on those 2 tasks because they have to restore backerfaith and therefore on the real necessary work nothing is done
- they will introduce something special, like naming your vessel unique for a special price. Unique name per vessel of course, with a bundle discount if you want to reserve the name for all vessels (wether you own them or not as a special bonus selling point)
- they will push 3.0 to the Avocado's early December
- they go live with 3.0 end of December as a X-mas bonus thingy
- as it horrendously crashes, Chris will announce major restructering per 01/01 between X-Mas and New Year
- per 01/01 a much smaller team remains to try to make 3.0 the MVP with everything on to it so that Chris has no liability with regards to his promises. He and Sandi got a divorce per 31/12 just to hide money for the Feds
- due to the restructering, atv and all that crap is cancelled as well (of course, in reality he just sold all the equipment)
- somewhere around March or April the curtain falls. Chris will blame it on the Aussie government who demanded the backtaxes for the past 6 years and will be looking desperatly who turned him in

If 3.0 just crashes too much with the Acocado's, they obviously skip going live with it but announce restructuring directly.

Now remember, this is just for fun... I'm not Derek who can and will be held accountable of course  :dance:

Even Miles just can't take it any more
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 12:05:02 PM by Motto »

N0mad

« Reply #1066 on: September 01, 2017, 12:13:33 PM »
- they will push 3.0 to the Avocado's early December
- they go live with 3.0 end of December as a X-mas bonus thingy

In order to salvage anything from this train wreck I think they need to release 3.0 before CitizenCon. The reason being is that a significant number of tickets go to Concierge members and Subscribers, these are very likely to be the same people who were cheering at the 3.0 demo last year and heard the great man himself say it was going to be released in December 2016.

If 3.0 isn't ready then the event is going to be dominated by people asking why not.

We will see, although I'm sure they'll all get wowed with some flashy screenshots and decide to hand over some more cash regardless .

Motto

« Reply #1067 on: September 01, 2017, 12:21:54 PM »
Maybe, but the Shitizen Con venue can't hold that many people and with the large setup for the contests. Who knows, maybe they'll cancel those contests too if even the LAN can't stomache it  :D

And it is not without possibility that the hype for Shitizen Con has dried up hard after GC. I for one would not fly out. I'd just watch the stream. If you did attend, would that make you a Shitized Con?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 12:24:10 PM by Motto »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1068 on: September 01, 2017, 12:48:10 PM »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #1069 on: September 01, 2017, 01:27:02 PM »
That's some heavy shit.

So, how about a quick cash grab: Subscriber Flash Sale

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1070 on: September 01, 2017, 01:54:19 PM »
That's some heavy shit.

So, how about a quick cash grab: Subscriber Flash Sale

Yeah Aug has been a disaster in comparison to last year. So they're piling on the sales. But don't worry though, they have plenty of money; so they're not having financial problems at all.  :bahgawd:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 01:56:08 PM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #1071 on: September 01, 2017, 01:57:54 PM »
Maybe you could tweet about it  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Man, you are hammering them now  :f5: :f5: :f5:

You're on the months max schedule now too?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1072 on: September 01, 2017, 03:40:45 PM »
Star Citizen in a nutshell

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #1073 on: September 01, 2017, 04:14:53 PM »
Based on https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/MattBrady/20170901/304964/Star_Citizen_A_Close_Look_at_the_Cash.php let me craft an alternate theory, why this is still going on and taking so long:

Hypothesis 1: Funding and backer numbers are completely inflated bullshit, so are metrics on them (garbage in, garbage out).
Hypothesis 2: Their running costs mostly come from whale subscriptions, similar to Patreon. JPEG sales are just part of the show, mostly buy space doors or finance Chris Roberts' movie direction hobby.
Hypothesis 3: Employee number is bullshit, assets and techdemos are occasionally outsourced to anonymous contractors.
Hypothesis 4: Running costs are pretty low, because all public-facing figures are inflated by magnitudes. In 2017 CIG is not an AAA studio, neither by size nor budget.
tl;dr: Star Citizen is mostly a Potemkin village to make whales believe they're part of something big.

This easily explains why nothing implodes and why there is less actual content than a lone warrior can produce in his basement. We are just looking at a large illusion of a crowdfunded AAA video game project, which doesn't actually exist.

StanTheMan

« Reply #1074 on: September 01, 2017, 04:54:02 PM »

N0mad

« Reply #1075 on: September 02, 2017, 12:36:11 AM »
Hypothesis 3: Employee number is bullshit, assets and techdemos are occasionally outsourced to anonymous contractors.
Hypothesis 4: Running costs are pretty low, because all public-facing figures are inflated by magnitudes. In 2017 CIG is not an AAA studio, neither by size nor budget.
tl;dr: Star Citizen is mostly a Potemkin village to make whales believe they're part of something big.

Interesting theory, at least one part of that can be tested using the financial data from their UK studio. I haven't looked at the details, this is just part of Derek's Summary, but see what you make of it (click the link for full info):

Average employees were 221 with £10m total wages in 2016 (132 @ £6m in 2015).

My gut tells me that although they may include outside contractors in their overall employee count, I still think they must employ 300+ people, but the project is so badly managed most of them are ship / clothing / jpeg designers and community /marketing managers etc with probably only a handful of people actually working on the code for the game because nobody else can understand what the hell they've done to CryEngine. We'll only find out after the ELE of course  :)

ecg

« Reply #1076 on: September 02, 2017, 02:14:25 AM »

FredBloggs

« Reply #1077 on: September 02, 2017, 04:09:49 AM »
This thread moves fast, I've bookmarked posts from this morning to register and reply to, that was 4 pages ago. Well hi. I'm new and I'm here to argue, but not to troll. Apparently one doesn't get banned for that, which is nice.

FYI, this person happens to be another /r/ds denizen, https://www.reddit.com/user/Luftwaffle1980. So try not to get trolled or engage in any strawman or circular arguments with him, seeing as his cohort, Serendipity, already got that covered.

How can you know that for sure - is the email address the same or something?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1078 on: September 02, 2017, 04:48:45 AM »
This seems to have nailed it: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/355735-Star-Citizen-Thread-v6?p=5878839&viewfull=1#post5878839

Pardon if has been posted already.

Yeah, we saw that before in the thread. It's an amazing post; so nothing wrong with repeating it.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1079 on: September 02, 2017, 04:50:17 AM »
This thread moves fast, I've bookmarked posts from this morning to register and reply to, that was 4 pages ago. Well hi. I'm new and I'm here to argue, but not to troll. Apparently one doesn't get banned for that, which is nice.

FYI, this person happens to be another /r/ds denizen, https://www.reddit.com/user/Luftwaffle1980. So try not to get trolled or engage in any strawman or circular arguments with him, seeing as his cohort, Serendipity, already got that covered.

How can you know that for sure - is the email address the same or something?

Because they're as dumb as rocks, and can't help themselves. He was the only one who registered that day, then made a single post barking the same nonsense they do over there. That's how Serendipity got busted as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk