Author Topic: Star Citizen Citizenship  (Read 1076067 times)

N0mad

Re: Star Citizen - The Citizenship
« Reply #1365 on: October 25, 2018, 11:08:50 PM »
So with mining, mission givers and now in game ship buying (not that any of it is fun, or even works well): are we heading to MVP territory? ie. if they have to halt development now then they can't be sued by the whales?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1366 on: October 26, 2018, 04:22:22 AM »
So with mining, mission givers and now in game ship buying (not that any of it is fun, or even works well): are we heading to MVP territory? ie. if they have to halt development now then they can't be sued by the whales?

We've been in MVP territory since 3.0 back in Dec 2017. But no way they flat-out call it that.

As to suing them, not gonna happen. They have to go to arbitration.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1367 on: October 26, 2018, 06:00:18 AM »
FailureToReport

Hey guys! Sorry it's been a while, I've been super busy shilling for Star Citizen , I need to get a new PC you know?

So let's talk about Star Citizen 3.3 PTU....

As others have mentioned, we are I can't even count what patch deep now, major issues are either still unresolved, or they tried fixing them and broke 10 other new things. Half the ships aren't functioning properly (like, as in ships that "work" fine in 3.2 are suddenly full on loving trashed.) Scanners don't work, turrets don't work, elevators are death, ladders are death, elevators don't work, like.....just totally hosed. I've mentioned this elsewhere, but while OCS seems to have bumped up FPS performance, everything else dialed back to 3.0 levels of hosed up.

I had a sweet clip when I was testing the Valkyrie with some guys to get footage for that video where we landed on Daymar and dismounted or whatever, one guy drove the first Cyclone out of the bay and after about 50 meters he crashed, but he kept on driving. By the time he got back into the game to "recover last instance" he was through the mountain and driving to the planet core. Since his untimely death meant we were kind of screwed on shooting what I wanted to shoot, we just sort of screwed around out in the desert, at which point I was playing with the Sniper Rifle and noticed it didn't seem to have any drop. (I am super anal about sniper rifles in games, GR:Wildlands drove me batshit) - so I told the guys I was with that I was going to run out at 100Meter increments to watch their tracers and see if there was any drop at the different ranges. 100M and nothing. 200M and.......wait......I can't see their tracers. They swear they are shooting at the same target. I stand infront of the target and never take a single hit. I notice I can only see the ship now and not the players. Did OCS unload them so now my client doesn't care about their shots? What? There are now three people shooting rifles at my name. Nothing, zero damage, that can't be right though. I scope in with my trusty Arrowhead Sniper on where they should be......I'm instantly dead from being shot after scoping in on their position renders their characters. Neat.

I've had a lot of people on the channel who are still SC backers ask me to start covering Star Citizen again regularly because they appreciate someone who isn't BoredNoobasaur, I try to oblige them and get even more poo poo from SC Knights because "I'm super salty and everything is clickbait." I cry at night because nothing ever makes them happy.

I decide to visit the Spectrums, try on this new "I'm not unhinged and angry" FailureToReport thing over there......get called a cuck because I don't love SC unconditionally. End up talking in general chat with people about how insanely easy it is to work around all the planned crime and punishment systems and talk about how Citizens are absolutely going to get put into PVP, like it or not. End up having a fun talk with CIG-Kraiklyn, we discuss different methods of griefing and having systems to try to stop that. I think griefing won. Start PMing Kraiklyn and talking about the state of Spectrum, learn he is no longer a Concierge person but the head of Spectrum moderation, so we start talking about Ben's nazi Purple mods of the past. He promises me that under his new leadership we are moving towards a new and more open Spectrum, because echo chambers are bad and breed toxicity. COMMON GROUND! I applaud his effort and wish him the best in doing that, maybe I can start interacting on the Spectrum forums more.

Few days later, I haven't been banned or probated. I'm really surprised and honestly start telling fellow critics about my experience on the Spectrum. I'm very impressed with the new moderation. Sitting in general chat, some dude comes in and asks why people on the outside of the SC community look at Star Citizen so negatively. Start typing out a semi long answer about the various reasons the general gaming community thinks SC is a cult joke. Guy named Cakestrike says "Because they missed lots of dates, anti consumer practices, and garbage marketing have hurt SC over the years"........welp, I don't need to finish my response. Post an Up Arrow and say "Basically this". Have some side conversation with Citizens for a few minutes. Get PM from Cakestrike asking if I was just banned also. Wut? Ask him if he can PM me the moderator action and I will go talk to Kraiklyn about it, because everything in his response was exactly why the outside community looks at Star Citizen that way and I cannot imagine a reason he would be suspended. He PM's me on Reddit because he says it's not safe to PM on Spectrum. Sends screen shot........Kraiklyn banned him. Am I being given special treatment? Why was he banned for voicing his opinion that could arguably be considered fact? The Spectrum is scary again and I take a break.

Ships are purchasable in game! The prices are pretty high, especially if you're a peasant with only a starter ship. I try to champion the voice of the people on the Spectrum, HOLY poo poo..........EVERYONE wants prices to be higher, especially the Lords of Verse in Concierge. What? Do they want to kill their beloved dream in it's crib? Someone UN-IRONICALLY says that players should not have an Orion after playing for TWO YEARS. I thought they were giving Chris money for the PLEDGE, for the DREAM, not so they could have an edge in the not pay to win verse? I need a safe space, I will absolutely be banned if I try talking to these cultist fucknut batshit forumdadding chris cucks the way they need to be talked to.

Oh, hey guys! How's it been?
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1368 on: October 26, 2018, 06:34:05 AM »
It's hilarious what happens when Shitizens step out of their bunker. Today's hilarity, courtesy of in-game ship sales

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/9r43cx/star_citizens_latest_ptu_patch_adds_in_game_ship/

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1369 on: October 26, 2018, 06:37:34 AM »
:emot-lol:

...but it's only alpha though

"... finally reach destination but I decided to repair the ship first because for some reason I plummeted to the ground in Yela...
so, enter the repair bay and I got teleported to the hangars and apparently lost my cargo.. fuck me! this game is glitchy AF
ok, going to try buy some ship... nope... they all start to disappear...
and I was starting to gain some hope about this game, but it seems that it will need another decade to work like a game, right now is just $200M benchmark that doesn't even work for that either... damn! rant over.. bye!"

https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9raasr/so_after_an_hour_or_so_trying_to_get_that_stupid/

jwh1701

jwh1701

« Reply #1371 on: October 27, 2018, 07:29:53 AM »
FOIP for me would be the the lowest of my list on reasons for purchase.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9rrsm1/friend_showed_me_the_game_so_i_bought_it_solely/

StanTheMan

« Reply #1372 on: October 27, 2018, 08:37:09 PM »
From one of the threads
phttps://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9r40ao/updated_in_game_ship_prices_vs_pledge_cost_ptu_33t/
mentioned in Dereks latest article
[http://dereksmart.com/forums/reply/6723/

[–]Jim3535 8 points 3 days ago
Speak for yourself.

Not everyone wants to spend 200 hours per year for 5 years earning a damn ship. Some of us want to actually be able to experience different things in the game without it being a second job.

permalinkembedsaveparentreportgive goldreply

[–]ConsumeLettuceAegis -2 points 3 days ago
Who else am I speaking for? I'm pretty sure making a comment implies you are saying you own opinion.... But anyway..

Well that's great. I'm real glad. If you don't want to put in the work for a nice ship then you shouldn't have one. Simple as that. The game doesn't need to make everything easy peady to get so people with limited schedules can get everything. That would mean people with time would have everything in a week.

[–]Jim3535 6 points 3 days ago
You're literally telling everyone without loads to time to grind that big sections of the game should be off limits to them.

I'm not saying everyone should be able to earn a bengal in a week, but most of the non-excessive ships need to be reasonably attainable. There's plenty of over the top ones to keep the hardcore people grinding forever. Not to mention that these things are going to blown up all the time, so we'll be forever paying insurance and replacing lost upgrades.

If you don't want to put in the work for a nice ship then you shouldn't have one. Simple as that.

How do you feel about all the people buying ships now that haven't earned them? Should they not have them either?

[–]34cindymalnew user/low karma 6 points 3 days ago
Yeah he's literally telling everyone loads of bullshit all over this thread. Don't listen to it. This player, for some reason, wants the majority of ships to be locked out to other players who don't play Star Citizen as their literal job.

Don't listen to him, that isn't how it's going to be. That's just his wishful thinking. Chris Roberts himself stated that it should take about a week of gameplay to earn a Constellation. Nothing about that has changed so far.

[–]Jim3535 5 points 2 days ago
Looking at his posts it sounds an awful lot like he's pledged for various ships and wants to make sure his money was well spent. If someone was able to earn a ship he bought too easily it would devalue his investment.

[–]34cindymalnew user/low karma 7 points 2 days ago*
My thoughts exactly. I don't begrudge anyone who's spent a bunch of money, you want to spend money to support SC that's fine, but don't be such a selfish douchebag that you want to prevent other players from gameplay that you think belongs to you because you spent tons of cash.

A Constellation is $330 to buy

If you could play SC and earn one in a week that is roughly equivalent to $17,000 a year ($330 x 52 weeks)

If you can bot it or otherwise play the game more efficiently than an average player can earn currency then you increase that figure (helping to more than compensate for cost of selling a ship in game, your costs to play)

The average annual wage in Poland (never mind poorer countries - of which there are many) is around $17,000 a year.

So something has to give and none of it adds up to buying jpegs equals a good "investment".

« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 08:42:49 PM by StanTheMan »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1373 on: October 28, 2018, 08:11:02 AM »
A Constellation is $330 to buy

If you could play SC and earn one in a week that is roughly equivalent to $17,000 a year ($330 x 52 weeks)

If you can bot it or otherwise play the game more efficiently than an average player can earn currency then you increase that figure (helping to more than compensate for cost of selling a ship in game, your costs to play)

The average annual wage in Poland (never mind poorer countries - of which there are many) is around $17,000 a year.

So something has to give and none of it adds up to buying jpegs equals a good "investment".

correct link for the above

https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9r40ao/updated_in_game_ship_prices_vs_pledge_cost_ptu_33t/e8eh0cp/

Anyway, there is no "economy". It's just buy and sell. And as I mentioned in the article, not only are the only 3 methods of earning aUEC/UEC flat-out broken and bs, CIG have no incentive to address it because they will kill their primary cash money revenue stream.

jwh1701

« Reply #1374 on: October 28, 2018, 09:34:40 AM »
correct link for the above

https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9r40ao/updated_in_game_ship_prices_vs_pledge_cost_ptu_33t/e8eh0cp/

Anyway, there is no "economy". It's just buy and sell. And as I mentioned in the article, not only are the only 3 methods of earning aUEC/UEC flat-out broken and bs, CIG have no incentive to address it because they will kill their primary cash money revenue stream.

If they do keep all missions to under 4k then it would be a hefty grind, not including upgrades.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1375 on: October 28, 2018, 10:14:38 AM »
If they do keep all missions to under 4k then it would be a hefty grind, not including upgrades.

They have zero incentive to remove the grind because they want cash money for ships.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1376 on: October 28, 2018, 11:02:01 AM »
A rundown of the thrilling space combat:

A squad of fighters vs a hammerhead corvette. There are... a number of problems with this scenario.

* Naturally they are engaging 10 feet away from the Port O spawn point because there's really nowhere else to go and nothing to fight over. So, the stakes are extremely low but oh well.
* Around ~2m in we see them target the hammerhead and begin engaging. Note that the target box is bugged for about half the fight so you can't actually see the shield facing. Note also that the hammerhead probably has 2-3 people on turrets, meaning it only has about half its firepower available if even that.
* Despite that, it is basically invulnerable. It takes a sustained attack from 3 or 4 fighters for 3 full minutes, and doesn't even lose shield facing until they all start to focus on one segment. Because it can't maneuver and they have no momentum, this amounts to them just kind of floating in space behind it, strafing slightly to avoid the turrets but otherwise just sitting there holding down their fire buttons. There is no weapon size or type that is better on shields- I mean CIG says there is, but in reality equipping ships is such a huge waste of time that nobody does it. ~6:04 is good time stamp to see what I mean.
* The "Lead Target" reticles are so poorly calculated that you cannot hit a ship that is 20x bigger than you, from less than a km away, while shooting directly into them.
* CIG definitely hasn't "Implemented Armor" since the last time we saw a hammerhead in action a week ago, and it died in 6 seconds. So it looks like what they actually did was just give it the biggest loving health pool possible. So now the ships have to DPS through 8 million hit points, or whatever. That might be cool, gradually wearing it down, except:
* Repair and damage isn't really modeled of course so none of that DPS will have any effect on the Hammerhead until the very last shot.
* Note the "Subtle" fade-out at ~6m, before any one of the ships in the fight had died. This is probably an attempt to obscure that at this point everything in the server was severely desynced. That is what usually happens to me if fights go over 2 or 3 minutes.

That's Star Citizen combat in a nutshell. Ultra low stakes, the player requirements don't make any sense, the most expensive P2W chariot is tuned to basically be invulnerable to the smallest, the flight model is non-existent, the shooting feels like you're throwing marshmallows that half the time don't go where you intended them to. In the end the fight ends because both sides get bored or the server begins to die, not because anyone scored a kill.

--

Bonus: hey remember when all the Goons bought bombers so they could go around killing capital ships? Yeah here's how that actually worked out in-game. (Spoiler alert: the hammerhead can eat 9 anti-capship torpedos without issue)

StanTheMan

« Reply #1377 on: October 28, 2018, 12:07:14 PM »

GaryII

« Reply #1378 on: October 29, 2018, 02:08:56 AM »
What? There are now three people shooting rifles at my name. Nothing, zero damage, that can't be right though. I scope in with my trusty Arrowhead Sniper on where they should be......I'm instantly dead from being shot after scoping in on their position renders their characters. Neat.
  I think, this is interesting from FTR report, that basically means that their OCS is too aggressive and in current implementation make sniper gameplay impossible, also probably any space and planetary long range combat, too... 

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1379 on: October 29, 2018, 05:03:56 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk