Author Topic: Star Citizen Citizenship  (Read 1075451 times)

Slapmeandcallmegurl

Re: Star Citizen Citizenship
« Reply #2025 on: June 05, 2019, 04:08:49 AM »
Yeah, their funds are dribbling away but if they lose a million a month, (taking into account the ridiculous end of year sales and multi million revenues they generate), that 48 million investment can keep them going quite a while.

Money still doesn't bother me. Making the game fun and stable will be the stumbling block. I suppose funding counting down gives a time limit for that to happen but it's totally ok because Squadron is totally selling at least totally a gazillion copies... totally next year. Totally.

The funding levels creeping back up suggests possible confidence returning as the game becomes more like a game. Squadron is going to be the crunch though. Sell a million or more extra copies of that and they're laughing again. Sell 10,000 and...dum dum durrrrrrrrrrrrr. Could go tits up.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #2026 on: June 05, 2019, 09:21:03 AM »
Slap, comparing 2019's CIG and 2015's CIG are like comparing David to Goliath. CIG in 2015 must've been at least half of what CIG is now in terms of man power, office space, computers, tools and electricity, not to mention scope on top of that.

When CIG released their financial brochure back in December, the estimated burn rate per month was at least 4 million. So far this year only 14 million has been raised in 5 months. 5 x 4 = 20 million. 14 million is way shy of that.

Not to beat a dead horse but, they're "losing money"!

And they were still insolvent by end of 2018, with only $14M claimed to be left; even though we know that if they had taken into account and shown the liabilities (loans etc), it would have be negative.

heh
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

wiser3754

« Reply #2027 on: June 05, 2019, 07:00:42 PM »
Does anyone know how much was spent on the A list actors and Andy Serkis' mocap studio? It would be interesting how much that area of funding has been sunk into.

wiser3754

« Reply #2028 on: June 10, 2019, 07:10:41 PM »
I've noticed something missing for this year's E3 expo. That would be CiG and Squadron 42. I've looked for articles if CiG are participating but it seems they aren't.
That 48 million "marketing" money would've been put to good use at E3, problem is what can CiG show?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #2029 on: June 11, 2019, 11:02:29 AM »
I've noticed something missing for this year's E3 expo. That would be CiG and Squadron 42. I've looked for articles if CiG are participating but it seems they aren't.
That 48 million "marketing" money would've been put to good use at E3, problem is what can CiG show?

They haven't attended E3 officially since 2016. All other times they've either shared a booth, or none at all. No word on if they're actually at E3 2019.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #2030 on: June 11, 2019, 11:52:48 AM »
At some point, they had to realise that they were the laughing stock of the whole gaming industry

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #2031 on: June 15, 2019, 10:28:19 AM »

StanTheMan

« Reply #2032 on: June 15, 2019, 10:47:06 AM »
At some point, they had to realise that they were the laughing stock of the whole gaming industry

No that wasn't it.  CRoberts is a prudent businessman.  Every cent of Backers cash is put to good use to deliver the BDSSE. 
In any case,  CIG are too good for these conventions.   
If you attend,  some of that poor quality rubs off on your game.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 11:17:30 AM by StanTheMan »

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #2033 on: June 16, 2019, 01:35:51 AM »
More Reddit shit:

These are the patch for this year, I don't think they anounced beta yet. If all these patches are out this year, I'd expect beta in 2 years (just a humble guess). that would be roughly 7-8 years of development since the scope enlargement of the game, the moment when they started actually planning and recruiting the full studios. Considering the goals, 10 years is a very realistic length for a development. 2014-2015 -> 2024-2025. 

I love the revisionism going on these days for a game that was set to release in 2014! I like they are thinking ahead and building in some extra time, for a 2025 release because 10 years (14 really) is a totally normal timeframe for a game.

krylite

« Reply #2034 on: June 16, 2019, 05:38:34 AM »
Crushboss is in this one

lol, the fun ramps up at 34:27 ( www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIiEWz3zMsA&feature=youtu.be&t=34m27s )
where he starts using some pics and memes from Derek's blogs.

I think the project needs to fail, so the exposed ponzi serves as an alarming industry wide warning with a proper full hour episode on CNBC's "American Greed" maybe on the 13th season in 2023. How much of the $300 million was siphoned off to multiple shells, unjust enrichment and stealth overseas purchases, with several charges of money laundering and full FBI and interpol investigations culminating with possible indictments, with the class action-like clawback fracas aftermath. Sandi Gardner, imo, mastermind of  probably of a lot of the unethical marketing also best locked up in the funny farm for good. This case is no different at the core of still missing millions in many ponzi related reported cases.

Where the "BDSSE" will likely be done by Frontier with a revamped Elite: Dangerous by their year 10, or Bethsesda's Starfield /w Elon Musk's support, or if Microsoft goes into space simulators again after their upcoming Fight Simulator (12.0)

Crushboss and unamed party were in for more than $10k. Last part of their wake up calls at 46:59
( www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIiEWz3zMsA&feature=youtu.be&t=46m59s )

Also, video guy while initially claiming he's waiting for "facts" breaks down anyways (among his multiple LOTR-like endings, lol) finally at 54:10
( www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIiEWz3zMsA&feature=youtu.be&t=54m10s )
and admits his wake up, agreeing on all points Derek made over the years to the end of the video, without giving any credit ie. "DS was right"/"I told you so" absolutely.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 06:19:30 AM by krylite »

StanTheMan

« Reply #2035 on: June 16, 2019, 04:31:53 PM »
More Reddit shit:

I love the revisionism going on these days for a game that was set to release in 2014! I like they are thinking ahead and building in some extra time, for a 2025 release because 10 years (14 really) is a totally normal timeframe for a game.

It is as if a majority of Backers are happy that the game wont release until they reach retirement age by which time they imagine they will have time to play.

For the moment they are happy to keep buying jpeg ships and fantasising.

I wonder how many people who were around for the original release of World Of Warcraft will actually play Classic when it is released, muchless make it to level 60 in a month or so ?

They had the time then but not now.

SC Backers are doing that in reverse except the game is watching videos and buying jpegs.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 04:36:57 PM by StanTheMan »

wiser3754

« Reply #2036 on: June 16, 2019, 04:40:05 PM »
Doubtful the faithful will stay around much longer considering other space sims coming down the pipe. Hell, Elite Dangerous is supoosedly getting it's space legs on in 2020 which could spell trouble for Star Citizen. Not to mention Dual Universe doesn't seem that far off either.

The only real thing that Star Citizen has over it's competitors is the "fidelity". Hardly anything can touch it in that department. But then again, perhaps there are lots of reasons why competitors won't bother with "fidelity".

Aya Reiko

« Reply #2037 on: June 16, 2019, 10:44:13 PM »
Doubtful the faithful will stay around much longer considering other space sims coming down the pipe. Hell, Elite Dangerous is supoosedly getting it's space legs on in 2020 which could spell trouble for Star Citizen. Not to mention Dual Universe doesn't seem that far off either.

The only real thing that Star Citizen has over it's competitors is the "fidelity". Hardly anything can touch it in that department. But then again, perhaps there are lots of reasons why competitors won't bother with "fidelity".
Don't underestimate their blindness and their delusions.

Their wallets, OTOH, is an entirely different matter.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #2038 on: June 18, 2019, 04:37:58 PM »
Meanwhile behind enemy lines

Gameplay Report: 3.5.1

My Mission: Legitimately try to make as much in-game money as possible. No loving around, just get it done.

Attempt 1: So I'd heard that there's a new cargo route similar to the "Drug run" you could do back in 3.2 or 3.3, this time involving... Neon? Not sure why stations around the Citizenverse need that, maybe Chris is trying to compete with Cyberpunk 2077. But basically it's a 10% or so profit margin and you can easily cram a half-million credits worth into the cargo hold of a Constellation so I figured why not- let's actually try to grind up to a million credits or whatever and buy ourselves an in-game spaceship. I still have not managed to actually achieve that, after a year of trying off and on. So anyway, wank pod, spawn Constellation, I realize my credits have been reset by the most recent patch so I only have like 20,000 on me. That's peanuts. I decide to do the "Destroy 3 satellites" combat missions for a while, because they tend to pay 6500 credits and offer literally no danger. If you do the ones at Grim Hex in particular, you don't even need to go anywhere. Just warp a short ways away, take another mission, warp back in and pop them. After an hour of listening to podcasts and blasting stationary targets (thrilling) I'm sitting at 120,000 credits which is enough for a single cargo run to net me more than double a combat mission.

I fly to Cellin and spend several minutes watching youtube to find yet another hidden base with yet another secret kind of cargo. See this is apparently going to be a thing with Star Citizen, I guess. None of the perfectly legitimate stations sell you gently caress all that is worth any kind of profit. If you want to make literally any money at all, you need to know that there are hidden bases on basically every moon in the game. How do you find them? gently caress if I know. Youtubers always seem to know where they are, so I just go there and watch them fly down to check the landmarks. That's the other thing about the hidden bases- you can't QT to them. All the other bases in the game, you select them on the map and you can warp within 20km. The hidden guys? You have to find those motherfuckers from orbit with no HUD markers whatsoever. Hope you brought your binoculars! Luckily I'm pretty good at terrain following after the stupid poo poo with the Yela drug labs, so I find this place on Cellin sooner rather than later, even though it's night on that side of the planet. Sure enough, they're selling Neon, the extremely illegal substance. I buy up 120k of it which is like, 1/10th of my cargo hold, and then fly to another base on the other side of the same planet that I hear likes to buy it at a good rate.

So far this has all gone entirely smoothly except for the part where combat sucked and the actual cargo run was literally hidden in the middle of an entire planet. But that's just bad video games- nothing has been truly Star Citizen about this yet. Until I land at the research outpost and go inside to sell my wares. They buy it! In the sense that "Neon" is on the list of things I can sell to them. But they won't buy mine. No sir. Transaction failed, every time. Now this used to happen all the time in the drug runs, and it was due to invisible demand caps- every couple minutes they'd tick back up and you could sell some more of your poo poo, but you had to sell less than their total demand or the transaction would just fail. So I'm not surprised that this bug in a fundamental system of the game is still in place, but I'm disappointed. I continue listening to those good good McElroy boys and trying every few minutes to sell my poo poo. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. How low is the demand at this loving place? So I ask on the server. Oh! Nobody knows. It apparently increments so infinitessimally slowly that nobody bothers to come here now. Great! I finally find the rate after fiddling. It is, I am not loving kidding, approximately 1,000 credits worth of product per minute. I would have to sit here for two loving hours just to sell the cargo that it took me 5 minutes to pick up. So I get into my ship and fly it out into the vastness of space to log out, hoping to find a server where nobody has touched that outpost for a couple hours. Naturally the persistent logout fails and when I log back in I'm in the wankpod and my Constellation is gone, along with all my money. gently caress!

Attempt 2: Not to be deterred, I try again the next day. This time I take my Gladius, the only other ship I own, out to do the initial combat satellite hunting missions and build up a big nest egg. This turns out to be an enormous mistake. With the Constellation I was just ignoring all the NPC's who'd spawn and kind of half-heartedly shoot at me, but now I'm in a light fighter and it is loving prime time on these servers. I get lit the gently caress up and have trouble finishing even one mission without having pieces of my ship blown off. Eventually I start to get into a groove but a literal actual player shows up, completely unnoticed by me because there are 15+ NPC targets swarming at any given moment, and pops me in a couple shots. He literally types in the chat "Nothing personal, kiddo- just business." I'm pretty sure he wasn't trolling with that. Like he actually thought that ambushing a player who's out ratting when you have a 16-to-1 numbers advantage is a stone cold badass maneuver worthy of some flexing in chat. Hokay. I get the Constellation back out of the insurance timer and come back but he's nowhere to be seen, so I am denied my sweet PvP vengeance. At this point I'm not really inclined to keep shooting these loving beacons, so I get ready to give up and call it a night for this poo poo show.

But! Someone asks in chat if anyone can help them ferry their dumb little mobility scooter Greycat from a nearby planet all the way to ArcCorp. I am feeling charitable, so I say sure and go down to pick them up. I should explain here- Star Citizen is very broken and very stupid. Recently a new bug came into existence where if you land on a planet and spawn a ground vehicle, your ship will despawn. And you can't spawn your ships from any of the stations that can spawn ground vehicles, anymore. So spawning any kind of ground vehicle is a way to instantly trap yourself on the surface of the planet forever. If you want to spawn one and take it to somewhere that it could actually be used- well, you need a second player's help. So I pick this person up and go AFK because the flight to ArcCorp is literally 15 minutes long and nothing will happen during it. We finally arrive, I warp down to the big space station in the middle of the big city, and land. This proves to be a terrible mistake. As soon as I'm landed, at the pad I specifically was assigned to, I get a criminal rating for "Obstructing the pad" and a bunch of warnings start playing about how my ship is blocking the landing bay and will be despawned. Okay, no trouble, I lower the elevator to let guy with Greycat off the ship and sprint for the elevators- only to be completely loving mowed down by security for the crime of, I guess, landing where I was told? I respawn at the ArcCorp wank pods, and buddy with the Greycat makes it to the elevators before their ship, and mine, are both summarily despawned. NO FUN ALLOWED MOTHERFUCKERS.

Attempt 3: So now I have a serious problem because I am stuck on loving ArcCorp. Not stuck in the traditional sense- I can spawn ships and poo poo. But it is goddamn next to impossible to get off of ArcCorp. The way Star Citizen works is that you're assigned to a wank pod at the last place you touched down on a pad, assuming it has any. ArcCorp's wank pods are located in the city center, and there is a no-poo poo five minute bus ride and wait, just to get back to the space station. But then you have to get one of the like 5 landing pads. And not die to any of the staircases. And it has to not glitch, and open the landing bay doors for you. And you have to be able to fly away from the planet without crashing. And if any of this fails, you will wake up back at the start and have to do the entire bus ride over again. It is a loving nightmare. Keep in mind this was the flagship feature of patch 3.5 and it is a complete tire fire that everyone tries to stay away from.

But, finally, I manage to get the Constellation back in the air and away from that awful place. I settle in for the 15 minute flight back to the other side of the system. I'm not going to start grinding again but at least I'll land somewhere safe and avoid even saying the words ArcCorp ever again. I finish my long, long jump, just in sight of Port Olisar- and the game hard crashes to desktop. I log back in, and wake up- in the ArcCorp wank pods again. I log out.

-----------------------------------------

Summary: I've written genuine impassioned negative reviews of this game. I've written weird distopian hellscape fiction of this game. I've pretended that I really like the game and am just thrilled by the rear end-reaming that I am taking every time I log on. I've kind of run out of ways to capture just how much poo poo this entire experience sucks. It sucks all the poo poo. It is amazing. It is the Faces of Death videos, if they were a video game. It is a horror show for sociopaths and sick sad basement shut-ins, and it haunts me. Every feature is broken. No matter how big or how small, every single one. So many of them are almost the kind of experiences you would expect from, say, a bad video game like Big Rigs Racing. But Star Citizen hates you. The game is fractally broken. It is hosed up at the macro level, but every individual piece of that hosed-upness is itself also broken. And here's the part that is giving me a religious experience- it is never, ever hosed up in a way that makes it fun. I sincerely believe this code is haunted by a malevolent spirit that actively wants you to not have fun. Nothing will ever work in the way you expect it to, and it will always be broken in the way that wastes as much of your loving time as maximally possible. If you were just going to dump out a broken lovely game, occasionally you'd get an infinite money dupe, or a "Steal NPC ships" glitch or something, but not in Star Citizen! Every bug is precisely and specifically calculated to drain fun from otherwise boring activities. What's more, none of the bugs ever get fixed, except the ones that might lead to you having some fun, like the Yela Drug prices. There was more gameplay over that drug lab in the span of a month than at any other time in the game's history and they loving destroyed it! One can only conclude that the evil ghost that thrums at the heart of this poo poo show doesn't consider anything that brings joy to be "Working as intended." It doesn't see it as a bug that the game will randomly murder you and throw away an hour of your time. But by god, don't you dare find a way to enjoy yourself, because the spiritual force that permeates every line of code in Star Citizen will make you regret it.

David-2

« Reply #2039 on: June 18, 2019, 09:57:11 PM »
Meanwhile behind enemy lines

I am sad to think he might be on the verge of giving up.

And I might never read another one of his experience reports.  Gently caress it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk