Author Topic: Star Citizen Citizenship  (Read 1074313 times)

jwh1701

Re: Star Citizen Citizenship
« Reply #2295 on: June 19, 2020, 02:57:30 PM »
I see that also in the yt comments.

With so many failures of what should be 101 development they have to pull out all the stops lol.

wiser3754

« Reply #2296 on: June 21, 2020, 07:18:03 PM »
"Is it over" says refundians in this reddit thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/hdd3il/is_it_over/

One such reply by a reddit user called 'Aurazor' really pumps out a good diatribe on the current status of this shitshow.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 03:21:55 AM by wiser3754 »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #2297 on: June 22, 2020, 08:15:49 AM »
In regards to equity and partial ownership of CIG, are the Calders entitled to percentage of revenue raised by CIG? I doubt CIG are paying dividends.

There's no public info on that because it's a private company.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #2298 on: June 22, 2020, 08:16:39 AM »
"Is it over" says refundians in this reddit thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/hdd3il/is_it_over/

One such reply by a reddit user called 'Aurazor' really pumps out a good diatribe on the current status of this shitshow.

It will never be over as long as their are backers giving them money.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

krylite

« Reply #2299 on: June 22, 2020, 07:24:16 PM »

I like 'Aurazor''s assessment. Like if the Calders investors force a release to get it over with, finally shutting it down in the process.
I hope it plays out something like that soon.

They've booted out Chris and Sandi from day-to-day so they essentially control spending here on out.
One day, don't know when, SC will redline again and backer funds will not be sufficient to keep the lights on. Record funding or not, they can't afford their dev costs and the engine problems are f-----g everything up.
On that day, the Calders are faced with the decision to either continue funding development out of their own pocket, or to break up the IP for scrap and turn CIG into a mobile games studio.
Either way, SC dies. Because the Calders will not fund SC if SC cannot fund itself. They will force a 'release', slash hundreds of staff and multiple entire studio locations to cut costs, and see what they can do on barebones.
Either way, the game dies that day. It either gets sold off and cannibalised, or turned into a thin mockery of its potential.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 10:35:17 AM by krylite »

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #2300 on: June 26, 2020, 03:25:23 AM »
I like 'Aurazor''s assessment. Like if the Calders investors force a release to get it over with, finally shutting it down in the process.
I hope it plays out something like that soon.

I'm not sure about that assessment, I think they have taken a step back as they think it will go belly up at some point and don't want to be the visible face of it. Let someone else be the fall guy.

N0mad

« Reply #2301 on: June 26, 2020, 05:18:20 AM »
I'd love to know what's going on inside CIG at this point.

I originally assumed that we'd end up with a Freelancer situation again, where Chris gets kicked out and a scaled down version of the game gets released. Although the Calders have the money, they don't necessarily have the expertise in the games industry. They could bring in some outside help, but if that was happening on the quiet then I assumed we'd see more progress. It's possible that they've quietly shifted to making SQ42, but in that case they'd at least be able to release a teaser trailer on time.

I still think that the most likely scenario is that the PU continues to exist as a buggy incomplete mess with minimal progress and the occasional ship sale, with a small team left to keep it running. Everything else gets shifted to doing the animation and artwork for Squadron 42 the animated Netflix series - it's the only sure way for the Calders to make a good return on their investment.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 08:32:49 AM by N0mad »

MadAmishman

« Reply #2302 on: June 26, 2020, 08:16:28 AM »
I think this game will take the Chronicles of Elyria path...

Took crowdfunded money..then in April, shut down the website. Said "Oops we're closed". Then when people wanted their money back, the supposed CEO backtracked and said "he's still working on it". He's doing that to potentially avoid lawsuits...but I'm still waiting to see how that shakes out.

MadAmishman

« Reply #2303 on: June 26, 2020, 08:43:02 AM »
Found this gem on Spectrum...think it sums up things pretty well...

Moto20@Moto20
WITHOUT A CHANGE, I WILL TAKE MY MONEY ELSEWHERE
discussion
Yesterday at 21:13
Feedback
Note to the Devs. You're probably not listenting but I'm gonna tell you what your dad would tell you

I have known about this game for quite some time. FInally took the plunge about a week and a half ago. Did the $45 starter, then spent another $100 on a ship. Also subscribed at $20/month. It's beatiful both visually and conceptually.

But after 10 days or so of regular and repeated disappointments and the loss of progress due to disconnects and bugs, I'm finally at my wits end. It's incredibly frustrating to grind ALL DAY/NIGHT losing everything 1-4 times to a 30k error or bug. But struggle to make some progress anyway. Then login in the next day to pick up where I left off and lose it all. This has been a recurring cycle since the beginning.

Case in point. Yesterday htrough today. Played yesterday from maybe 14:00 - 03:00 Built up $80k despite a several crashes, 30k's, etc. The most I've been able to cache thus far.

Logged in today to continue and after about 90 minutes lost 50k euc to a 30k error. Logged back in and lost the remaining 30k 10 minutes later to a bug (ship expoded in QT). Now back to 0 euc. Let me break this down for you.

I've spent $150 and committed $20/month.
    I've been playing roughly 8-12 hrs/day for over a week. Grinding.
    I have virtually nothing in-game to show for my effort.

PS: Dont bother with the "It's an alpha" argument because we're all paying Release/Prod dollars.

Some may think I'm just bitching and whining. But it's people like me, who are able to spend $ and commit to subscriptions, that an MMO needs. And it's people like me who you're disappointing.

With all the time you've had to get to where you are, I implore you...

Stop adding content and features - You're only adding more unfinished and broken content and by extension creating more ways to fail.
    Find a way to ensure continuity - No more losing all our stuff when bugs happen. Commit to disk. Recover it with insurance. Invent a way.
    Prioritize server stability above all else - Every time one crashes is an opportunity to disappoint DOZENS of customers.
    Release a finished (not alpha, not beta) product - Even if it isn't everything you've ever dreamt up. Sell upgrades and DLC to monetize the content you had to cut.

I know the grand vision is to have a massive, all encompassing masterpiece of a game. But the fact is you you have a working financial model today. The way you lose it is by never releasing a finished product. Mark my words, you'll wind up running out of money and selling the codebase to a bigger publisher who's going to strip it down further or just trash it all and steal only the best IP.

Get to release ASAP. Those in the current user base can A) Choose to stay on a beta instance and deal with some issues while enjoying future features. Essentially what we have now. or B) Move to the release instance and have stability. Where I'd rather be This also allows you to start taking on "regular" customers and growing your base.

What you cannot do is continue to pump out shaky client and server code and expect people to keep spinning in circles grinding and losing everything. It's a surefire way to lose your alpha user base over time, while simultaneously poisoning the well of future release customers who are still angry about their alpha experience or know someone else who is and conviced them that your product is bad.

N0mad

« Reply #2304 on: June 26, 2020, 09:05:30 AM »
Wow, please post a link

jwh1701

krylite

« Reply #2306 on: June 28, 2020, 01:54:38 PM »
I'm not sure about that assessment, I think they have taken a step back as they think it will go belly up at some point and don't want to be the visible face of it. Let someone else be the fall guy.

I think you're probably more right at this point. SC is currently still an unstable mess which all their "OCS" and "SSM" or whatever "refactoring" still couldn't decisively fix after all this time. If they forced a release it may likely not be any better than what it is now. Maybe more in the line of some kind of forced SQ42 release , if any, which would probably still be horrible.

I'd love to know what's going on inside CIG at this point.
I still think that the most likely scenario is that the PU continues to exist as a buggy incomplete mess with minimal progress and the occasional ship sale, with a small team left to keep it running. Everything else gets shifted to doing the animation and artwork for Squadron 42 the animated Netflix series - it's the only sure way for the Calders to make a good return on their investment.

Yes, what's going on. CRob seems to have disappeared for a while. People are getting really fed up on the /r/starcitizen_refunds board lately I've noticed, maybe helped along with the recent trailer releases of other genre games. Some newcomers to SC, maybe hooked by more recent shilling like in the anti-ED yt comments and shitizen channels, who bought a starter pack or more have been posting there immediately acknowledging they were had.

I think this game will take the Chronicles of Elyria path...

Took crowdfunded money..then in April, shut down the website. Said "Oops we're closed". Then when people wanted their money back, the supposed CEO backtracked and said "he's still working on it". He's doing that to potentially avoid lawsuits...but I'm still waiting to see how that shakes out.

I wouldn't mind if it ended this way also. Closed and defunct cig sites for some relief finally. Then maybe some sort of class action/clawback petition or organization to at least find out where CRob and his cohorts ran off to, and what sort of legal defense barricades they had set up during this time of non-visibility and lack of appearances. Maybe initially the spinoff "American Greed: The Fugitives" worthy, lol.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 02:27:10 PM by krylite »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #2307 on: June 30, 2020, 08:06:25 AM »
I originally assumed that we'd end up with a Freelancer situation again, where Chris gets kicked out and a scaled down version of the game gets released. Although the Calders have the money, they don't necessarily have the expertise in the games industry. They could bring in some outside help, but if that was happening on the quiet then I assumed we'd see more progress. It's possible that they've quietly shifted to making SQ42, but in that case they'd at least be able to release a teaser trailer on time.

They did that already. Remember board member Dan Offner installed by the Calders? He quit after a year; and I'm pretty sure it was because of what he saw happening and didn't want to be part of it, given his industry cred.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #2308 on: June 30, 2020, 08:08:52 AM »
Found this gem on Spectrum...think it sums up things pretty well...

General rule around here is to post a link to any/all quoted hilarity. Got link?

wiser3754

« Reply #2309 on: June 30, 2020, 04:34:08 PM »
General rule around here is to post a link to any/all quoted hilarity. Got link?

He found it on Spectrum. How long does 'hate speech' last on that police state ala Spectrum before it's removed?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk