Author Topic: Star Citizen Media Musings  (Read 591677 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen Media Articles
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 05:09:20 PM »
So recently TotalBiscuit made some comments about Star Citizen regarding people comparing it to No Man's Sky.

Jan 26, 2017: In this broadcast, he said (verbatim):

"The comparisons to No Man's Sky are bullshit. Wanna know why they are bullshit? Because No Man's Sky hid everything before launch; and lied about a bunch of shit; and then came out and ended up being a bunch of shit.

Star Citizen is the most transparent development of anything I have ever seen. There is so much info..I mean one, you can go and play it right now; and you can see the exact state that it's currently in - 'cuz you can just go and play the alpha.

And the amount of information they put out on a weekly basis..they make videos, they stream, the developer blogs are like five fucking pages long a day.

There's no game in history that has been as transparent as with the development and where they're going with it, than Star Citizen has been.

They...you can play it; they show it all the time; they are completely open with their process.

So no, yeah, it might end coming out and being shit; and the people throwing thousands of dollars at it, well I think that's kind of foolish, but you know, it's your money, you do what you want with it.

But I refuse to allow it to be compared to No Man's Sky; it's a, it's a polar opposite situation..of that. It's a stupid comparison. We know exactly what Star Citizen is, right now at this very moment. We do; it's all out there.

Aug 16, 2016: In this broadcast, he basically makes the same comparisons between No Man's Sky and Star Citizen hype; but this time specifically about the "zealous" Star Citizen fanbase and it's comparison to the NMS one.

July 9th, 2015: In this broadcast, he said (verbatim):

"I am certainly concerned about No Man's Sky; obviously I'll give it a try, uhm, but it's extremely ambitious, and that's always a reason to doubt it. And then when you throw in the idea of procedural generation, like urrgh. I hear that word; I hear that word a lot, and whenever I hear it, I get a little bit worried because I've seen games that do the all procedural generation thing, and they're generally by no means as good as a game that has a properly designed level. Because the computer can never create a properly designed level anywhere near as well as an actual human being can. And when comes out to planets; I'm like oh well, I mean, er I dunno what's gonna be going on with that. I've definitely got my doubts; certainly. I hope it turns out good; I don't want it to fail.

*laughs*

Star Citizen, imaginary game, yeah. You threw money at a pipe dream. You know, maybe Star Citizen will come out at some point in some form, I'm sure it probably will, but. We will see some game, that has space ships in it. It will probably be...yeah, we turned it into a racing game guys, we took the racing component that's the entire game, just like, we're done. It is, it is super ambitious. It also has a lot of money, but it doesn't matter how much money you can throw at a game, you can still end up failing your goals.

They're [backers] throwing money at a dream; and I, I don't really know if Star Citizen actually turns out to be what they claimed it is, and what they promise it is; then it will be incredible no doubt; but..when? When is that gonna happen?   

Meanwhile, over at the /r/StarCitizen watering hole, a bunch of the "zealous" fanbase, along with the Usual Suspects (aka Shitizens) are trying to use his statements to somehow legitimize the notion that because Star Citizen has "open" development, that means everything is fine, it's coming out etc.

It's all the usual rubbish.

TotalBiscuit has been clear and consistent in his musings and statements regarding Star Citizen. His recent statements are no different. His comment about NMS vs SC, especially in the recent broadcast, are restricted to the notion of people comparing the two games in terms of knowing what the game is and about; and that because NMS was a disaster, so too will Star Citizen.

He is basically saying that with NMS you didn't know what you were getting, what state the game was in etc. Until it was released. Then all hell broke loose. But with Star Citizen, there is all this wealth of material, you can read them, go play the alpha right now etc. So you know - beforehand - the state that the game is in, the discussions around it, and from there you can make an informed decision about it.

The key takeaway here is that, NMS hid everything about the development, failed to curb expectations etc. But how is that wrong? The game wasn't crowd-funded, it wasn't early access, and they were under no obligation to release anything about the development of their game, other the hype they were generating. In short, they operated like a standard dev studio or publisher would.

Star Citizen is a $142m crowd-funded game; not to mention the amount of money from loans and investors which haven't been disclosed. Even if they don't have to explain anything to the bankers and investors, they have an obligation to the backers because that was the premise of the project and the promise made to backers. It is patently irrelevant if they are "open" (hint: they aren't) or not, in terms of full disclosure because, since day one, they've historically LIED to backers, used shady tactics to continue fleecing them for funding etc. And after five (six if you're counting) years and all this money, neither of the two games promised for a Nov 2014 delivery, are even near 15% complete.

No Man's Sky promised no such thing; and were under no obligation to be "open" about their development. However, just like Sean Murray did, Chris Roberts has been talking up and lying about a bunch of features which have now either been cut, or will never - ever - make it into the game.

The Star Citizen devs are only "open" about what they want to share with backers. And most of the more critical info is either hidden or obfuscated. Go ahead, ask a backer when the much touted 3.0 patch (see my predictions here - all of which came true) is coming out; or the state of Squadron 42; or the status of the Lumberyard engine switch; or their internal projections (note the public schedule only goes to 2.6.1) for the release of both games; or why they were busy making R&D tech demos under the guise of building tech for the game engine; or why some critical info about the game, ends up in game magazines (e.g. in Germany) instead of the community etc. I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

Star Citizen is as open and transparent as the frosted glass in a Church. In fact, the "game" itself is so transparent, that you can't even see it; because there is no game.

ps: Rant by a former concierge and $10K+ backer.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 08:41:35 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 06:15:17 AM »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 09:55:36 AM »
Star Citizen Multi-Crew Free Fly event is now on

LOL!!

Predictably there is also a ship sale on as CIG encourage players to pump yet more cash into the game. Out advice is don’t whip out that wallet, they already have over 142 million to make this. If they can’t make it with that then there’s no hope for it.

Stan

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 11:06:50 PM »
The Star Citizen Exclusive Interview: Erin Roberts

This whole article is a joke.

Completely full of fantasy bullshit.

These people have no idea how an MMO works....how people play them...even if they could get the game to do what they say ..very few people would do what they imagine they would do...You struggle to get a tank and a healer in most games .. getting people to run around a ship pressing buttons pretending to be scottys little helper" isnt going to cut it.

and then there is ..

"Definitely, there are a lot of systems being put into place which will basically support everything the player will do. I can’t remember the name we have for it internally right now but there is a whole system for players etc communicating while in space with regards to jobs. So let’s say you want to send out a distress call. You can send that to just your friends or anybody, some people may come and help you, some may try and kill you, who knows. That entire system is basically the same system in which if you’re out in your ship and you run out of fuel, you’d put out a tender to say “Hey, I’m at this location, please bring me fuel and I’ll pay you X”. This is all the system we’re building out now and it’s part of the whole new mission framework system. Let’s say you’re quantum travelling and you get interdicted by pirates and you communicate for help, it could be players or NPC’s and it’s basically a jobbing system.2

In other words, Sc will have a chat system...DIY professions ... sorted...

and there is always you and your "friends" imagination..   Whilst you navigate the game crashes, clipping and lack of features, you can simply  use your  imaginations to conjure up varied and exciting scenarios and gameplay...

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 11:14:54 PM by Stan »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 08:07:18 AM »
Looks like the propaganda payments (to Red Bull and Wolf Larsen) must have cleared.

http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories/1331846115570/star-citizen-infographic-red-bull-games

"To visit all 77 current systems would take you more than two days"

Stan

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2017, 11:16:43 AM »
Looks like the propaganda payments (to Red Bull and Wolf Larsen) must have cleared.

http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories/1331846115570/star-citizen-infographic-red-bull-games

"To visit all 77 current systems would take you more than two days"

Unadulterated Bullshit.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2017, 08:46:52 AM »
Star Citizen Interview – A Game As Infinite As The Universe Itself

Q:  Do you think there’s a possibility that Star Citizen eventually shows up on consoles after all?
A:  Right now, we’re very focused on delivering this on PC. But could it be on the consoles? Why not? We’ll look to see what makes the most sense in the future, and how exactly we can do that.

That time back in Oct 2016 when I said...

Then followed up with this blog in Dec 2016.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2017, 12:50:44 PM »
Apparently they are going to deprecate DX11 and go to Vulcan instead of DX12

The systematic destruction of the project. It's also an indication that they have yet to do a full LY switch.

Last I checked, Lumberyard didn't support DX12 or Vulcan. So CIG would have to implement it whether or not they switch fully to LY.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 05:42:01 PM by dsmart »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2017, 12:07:22 PM »
Something major (remember, you were warned that the project could never been developed as pitched) is currently underway related to the Star Citizen project, and I have a blog in the works waiting to drop. So I didn't want to write another blog about this media article being pulled. Hence the reason for my writing it here.

So, it looks like the CIG/RSI v Defy Media fiasco has been resolved quietly.

Back in 2015, at the height of the Star Citizen fiasco, The Escapist (owned by Defy Media) published an article "Star Citizen Controversy Reaches Boiling Point" (archive) by Liz Finnegan. That article sparked a highly inflammatory response (archive) from Chris Roberts; after which a threat of legal action by Ortwin (co-founder and media attorney for the project) followed. We all just laughed.

According to archives, the last data capture for The Escapist article was Mar 9th, 2017; and the last data capture for the CIG response, was Jan 19th, 2017. Which means that CIG pulled theirs first; months earlier.

I think everyone can agree that Chris's response was the most inflammatory and ridiculous rant so far in this whole farce. Defamation aside - and which I had vowed to sue both Chris and CIG over when the time was right - many backers (present and those who have asked for a refund) agree that it was the turning point in this discourse. It showed the sort of people we were dealing with. That aside from all the other shenanigans related to funding (the funding chart is a lie), the promises being walked back and taken away via the ToS, the many lies about the state of the project etc. Two years later, all of it has come to a head; and the time to pay the piper is fast approaching.

It's all so hilarious to me considering that (as I wrote here a few weeks ago) all of this could very well have been avoided back in 2015 when I spent my own money on legal fees to ask CIG - nicely - to do right by backers. Had they done that, most of what has played out, and which ended up being the subject of my blogs and writings, as well as on-going media fodder, would quite possibly have died down by now.

But instead, Chris foolishly decided to make this whole thing about me, Ortwin in a momentary lapse of judgment decided to pick on that one person who regards the notion of "...come at me, bro" as permission to wage war, some members of their toxic (which makes sense, considering that the previous CIG community manager, the now sidelined Ben Lesnick, is no better) community decided to wage an all-out proxy war of attrition because some guy was writing bad stuff about a frigging video game.

Now, aside from being on the verge of collapse, the whole project (not to mention the community at large) is so very toxic, that it's more of a meme, than it is a project that's worthy of note.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2017, 08:00:24 AM »
Where there's smoke, there's usually a fire. So I have started looking into this.

Basically, it recently came to my attention that Defy Media, which owns The Escapist, pulled a 2yr old, SPJ Award winning, story that was highly critical of Star Citizen, and which had prompted a highly defamatory, and legally actionable diatribe by Chris Roberts, CEO of CIG and creator of the project.

I wrote a brief about it on Fri; but I am hearing that there is more to this than just two sides agreeing to take down their articles. So, naturally, I have started digging.

Note that there are no lawsuits, court orders, or anything of the sort which would have prompted this. So they probably settled it somehow; as the only leverage CIG would have had, is money to outspend a small fringe media company. They really should try that shit with me.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 07:48:18 AM by dsmart »

Scruffpuff

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2017, 11:43:21 AM »
This was the first in a series of sweeps intended to reassert control over the Star Citizen narrative and minimize the ability for new potential backers to realize what a scam it is.

I'll give you three guesses as to who initiated this, and why.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk