Author Topic: Star Citizen Media Musings  (Read 592497 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen Media Musings
« Reply #1065 on: December 14, 2019, 01:48:13 PM »
Better link for the BBC Click

https://streamable.com/b4tww
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

krylite

« Reply #1066 on: December 31, 2019, 01:50:02 PM »
lol, shllizen responses to the bbc video and 3.8 previews. Larry King like safe questions. Nothing to dig out on the hundreds of millions already wasted which should be the main story. And CRobbers latest weasel clip in the interview about RDRII costing so much to make. Also on yt in the last month, one sunk cost idiot's video flying over "microtech" winter world when it's nothing FSX/Prepare3D or even CoD:IW didn't show before i.e. a flying  level with a city and snowy mountains.  :emot-lol:  How far gone these whales who sunk thousands must be to think this makes the game promised eight years ago.

gnardogjay

« Reply #1067 on: December 31, 2019, 01:59:59 PM »
I'm having fun in the alpha. not sorry.

krylite

« Reply #1068 on: December 31, 2019, 02:42:48 PM »

If you weren't a big whale and you are enjoying your time,  then you got a tech demo of their latest gimmicks, namely weather effects so many other games had covered before. There was that shooter segment, now it's a dose of Skyrim with snowstorms and city flying again like the flight simulators. Where is CRobbers going to crimp off next for the distractions as the core goals of the original game have all been dumped now and proven infeasible.  But it's never going to be a major game release to legit profits for any sustained time, and eventually ditched by the curious passerbys and forgotten.  Amazing that this ponzi has siphoned so much with an outrageous cost to demo output for this long.

jham

« Reply #1069 on: January 01, 2020, 03:54:20 PM »
I love how the backers post the GIANT fundraising numbers as if that is a success when instead it highlights the tremendous failure to produce a game.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1070 on: January 03, 2020, 12:12:47 PM »

That's great, but it also means that you're supportive of scope creep, predatory fundraising tactics, lies and fraudulent behavior etc on the part of the creators (namely Chris Roberts).
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

wiser3754

« Reply #1071 on: January 04, 2020, 12:41:33 AM »
And to top it off, backers have allowed this behaviour to thrive since the $65 Million dollar strech goal.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1072 on: January 06, 2020, 09:37:19 AM »
With the latest revelations in the Crytek v CIG lawsuit, this Eurogamer article homes in on a very crucial aspect.

CIG never switched from CryEngine to Lumberyard.

"This case has been marked by a pattern of CIG saying one thing in its public statements and another in this litigation. For example, at the outset of this case, CIG had publicly claimed it had switched to using the Lumberyard Engine for both Star Citizen and Squadron 42, but was forced to confirm during this litigation that no such switch had taken place."

So who remembers back when I wrote a lengthy blog explaining why I had caught them blatantly lying?

Dec 2016.

They basically tried to screw Crytek by claiming to have switched to a CryEngine derivative (Lumberyard) engine for a 2nd game (SQ42).

I even engaged in a lengthy discussion with one of their own devs, Ben Parry who I mentioned in that blog. And it took me mere minutes to go through their binary code to prove it. They still.kept denying it.

Now through discovery, Crytek has the truth - and that I was right all along.

CIG are bound to prove me right once again because now they have only TWO choices :

1) release SQ42 as a game mode in Star Citizen, and lose rev

A no-brainer, but it means they are forced to issue refunds to those who pre-ordered SQ42; though I doubt they will do it

2) release SQ42 as a standalone game - and owe Crytek

This is where the key aspects of the lawsuit come into play; and they could owe Crytek a massive amount of money for a 2nd license

And this is precisely why Crytek is asking for a dismissal; while CIG is opposing it simply because they want to claim that they're not in breach because SQ42 - which we now know still uses CryEngine - isn't yet released.

I imagine that now they've been caught using an unlicensed engine copy, that it still represents a material breach of the GLA they signed with Crytek. Why Crytek is opting to not pursue that now can only mean one thing: inevitable settlement talks favorable to Crytek

Never Forget how it all started back in 2016

How Ben Parry promoted a blatant lie

I particularly loved this part

Don't worry, I will never make out that any narrative is simplistic.
I fully accept that Mr Smart being wrong doesn't really affect the status of development, but if he shows up somewhere that I am, saying things that are wrong, I'm going to say that he's wrong. I try to stick to verifiables but when it comes to shoving words in the mouths of "all game developers" or "anyone in the industry" or whatever, just disagreeing with him is, effectively, a verifiable counter argument.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 12:00:25 PM by dsmart »

Greggy_D

« Reply #1073 on: January 06, 2020, 03:31:28 PM »
Robbers lying through his teeth in Dec, 2016:

"We stopped taking new builds from Crytek towards the end of 2015. So did Amazon. Because of this the core of the engine that we use is the same one that Amazon use and the switch was painless (I think it took us a day or so of two engineers on the engine team). What runs Star Citizen and Squadron 42 is our heavily modified version of the engine which we have dubbed StarEngine, just now our foundation is Lumberyard not CryEngine. None of our work was thrown away or modified. We switched the like for like parts of the engine from CryEngine to Lumberyard. All of our bespoke work from 64 bit precision, new rendering and planet tech, Item / Entity 2.0, Local Physics Grids, Zone System, Object Containers and so on were unaffected and remain unique to Star Citizen.

Going forward we will utilize the features of Lumberyard that make sense for Star Citizen. We made this choice as Amazon's and our focus is aligned in building massively online games that utilize the power of cloud computing to deliver a richer online experience than would be possible with an old fashioned single server architecture (which is what CryNetwork is).

Looking at Crytek's roadmap and Amazon's we determined that Amazon was investing in the areas we were most interested in. They are a massive company that is making serious investments into Lumberyard and AWS to support next generation online gaming. Crytek doesn't have the resources to compete with this level of investment and have never been focused on the network or online aspects of the engine in the way we or Amazon are. Because of this combined with the fact we weren't taking new builds of CryEngine we decided that Amazon would be the best partner going forward for the future of Star Citizen.

Finally there was no ulterior motive in the timing of the announcement. The deal wasn't fully finalized until after the release of 2.5 and we agreed with Amazon to announce the switch and partnership upon the release of 2.6, which would be the first release on Lumberyard and AWS. If you have been checking out our schedule updates you would know that we originally had hoped to release 2.6 at the beginning of December, not Friday the 23rd!

I hope this clears up some of the speculation I have seen. We are very excited to be partnered with Amazon and feel this move is a big win for Star Citizen and by extension everyone that has backed the project."

https://www.mmorpg.com/star-citizen/news/chris-roberts-clarifies-switch-to-amazons-lumberyard-1000042644

wiser3754

« Reply #1074 on: January 07, 2020, 05:54:31 PM »

CIG never switched from CryEngine to Lumberyard.

So who remembers back when I wrote a lengthy blog explaining why I had caught them blatantly lying?

Dec 2016.

They basically tried to screw Crytek by claiming to have switched to a CryEngine derivative (Lumberyard) engine for a 2nd game (SQ42).

I even engaged in a lengthy discussion with one of their own devs, Ben Parry who I mentioned in that blog. And it took me mere minutes to go through their binary code to prove it. They still.kept denying it.

Now through discovery, Crytek has the truth - and that I was right all along.

So if CIG are still using Cryengine, which build are they using now? Doesn't SQ42 use 64 bit positioning that Cryengine hasn't implemented yet?

N0mad

« Reply #1075 on: January 09, 2020, 10:10:50 AM »
So if CIG are still using Cryengine, which build are they using now? Doesn't SQ42 use 64 bit positioning that Cryengine hasn't implemented yet?

The suspicions we all had were that rather than start with a fresh build of Lumberyard and copy and paste all their code into the correct places, all they did was change the licence declaration at the start of all the class files from Cryengine to Lumberyard.

wiser3754

« Reply #1076 on: January 11, 2020, 05:17:05 PM »
My question still stands. Are they using Cryengine for SQ42 or both SQ42 and Star Citizen? And if they are still under the GLA doesn't it stipulate that CIG share any and all tech developed qith Crytek?

I'd figure there is alot more to make off the tech than a cash settlement or trial win. Cryengine isn't exactly favorable with alot of devs nowadays.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1077 on: January 16, 2020, 10:50:02 AM »
My question still stands. Are they using Cryengine for SQ42 or both SQ42 and Star Citizen? And if they are still under the GLA doesn't it stipulate that CIG share any and all tech developed qith Crytek?

I'd figure there is alot more to make off the tech than a cash settlement or trial win. Cryengine isn't exactly favorable with alot of devs nowadays.

They are using their custom build (Star Engine) which is a hybrid of base CE and LY. All they're doing is taking the parts of LY that they want, and merging that into SE.

wiser3754

« Reply #1078 on: January 17, 2020, 12:29:28 AM »
So Star Citizen, even up to it's latest release "build", is still using the Cryengine 3.6.4 build with it's base code unchanged. Wowsers.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1079 on: January 28, 2020, 02:11:57 PM »
So Star Citizen, even up to it's latest release "build", is still using the Cryengine 3.6.4 build with it's base code unchanged. Wowsers.

Yes. The latest court filings, besides proving that "Derek Smart Was Right", proves that they never actually switched from CE to LY.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk