Author Topic: Star Citizen Media Musings  (Read 591982 times)

Ghostmaker

Re: Star Citizen Media Articles
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2017, 10:10:08 AM »
Star Citizen - Procedural Moons - My Analysis
Interesting stuff.

30fps has, until recently, been more or less the 'standard'. Even now it's considered the minimum you want to play at. Many gamers nowadays have been encouraging devs to shoot for 60fps, and the difference IS visible (at least to my eyes).

But 15-20fps? And presumably this is on a customized work machine, not Consumer #523526's machine which may or may not be running things in the background, have different hardware, etc, etc...

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2017, 01:18:49 PM »
Star Citizen - Procedural Moons - My Analysis
Interesting stuff.

30fps has, until recently, been more or less the 'standard'. Even now it's considered the minimum you want to play at. Many gamers nowadays have been encouraging devs to shoot for 60fps, and the difference IS visible (at least to my eyes).

But 15-20fps? And presumably this is on a customized work machine, not Consumer #523526's machine which may or may not be running things in the background, have different hardware, etc, etc...

That's the thing, even in the current 2.6.3 build, the performance is horrific. Imagine what it's going to be like if/when they do roll out 3.0.

Also, speaking of bullshots. I updated the article to include the 3.0 bullshot from CitizenCon 2016. Same shit, different build.

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2017, 07:12:06 AM »
Star Citizen - The Star Killer

One day a gamer with vivid memories of playing Wing Commander back in the 1980s entered an antique store and picked up a cursed monkey paw. Whilst inspecting the curio, he absent-mindedly said to himself: “Man, those old Chris Roberts space shooters were great, but I wish he had unlimited time and money to make a game that could truly live up to his vision.” With a sinister creak, one of the fingers curled. The shop-keeper rang up the purchase, and to the aging nerd spoke two ominous words: “No refunds.”
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2017, 01:52:13 PM »
Those German Shillizens over at GameStar have a 3.0 article that's about to publish. A guy on Reddit has a write-up about it.

Like so many before it, this one also is coincidentally coming out just before Gamecom, even as 3.0 continues to remain a no-show.

I remember all the similar articles from them going back 2-3 years. Still no game.

StanTheMan

« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2017, 03:19:15 PM »
Those German Shillizens over at GameStar have a 3.0 article that's about to publish. A guy on Reddit has a write-up about it.

Like so many before it, this one also is coincidentally coming out just before Gamecom, even as 3.0 continues to remain a no-show.

I remember all the similar articles from them going back 2-3 years. Still no game.

They use the words that everything has to be perfect for CR.

Perfect Fuck up...

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2017, 04:26:27 AM »
Star Citizen was rebuilt in Amazon’s Lumberyard, and it only took a few days - Yahoo

The Shilling is in full swing ahead of GamesCom pledge drive. Someone at Yahoo! figured out a 6 month old story.  :lol:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2017, 09:38:44 AM »
Those Germans sure are the warpath

Derek Smart criticises Gamestar title story on Twitter - "Hilarious Propaganda"
Source: PC Games
17.07.2017, 08:00 AM Star Citizen and Derek Smart: It is a love story for eternity. The self-proclaimed critic in chief of Chris Robert‘s gargantuan project has spoken up again after Gamestar’s title story about the space-MMOG and condescendingly called the article in the magazine "propaganda". Star Citizen troll Derek Smart just can’t stop: On Twitter the failed developer and harsh critic of Star Citizen boss Chris Roberts has labelled the latest Gamestar title story on the space MMOG a "propaganda piece". The article ‚is a hilarious reminder oft past years, when they pulled the same shtick". "Has anyone picked up on the fact that Gamestar was not allowed to play Squadron 42 [the single-player mode of Star Citizen with infamously delayed release dates, editor’s note]? Yeah, me too", Derek Smart adds with a dash of harsh sarcasm.

And in case you missed the key highlights from that propaganda, here's a summary. It's hilarious. https://t.co/83ioj9Cdy8
— Derek Smart (@dsmart) July 15, 2017

Aside from the accusations of "propaganda" towards Gamestar and developer Cloud Imperium Games, Smart also makes fun of how Chris Robert‘s company publishes new information on the largest crowdfunding game in history: "Supporters on reddit are trying to decipher the German writings of a 154 million Dollar game they paid for."

Backers on Reddit are trying to decipher the German writings of a $154 million game they paid for. https://t.co/JtfMq8OQqZ
— Derek Smart (@dsmart) July 14, 2017

PC Games has summarized all infos from the paywall-protected Gamestar title story for you for free: Among other things, there are first details on Star Citizen’s system requirements. Furthermore, it became known that the population in the MMOG universe will consist of 90% NPCs and that Gamestar’s editorial department itself thinks of Cloud Imperium Games‘ Star Citizen team as "megalomaniac perfectionists". Lastly, the developers one again reinforce their belief that no graphics-downgrade will be necessary for Star Citizen, thanks to PC exclusivity and thus no pressure from console limitations.

A Star Citizen release is still far out and there probably won’t be a Squadron 42 release date any time soon either. Currently, Chris Roberts and his colleagues are working on Star Citizen Alpha 3.0.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2017, 04:51:12 AM »
The Space Game Packed with 160,000 star systems and a Cut-Throat, Capitalist Society

I talked to publishers about doing a fourth Elite game, but some things happened. Publishers were skeptical of space games in general because of the financial failure of Freelancer, an early 2000's game. It was delayed. It's a nice game, but in that period, they were just incredibly skeptical.
---
When we first greenlit Elite: Dangerous, there were no other major space games since Freelancer. Now, there are dozens. So, I think we've succeeded. We've brought the genre back to life. And we've proven there's quite a lot of demand for this sort of game. Yes, it's niche, but it's quite a big niche. And we've got Chris Roberts coming along now, and so many other games that look interesting. No Man's Sky, even.

Ghostmaker

« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2017, 05:00:34 AM »
The Space Game Packed with 160,000 star systems and a Cut-Throat, Capitalist Society

I talked to publishers about doing a fourth Elite game, but some things happened. Publishers were skeptical of space games in general because of the financial failure of Freelancer, an early 2000's game. It was delayed. It's a nice game, but in that period, they were just incredibly skeptical.
---
When we first greenlit Elite: Dangerous, there were no other major space games since Freelancer. Now, there are dozens. So, I think we've succeeded. We've brought the genre back to life. And we've proven there's quite a lot of demand for this sort of game. Yes, it's niche, but it's quite a big niche. And we've got Chris Roberts coming along now, and so many other games that look interesting. No Man's Sky, even.

Er, meaning no disrespect, but it seems Mr. Braben completely forgot about Eve Online...

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2017, 06:20:01 AM »
Eve isn't in the same class as those games though.

Ghostmaker

« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2017, 09:48:24 AM »
Eve isn't in the same class as those games though.
It's a space game, or at least it pretends to be.

Then again, there's a reason I never got into Eve. Years back, I had gotten my first broadband connection. Bye bye, dialup! And I decided to try an MMO. I didn't really want to play a -fantasy- MMO though, and those were infesting the market. I narrowed my choices down to City of Heroes, and Eve Online.

And then the T20 scandal hit. Needless to say, I walked BRISKLY away from Eve Online and strapped on the tights for superheroing instead.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2017, 03:32:29 PM »
Back in Oct 2012, Penny Arcade wrote this article.

Chris responded on Kickstarter:

CR here.

Almost at $500K!!! Amazing.
On the Penny Arcade article - there is always going to be people that focus on the negative / try and pull you down. Its a fact of life. Its also an old article that doesn't reflect the excitement and enthusiasm shown by the majority of the press towards Star Citizen.

What's disappointing about the article is that there was no attempt to get in touch, nor did the person who wrote it see anything other than the Gamespot live feed. There was a reason why all the other articles were so effusive. I visited a large amount of the gaming press and sat down with them one on one and gave them a demo. Which is the thing that frustrates me. I'm the only "track record" developer that has actually shown a working prototype - everything else has been either trust me I'll make a good game, or here is some concept art. That's not a knock on anyone as I know Tim, Jordan, Brian personally and I know they will deliver. I just hoped that by working for a year and putting together something that impressed not just on a crowd funding level but also compared to other AAA games that the naysayers could see that my vision was more than just rhetoric.

I've built versions of the game Star Citizen promises to be multiple times and I'm uniquely positioned to know the risks and challenges in achieving Star Citizen. Its not going to be easy. I'm sure some things will not work out the way I intend, and there will be some things that I never envisioned that become awesome features. That is always the way of development. I've spent a year doing the research and prototyping. I have a plan on how to achieve what I've laid out. I wouldn't have gotten on stage at GDC Online if I didn't think I could build Star Citizen. It may take a little longer than 24 months to deliver all the features (as precision on development timelines is always tricky this far out), but whatever happens, you as the backers will get to see the dev team's progress, play early builds and have an insight into high end development like never before!

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2017, 04:49:05 PM »
CIG has made German media their dumping ground for Star Citizen propaganda because those guys will print anything.

This was back in 2016 when procgen planets were coming in 2.7

Star Citizen – New screenshots and details for version 2.7 unveiled

This is some crazy shit:

StanTheMan

« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2017, 05:42:39 PM »
Back in Oct 2012, Penny Arcade wrote this article.

Chris responded on Kickstarter:

CR here.

Almost at $500K!!! Amazing.
On the Penny Arcade article - there is always going to be people that focus on the negative / try and pull you down. Its a fact of life. Its also an old article that doesn't reflect the excitement and enthusiasm shown by the majority of the press towards Star Citizen.

What's disappointing about the article is that there was no attempt to get in touch, nor did the person who wrote it see anything other than the Gamespot live feed. There was a reason why all the other articles were so effusive. I visited a large amount of the gaming press and sat down with them one on one and gave them a demo. Which is the thing that frustrates me. I'm the only "track record" developer that has actually shown a working prototype - everything else has been either trust me I'll make a good game, or here is some concept art. That's not a knock on anyone as I know Tim, Jordan, Brian personally and I know they will deliver. I just hoped that by working for a year and putting together something that impressed not just on a crowd funding level but also compared to other AAA games that the naysayers could see that my vision was more than just rhetoric.

I've built versions of the game Star Citizen promises to be multiple times and I'm uniquely positioned to know the risks and challenges in achieving Star Citizen. Its not going to be easy. I'm sure some things will not work out the way I intend, and there will be some things that I never envisioned that become awesome features. That is always the way of development. I've spent a year doing the research and prototyping. I have a plan on how to achieve what I've laid out. I wouldn't have gotten on stage at GDC Online if I didn't think I could build Star Citizen. It may take a little longer than 24 months to deliver all the features (as precision on development timelines is always tricky this far out), but whatever happens, you as the backers will get to see the dev team's progress, play early builds and have an insight into high end development like never before!

Very interesting.

Where is BEN KUCHERA the author now I wonder ?  it would be good to know what he did and what he thinks now.

Flashwit

« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2017, 09:19:26 AM »
CIG has made German media their dumping ground for Star Citizen propaganda because those guys will print anything.

This was back in 2016 when procgen planets were coming in 2.7

Star Citizen – New screenshots and details for version 2.7 unveiled

This is some crazy shit:

<list of ridiculous stuff>

These german publications must have been out and out lying at this point or they were just being bamboozled by being shown stuff in the editor. I don't believe they had any planetary landing/transition stuff a year ago or else they would have shown it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk