Author Topic: Star Citizen Media Musings  (Read 591614 times)

Motto

Re: Star Citizen Media Articles
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2017, 10:14:08 AM »
I think that won't fly with the backers. In August you claim 3.0 upcoming. Then you state it'll be December. Then nothing. And more nothing. Still nothing. Then, finally, a 3.0 schedule. That you miss. And miss. And miss again. And yet again. And again. And everytime you explain items not being finished because resources here and resources there and stuff to do here and bugs to do there and blah and blahblah and blahblahblah and and and...

And then, finally, the moment of truth, here is..... something completely different. The larch Squadron 42 democlip.

Me thinks the outcry from the backer community would be deafening. Loud enough to even reach the Stanton system planet moon little meteor not large enough to park a Tumbril.

The only way that CIG can survive, other than still having lots and lots of money at this very moment, is not only to produce a 3.0 build, but produce one that will meet the expectations of the backer community. It doesn't have to be magical, but at the minimum it needs to show actual progress and enhancement. Simply put, the 3.0 build needs to demonstrate that all the money and resources CIG allocated for another year really actually generated something useful. If it doesn't, there will still be a group of hardcore backers keeping the faith. However, continuous payment for that faith most likely won't happen. After a failing 3.0 build, most backers will want to see Chris put his mouth where their money went. Actually, we'll all do...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 12:30:10 PM by Motto »

N0mad

« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2017, 10:25:04 AM »
I don't disagree with anything you say. They need to release 3.0 to survive, but as we've all seen from SC fans they can be easily distracted by vague promises and videos / pictures of something shiny. If that shiny thing was a 3.0 demo without any immediate release date then they won't be happy. But distract them with a demo of Squadron 42 and they won't notice when 3.0 is further delayed.

We'll see. Derek knows but won't say yet.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2017, 10:59:55 AM »
On Aug 22nd, I will write a scoop article containing everything that I have learned thus far for GamesCom.

The issue is that everything was before this 07/28 schedule. And the outcry since that one, may cause them to change plans for GamesCom. I will know more soon because a source told me over the weekend that, basically, CIG "they don't give a shit about what some loud minority backers think, as they don't represent the greater community". Exact words btw

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 11:36:54 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2017, 11:02:52 AM »
2 or 22? I'm hoping 2, but you don't want to give Chris time to change things of course  :downs:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2017, 11:37:13 AM »
Yeah, that was a typo. Thanks for catching it.  :dance:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2017, 04:21:17 AM »
Eurogamer: Star Citizen's big alpha 3.0 release slips again

And one of the comments:

Roberts needs to keep his mouth shut and stop stating release dates for updates which he surely must know CIG could never meet. Saying that 3.0 would be ready for Xmas 2016 was ludicrous and just a bit irresponsible.

Whilst the wait is frustrating (compounded by yet another fucking buggy being shown off for us to buy) it would be nice if in one of their regular ATV videos they were more open about the struggles they're having rather than hearing about features which are a long way off to being implemented. If you've been following development, you'll know that networking and their AI system known as Subsumption have been nothing but a massive ball ache. Oh, and then there's Squadron 42 which we know nothing about at all two years since that amazing Gary Oldman trailer.

The game is expected to enter beta by the end of 2017.

Lol, absolutely no chance.

Their Gamescom show has the potential to be incredibly toxic if nothing new of note is shown. And if there's nothing shown of Squadron 42 at CitizenCon in September, I dread to think what that will do to confidence in the project.

I'm happy to wait and have my fingers crossed, but CIG are at a crossroads. If 3.0 isn't out by the end of the year and doesn't blow us away upon release, I think the project could be on a downward slope from there. I want to be proven wrong, but with each passing delay, my confidence ebbs away.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 04:25:01 AM by Motto »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2017, 04:25:10 PM »

Motto

« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2017, 04:52:07 PM »
Oh, the level of stupidity displayed by some of the fan-boys  :vince:

The best part, people talking about how good 3.0 is. How nice the improvements are, how it has laid a totally new foundation for all of SC, that now the actual coding can jumpstart SC development as never seen before and most of all, how good the new gameplay is. Based on? Some marketing videoclips that are still to be verified as actual gameplay (no ffing way)? The exclusive review of pre 3.0 by Game Star? It's like me telling the world how fantastic the new Ferrari drives and handles because I saw a camouflage picture of it in Top Gear Magazine, The North Pole edition. If they keep this up, they will pre-ejaculate everytime someone mentions Star Citizen to them.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 04:53:56 PM by Motto »

Motto

« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2017, 04:32:00 PM »
The delay even made it to MSN

StanTheMan

« Reply #99 on: August 07, 2017, 03:32:51 AM »
The delay even made it to MSN

Yes and it's another fluff piece devoid of any journalistic integrity.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

Motto

« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2017, 02:44:30 PM »
Don't you just love the answer  :lol:

I did watch the Gamescom demo. It also had one quest, just like the procedural planet video I linked, and a bunch of things that could eventually be shops if they were actually interactable. But there was no actual interaction with them - the presenter walked by and looked at them while he talked about what they would be someday. There were a few NPCs standing around that weren’t interacted with but they did bark out the occasional prerecorded lines of dialogue, probably triggered by entering a trigger volume. The presenter promised they would be populated eventually. I believe him too - that’s not something you can ship without. But it’s not in there yet, and it certainly isn’t ready for showing off. If it were, they would have shown it.

That’s the thing with these demos - I’m judging based on what they actually have in the demo, and extrapolating from that based on my years of experience. Talk is cheap. I’ve worked on enough demo builds and the resulting products to know this very well. This is exactly the sort of thing you put into a tech demo - look at our base technology, here’s what we want to happen in the future, imagine what we could do. But as an actual demo of gameplay, it’s lacking because they are still not showing several core systems. If it were to be a vertical slice, it would need to have all of these core elements in the game - shops, quests, locations, leveling up, modifying ships, equipment and stats, UI, and so on. This is not an indictment of the quality of the game itself, but it does show how far they are in the development process… and that is not all that far, given the scope of the game. This sort of demo is more indicative of being in the preproduction phase than production (i.e. when they have their [vertical slice] with all major gameplay systems working and are working to populate the game with content built on those core systems), which suggests that it will be a very long time before they can actually ship this game. This is why I said in the last post what’s important is sometimes what isn’t there, and not what is. Demos at shows are part real and part smoke and mirrors, and it’s my experience in development that helps me differentiate between the two.

If the plan is to use procedural generation to create planet surfaces, then that’s fine. It would save some time from a level design perspective at the cost of having the planetary surface areas that aren’t hand-made look generic. But the general problems with procedural generation stand - if everything is to be populated by hand, then you’re going to have a lot of planetary surface area that just isn’t very interesting because they won’t have the manpower to populate that much surface area with content. 32 million square kilometers of explorable terrain per planet isn’t very fun if you only have enough development resources (design, engineering, QA, etc.) to populate and test 300 square kilometers of it. If you populate it with procedural quests and points of interest, that content will tend to blend together because it’s generating them from a template. There’s only so much work that can be done (and paid for) before the game has to ship.

nightfire

« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2017, 03:16:55 PM »
Yes, he totally owned that Shillizen with a masterful response  :snoop:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2017, 03:38:54 PM »

Yeah, that's why I shared it. That guys is brutal.  :laugh:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk