Author Topic: Star Citizen Media Musings  (Read 591661 times)

Penny579

Re: Star Citizen Media Musings
« Reply #810 on: August 15, 2018, 12:35:11 AM »
An analysis i'd be really interested in, is how many projects leads they lost over time, while them not having finished their job. As those key positions indicate how likely they'll finish with the project. But i guess those an analysis would be hard to do.

I seem to remember early on just before or around the restructuring, maybe in 2014-2015 ish, period there were a lot of bigger names leaving.   

from what struck me about a lot of the exits then, to my untrained eye they appeared to be experts in their relative areas they were all saying similar things along the lines of.

Chris asked me to do this, I said that's mega hard to do we could do it easier ways. But Chris insisted.

Then Chris asked me to do this, I told him I'm an expert in this, what your asking is impossible, but Chris insisted.

Spent the next three months trying different approaches, trying to deliver the impossible while also working around my now previously overly complicated work.

Chris now insists I'm a clueless idiot who does not know what I'm doing due to the lack of progress on said impossible task. working at CIG become a toxic nightmare.

After months of abuse trying to complete the vision in the exact way Chris wants it, I have finally done the impossible, ok it uses a complex multi-tier kludge system, but it worked.  On presenting this to Chris he said I had to throw the whole thing out and start again .... because there was a green pixel.

I wish Chris all the best in his project no hard feelings but I feel I could do more elsewhere.

This seemed to happen in every area accept art and graphics. Some classic examples

The only way to get to a game menu was by putting on a helmet.
The FPS Camera only displaying in-game animations.
Backend server tech
Networking tech
MMO design

while not an analysis you can draw much from,  the fact the project is where it is today can't come as too much of a surprise.

I mean its revolutionary development process,
1. hire experts
2. ignore expert advice
3. Insist your own expertise is superior
4. get rid of experts after unsatisfactory results.
5. Hire graduate who listens to your superior expertise
6. AAA Results!! BDSE!!

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

DemonInvestor

« Reply #812 on: August 15, 2018, 02:36:42 PM »
@Derek
We're basically arguing about slow or fast fall. And i'm not sure it will be a fast one. As you just said bank lines and cost cutting can make you dodge the bullet. And i've seen companies dodging such bullets for a long time. Or to paraphrase and old KPMG guy - 'going concern(/bankruptcy) predictions are always answered in hindsight, and they're more easily answered then, so that people will judge you a hero or a zero, even when they couldn't have known better in your shoes'. Though clear cases exist...
The rumour about 90 days of cash, has been for me a rumour so far. And i won't exactly buy into such easily. Going concern as concept is easily understood the partly local accounting standards leading towards predictions of going concerns are more complex, yes.
But maybe you've really pieced together the whole company puzzle with the financials - i for one haven't and haven't seen a clear enough picture yet to judge a fast downfall. Though the MTD decision might change that.

As to the team - i was mostly interested in what you're actually saying with the reduction of overall experience/insight and how that can be a huge problem for (software) projects. I know it's hard to track. But you've talked a while about seemingly key personnel leaving, so i just wondered.

@Penny579
I got the feeling that was the case.
It's just the overall curiosity of how such cases play out.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #813 on: August 16, 2018, 02:00:33 PM »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

StanTheMan

« Reply #814 on: August 16, 2018, 06:25:14 PM »

I suspect this guy has had a "dirty feeling" almost as many times as Batgirl and Lesnick...

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #815 on: August 16, 2018, 06:59:09 PM »
Boy oh boy. Every year Chris has a bigger and better set of clothes to sell the faithful. Then again they arent saying much about it anymore in their scedule, you know... the one that they are failing to keep updated already. It's only been like 7 months, thats two quarters and they already are backsliding on this set of lies and false promises.

It must be good to be the Emporer, to keep all the minions in rapture over his dazzling suit.

At least it used to be.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 05:14:44 AM by dsmart »

dexatron

« Reply #817 on: August 17, 2018, 04:55:54 PM »
I guess the boys at cgmagazine didn't get the news yet...
Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #818 on: August 18, 2018, 05:15:17 AM »
I guess the boys at cgmagazine didn't get the news yet...

He's way off the mark. I just updated my post above with my comments on his article (sloppy work)

StanTheMan

« Reply #819 on: August 18, 2018, 07:03:55 AM »
Jesus, this interview

https://wccftech.com/inside-the-star-citizen-development-process-exclusive-interview/

I love these wankers that say SC brought them back to PC gaming as though that actually qualifies them as an expert or indeed a proper PC gamer....

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #820 on: August 21, 2018, 02:37:24 PM »
Latest Guard Frequency is up. This one is really good - and long. Fun starts around 21:30

https://guardfrequency.com/225

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #822 on: August 31, 2018, 06:10:48 PM »

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #823 on: September 01, 2018, 12:20:21 AM »
aWhat are they upset about. It's just another presentation with footage that they created in studio that shows the best possible grapic quality and frame rates minus any of the reality, bugs, dropouts, crashes ect.It's like paying to be lied to.

Actually...
It's not LIKE it is paying to have Robbers whisper sweet nothings in the neckbeards ears.
It IS paying to be lied to.
If you just tell us it will be OK we will keep sending you money.

It's like watching the Dr Phil show where these sad middle aged women send hundreds of thousands of dollars to their nigerian "husbands". So long as they can maintain the delusion it's all good.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #824 on: September 04, 2018, 10:28:21 AM »
Oh boy, this is sure to enrage the citizenship

In case you missed his earlier rant from 2015

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk