Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1314071 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #420 on: July 20, 2017, 06:36:37 AM »
CIG claim to have a single map, millions of km in size, populated with object entities, such as planets and moons etc, that is all accessible seamslessley, without loading screens, streaming data to the clients as you approach them. They've talked about this and shown it in numerous ATVs and other places. They've said they get real time day and night cycles because of this way they've built the game. They've said they can have planet rotation and orbits.

You seem to be suggesting they can't do what they have repeatedly said they can do. 0% probability, as you say up there, means anyone who has said they've got the ability to do it is telling a lie. Each and every time. I find it unlikely that everytime a dev on ATV has said they can do any aspect you've mentioned as being impossible, they've been telling lies. After all, they're the ones working with the modified engine, not you. How sure can you be about them having zero percent probability of achieving something they say they can, and have, achieved, when you don't have access to their cryengine base code?

Yeah because in the history of the gaming industry, devs have never lied or flat out made shit up. It's one thing to have stuff in R&D and claim to have it, than to actually implement it. If you go back to 2013, since the first version of this train-wreck, they've talked up a bunch of tech and features that either are long forgotten, or yet to be implemented. Even to this day, they're still doing it. There are no day/night cycles. No orbiting moons and planets. In fact, no planets - period.

I remember in Oct 2016 when everyone thought that the presentation being passed off as 3.0 - complete with a glitchy worm - was actual client code that was coming in Dec 2016. Then CIG came clean that it was all mostly R&D. Then they made a "Road To CitizenCon" video.

My stance hasn't changed, and I don't care what anyone says, the game they can't build the game they promised. They can make as many claims as they want, it won't change my stance.

I do not like absolutes. I'm a scientist and nothing has zero percent probability...

Common sense doesn't require scientific acumen, proof, or basis.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

mixalot

« Reply #421 on: July 20, 2017, 10:45:02 AM »
At this point in time, a lot of Backers don't actually want a game, they are paying for an "experience" and CIG know it.

Star Citizen and SQ42 are just ideas and paying for JPEGS lets you pretend you are part of a new frontier in PC gaming and can talk about being in the club.

This is the so true and so on point. It's the same reason why people come out in masses to play the lottery when it reaches >500 million. People who would never play the lotto turn out and buy a $20-$100 series of tickets because they think "hey, why not?" They know they have basically no statistical chance to win the money, but they fantasize about the 'what if'. Essentially, when they buy their lotto ticket(s), they're buying a brief 1-day euphoria where they can fantasize about what they would do with all their money if they won and look forward to the numbers being played. And that's it, no more and no less.

Roberts has done the same thing; he sold every sci-fi gamer fan his version of the space lottery with varying levels of purchasable tickets. But instead of showing the contestants how much money they can win, he shows them ATVs and YouTube videos of an equivalent promised land. A thing they can fantasize about playing if they only contribute money.

That's what keeps the project going, is the fantasies and the imagination of sci-fi fans. Roberts is a POS because he knows this and preys upon it to suck these people dry. The guy has no original creativity and everything he's shown in SC is a ripoff of some other form of existing sci-fi fandom. He's not innovative and he doesn't have a gaming "vision." He makes his money due to nostalgia and the promises he's made that he can't keep.

(Edited for spelling)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:46:38 AM by mixalot »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #422 on: July 20, 2017, 01:02:25 PM »
Just when you thought the Star Citizen saga couldn't any more ridonkulous, this is the latest JPEG that's going on sale.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/16014-Behold-The-Cyclone

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 02:30:39 PM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Narrenbart

« Reply #423 on: July 20, 2017, 01:30:24 PM »
Just when you thought the Star Citizen saga couldn't any more ridonkulous, this is the latest JPEG that's going on sale.

is this a buggy with ground to air combat missles? ... WTF

Motto

« Reply #424 on: July 20, 2017, 01:32:25 PM »
A presale. So that's in Alpha too  :D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 01:38:05 PM by Motto »

Meowz

« Reply #425 on: July 20, 2017, 01:36:03 PM »
is this even a space game anymore...?

Narrenbart

« Reply #426 on: July 20, 2017, 01:44:25 PM »
1 Buggy Model (5 Variants) for $230,- ...

Narrenbart

« Reply #427 on: July 20, 2017, 01:51:16 PM »
This really freaks me out ... they barely got a flight model to work lets just ignore the 60 different ships they have to balance now count ground to air combat in this ...

This is something that should be in an expansion 2 years after release .... I guess we can now count the days until they put planetary buildings for sale ...

They are really gonna sell every fucking asset in the store ...

Motto

« Reply #428 on: July 20, 2017, 02:14:22 PM »
Well, they have to keep everybody longing for something new. Another ship, who cares. Whoo, a buggy, that's nice.

It doesn't matter anymore. They can't pull a rabbit out of the hat again in August and the certainly can't do/top that in October. It'll be all over by December. Even all the whales can't compensate the steady loss of funding.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #429 on: July 20, 2017, 02:32:08 PM »
So of course now that they are rushing to implement moons in the upcoming 3.0 build, it makes sense that they would want to give players vehicles to drive around. There’s the Nox racer, a sort of hover bike, but today they unveiled the Cyclone, 4-wheel vehicle. Note that this is a “concept” sale. Meaning that it exists only in pictures. No model. No implementation in the game. And no guarantees that the project would still exist by the time they get around to implementing this vehicle. There are many concept ships they previously sold, and which are still not in the game in any way, shape, or forum.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #430 on: July 20, 2017, 02:45:04 PM »
Well, Goons just busted CIG again plagiarizing art. This Cyclone image is apparently using an image from Milford Sound, New Zealand

StanTheMan

« Reply #431 on: July 20, 2017, 03:27:00 PM »
CIG claim to have a single map, millions of km in size, populated with object entities, such as planets and moons etc, that is all accessible seamslessley, without loading screens, streaming data to the clients as you approach them. They've talked about this and shown it in numerous ATVs and other places. They've said they get real time day and night cycles because of this way they've built the game. They've said they can have planet rotation and orbits.

You seem to be suggesting they can't do what they have repeatedly said they can do. 0% probability, as you say up there, means anyone who has said they've got the ability to do it is telling a lie. Each and every time. I find it unlikely that everytime a dev on ATV has said they can do any aspect you've mentioned as being impossible, they've been telling lies. After all, they're the ones working with the modified engine, not you. How sure can you be about them having zero percent probability of achieving something they say they can, and have, achieved, when you don't have access to their cryengine base code?

Yeah because in the history of the gaming industry, devs have never lied or flat out made shit up. It's one thing to have stuff in R&D and claim to have it, than to actually implement it. If you go back to 2013, since the first version of this train-wreck, they've talked up a bunch of tech and features that either are long forgotten, or yet to be implemented. Even to this day, they're still doing it. There are no day/night cycles. No orbiting moons and planets. In fact, no planets - period.

I remember in Oct 2016 when everyone thought that the presentation being passed off as 3.0 - complete with a glitchy worm - was actual client code that was coming in Dec 2016. Then CIG came clean that it was all mostly R&D. Then they made a "Road To CitizenCon" video.

My stance hasn't changed, and I don't care what anyone says, the game they can't build the game they promised. They can make as many claims as they want, it won't change my stance.

I do not like absolutes. I'm a scientist and nothing has zero percent probability...

Common sense doesn't require scientific acumen, proof, or basis.

Oh an I would add that there have been key senior staff leaving CIG over the last few years who you would expect to have stayed on if CIG were doing what they claim to be doing , because working on the BDSSE is great for the CV/Resume.

Then you have younger developers sucking up to the boss, saying stupid things on camera,  because they don't know any better, they are going with the flow, being loyal, being bullish lots of reasons.

StanTheMan

« Reply #432 on: July 20, 2017, 03:31:28 PM »
This really freaks me out ... they barely got a flight model to work lets just ignore the 60 different ships they have to balance now count ground to air combat in this ...

This is something that should be in an expansion 2 years after release .... I guess we can now count the days until they put planetary buildings for sale ...

They are really gonna sell every fucking asset in the store ...

Remember we can all have tons of NPCs driving these around blowing people out of the sky whilst we explore elsewhere....it is going to be so much fun ...

StanTheMan

« Reply #433 on: July 20, 2017, 03:51:52 PM »
Well, they have to keep everybody longing for something new. Another ship, who cares. Whoo, a buggy, that's nice.

It doesn't matter anymore. They can't pull a rabbit out of the hat again in August and the certainly can't do/top that in October. It'll be all over by December. Even all the whales can't compensate the steady loss of funding.

they might only pull that rabbit out of the hat in October and publisise it in August.

Motto

« Reply #434 on: July 20, 2017, 04:23:05 PM »
Hmmm, steady loss of funding or steady loss in funding? Now I'm wondering what is correct.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk