Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1313280 times)

Serendipity

Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #1155 on: September 16, 2017, 06:58:44 AM »
3.0 to Evocati, flyable reclaimer, Squadron demo with possible vertical slice, ship sale, next profession demo? Mining probs and some fluff.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1156 on: September 16, 2017, 08:58:04 AM »
There's no chance of a general release before Citizencon now I don't think. Evocati might get their hands on it though.

A lot of the community have requested them to just release whst they have, (totally ignoring the meaning of the word 'blocker'), and it seems they have listened. They must be getting a little desperate to just get it out of the door though. It is a little embarrassing.

26 little bugs in the code, 26 little bugs. Knock one off the load, compile the code, find 64 little bugs in the code.

It's not that simple.

But it also plays into Chris's recent statements about early access. So if they're just going to ignore/hide bugs, cut stuff, then release what they have, that basically moves toward that EA goal. Though I don't see how it makes the project any less early access or not, because even in EA, you still have to decide what builds to release and which not to. e.g. the last patch I released for LoD was back in March; and I haven't released another build since then because quite a few blockers are pending as part of the major (vehicles) change that we did, as well as the UE4 parallel porting effort.

But that's the thing with early access, you're not entitled to anything because all you're doing is paying to access the game in dev, base on what the devs want to release. Star Citizen is different because technically, as I wrote here, it's been in EA since the first hangar module, except that they weren't calling it that. Also, they were the ones building up the expectations of backers - especially having raised $160M while making insurmountable promises with release dates. In EA, they don't need to do any of that. Just do regular updates letting backers know what's going on, then release a build when they think it's ready. It's no different from how internal dev works.

Problem is, they simply cannot wipe away the previous approach to the project by simply announcing that they're in EA, so no more dates, we'll release a build when it's ready etc.

The fact that they're going to now release the builds to backers in stages via Evocati, is fucking hilarious to me because I remember back when I indicated that releasing a massive game in a "staggered release" fashion was the best way to do it when dealing with public builds, Shitizens were having a field day attacking me. Oh how soon we forget.

None of this matters because the project is FUBAR anyway.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Serendipity

« Reply #1157 on: September 16, 2017, 09:09:37 AM »
The early access comment doesn't mean much at all imho, it's just clarifying that whatever they release will be added to, it's just MVP by another name.

Get a game made, get it out and iterate.

Not sure that's true for two reasons. One, it's perfectly recognisable as a video game in development and two, I don't believe it's fucked up far enough to cause catastrophic collapse.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1158 on: September 16, 2017, 09:58:02 AM »
Meanwhile over at SA:

AP:

October 2014, Cloud Imperium Games sells concept art of a spaceship for $600.

September 2017, Cloud Imperium Games gives a status update on the $600 spaceship, they haven't starting building it yet.

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #1159 on: September 16, 2017, 10:42:02 AM »
That's because they want to polish the JPEGs a little bit more... still lacks some fidelity.

StanTheMan

« Reply #1160 on: September 16, 2017, 06:59:24 PM »
The early access comment doesn't mean much at all imho, it's just clarifying that whatever they release will be added to, it's just MVP by another name.

Not sure that's true for two reasons. One, it's perfectly recognisable as a video game in development and two, I don't believe it's fucked up far enough to cause catastrophic collapse.

This is why you sound like an idiot.

An industry vet tells you something and you think your opinion matters.

It doesn't because you are not an expert and he is...

The sensible thing is to shut up and listen.

You might learn something and for free !

Serendipity

« Reply #1161 on: September 18, 2017, 01:57:18 AM »

This is an industry vet who is on record raging about burning it to the ground, calling the CEO all manner of insulting names, hating on developers, fans and executives almost every day on multiple web sites for years, self admitted to being at war and you think I should take his word for it because he's worked in the industry? This makes you think  I'm the one looking stupid?

Blindly believing someone who has been proven to be wrong over and over again when commenting about SC just because they've produced a video game in the past, now that right there is idiocy.

I question whatever I don't agree with no matter where it comes from because I'm not a group think type and like to make my mind up for myself.

nightfire

« Reply #1162 on: September 18, 2017, 02:00:12 AM »
Blindly believing someone who has been proven to be wrong over and over again when commenting about SC just because they've produced a video game in the past, now that right there is idiocy.

Amazing that you would come to this conclusion about Chris Roberts!

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #1163 on: September 18, 2017, 04:05:21 AM »
BAM Takedown!  :woop:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 04:08:30 AM by Motto »

StanTheMan

« Reply #1164 on: September 18, 2017, 08:28:37 AM »

This is an industry vet who is on record raging about burning it to the ground, calling the CEO all manner of insulting names, hating on developers, fans and executives almost every day on multiple web sites for years, self admitted to being at war and you think I should take his word for it because he's worked in the industry? This makes you think  I'm the one looking stupid?

I question whatever I don't agree with no matter where it comes from because I'm not a group think type and like to make my mind up for myself.

You compound your stupid positions with more idiotic comments.

You could be right about all the above and it would still be the intelligent thing to do to listen to Derek and not the little voices in your own head.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1165 on: September 18, 2017, 10:09:35 AM »
BAM Takedown!  :woop:

I thought the "has been proven to be wrong over and over again when commenting about SC" part was a nice touch to the delusion.  :lol:

Orgetorix

« Reply #1166 on: September 18, 2017, 07:54:02 PM »
I question whatever I don't agree with...

And that's exactly where you have failed...

“An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support. It is self sustained.” -Mahatma Gandhi
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 07:57:54 PM by Orgetorix »

Serendipity

« Reply #1167 on: September 19, 2017, 02:22:41 AM »
I question whatever I don't agree with...

And that's exactly where you have failed...

“An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support. It is self sustained.” -Mahatma Gandhi

I disagree. With you, not Ghandi. Questioning everything is part of my personality, sorry.

N0mad

« Reply #1168 on: September 19, 2017, 02:33:24 AM »
I disagree. With you, not Ghandi. Questioning everything is part of my personality, sorry.

Is coming to the wrong conclusions part of your personality as well?

Serendipity

« Reply #1169 on: September 19, 2017, 02:34:02 AM »

Is coming to the wrong conclusions part of your personality as well?

Well nobody's perfect!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk