Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1315199 times)

jwh1701

Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #1635 on: January 02, 2018, 09:04:10 AM »
Really enjoyed reading this post Derek, http://dereksmart.com/2016/12/star-citizen-irreconcilable-differences/
Bringing up all the red flags concerning they were ding a 64 bit engine to 64 positioning. I always thought that if they were heavily modifying the engine there is no way they would be able to merge into ly in a couple of days. How sad for so many backers that still believe in CIG, seems they have squandered millions on Star engine including all man hours wasted by horrific management choices from the onset.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 08:10:27 PM by jwh1701 »

Flashwit

« Reply #1636 on: January 02, 2018, 10:03:25 AM »
By the way, I did actually fire up 3.0 over the break.

First time it crashed as soon as I hit the key to get out of the wankpod.
Second time it just stayed at a black screen and I didn't even get to load into the game.
Third time was success! FPS was ranging in the 20s in Port Olisar according to nvidia's FPS counter but I did encounter only one other person while I was there.

As someone who hasn't actually played the game in years, my first impression is that it's extremely user unfriendly. It took me 5 minutes just to find out where the terminal was to spawn a ship. I then fucked about in the MobiGlass for a bit to see what was in there. It went okay, but that is definitely not a great UI. Anyway, I selected some mission about getting some crap from a Starfarer (?) wreck and thus began my slog to get to the fucking thing.

It is a gigantic pain in the ass if your path is blocked by a planet or something because the non quantum engines are SO slow. After finally getting out of Crusaders shadow enough to jump to a moon near the wreck, I then had to spent many minutes more skimming over the moon at full afterburner until I could get a line to the beacon near the wreck. After my spaceman had stopped flipping out enough to grab a crate from the wreck (may or may not have been the thing I was actually there for, there was no indication) I was promptly exploded by someone else while trying to wrangle the crate into the 'cargo' area of my Aurora.

All in all, not what I would call an exhilarating experience.

jwh1701

« Reply #1637 on: January 02, 2018, 10:55:29 AM »
By the way, I did actually fire up 3.0 over the break.

First time it crashed as soon as I hit the key to get out of the wankpod.
Second time it just stayed at a black screen and I didn't even get to load into the game.
Third time was success! FPS was ranging in the 20s in Port Olisar according to nvidia's FPS counter but I did encounter only one other person while I was there.

As someone who hasn't actually played the game in years, my first impression is that it's extremely user unfriendly. It took me 5 minutes just to find out where the terminal was to spawn a ship. I then fucked about in the MobiGlass for a bit to see what was in there. It went okay, but that is definitely not a great UI. Anyway, I selected some mission about getting some crap from a Starfarer (?) wreck and thus began my slog to get to the fucking thing.

It is a gigantic pain in the ass if your path is blocked by a planet or something because the non quantum engines are SO slow. After finally getting out of Crusaders shadow enough to jump to a moon near the wreck, I then had to spent many minutes more skimming over the moon at full afterburner until I could get a line to the beacon near the wreck. After my spaceman had stopped flipping out enough to grab a crate from the wreck (may or may not have been the thing I was actually there for, there was no indication) I was promptly exploded by someone else while trying to wrangle the crate into the 'cargo' area of my Aurora.

All in all, not what I would call an exhilarating experience.

Luckily in Elite horizons this is pretty easy to figure and its not to slow to make one jump.
"It is a gigantic pain in the ass if your path is blocked by a planet or something because the non quantum engines are SO slow."

Also when planetary landings were first introduced in EH I ran into a similar mechanic till I got the hang knowing were the base was located.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 11:47:48 AM by jwh1701 »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1638 on: January 02, 2018, 11:45:09 AM »
I solved those problems decades ago in Battlecruiser 3000AD, and improved on those solutions over the years in the Universal Combat sequels.

- You can jump to a planet from anywhere at anytime
- If you want a precise location, use the Tacops orbital map, set a waypoint, jump - and the ships's AI will take you straight to that wp
- If you a random location, just jump to the planet

You can see it all in action in the 6hr stream I did back in Sept

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

ecg

« Reply #1639 on: January 02, 2018, 06:39:12 PM »
I solved those problems decades ago in Battlecruiser 3000AD,

Damn, I miss Battlecruiser 3000AD

Kyrt

« Reply #1640 on: January 02, 2018, 07:03:47 PM »
If this is a reality concerning the crytek engine I canot image what they could do to comeback.

Several possibilities sprung to mind...

throw money at the problem. Given enough time, and money, they may be able to eventually fix the issues.

Fire Chris Roberts and put a competent manager in charge

Take some time off "development" and work on patching up the engine

Throw band aid fixes at the issues and hope they work well enough to cover over the cracks and prop up the engine.

Ask for the backers support and understanding while they take a couple of years to write a custom engine which CAN handle the game

I daresay that CIG will be able to improve upon the performance when they get back after the holiday, maybe even enough to allow some semblance of testing, but when even CIG devs are stating the engine is operating beyond its limits, you have to figure its only a matter of time before the whole thing breaks. If not now, then the next time there is a major patch or the time after that. There is only so much you can do to prop up a failing engine before all those band aids come back to haunt you.

Given what Clive Johnson has stated, it seems apparent CIG need to stop work on the game  and do some serious work with the engine. That doesn't seem to likely so unless CIG get really lucky, it seems doubtful their band aid fixes will do more than mitigate the problems. Still, they might hold out for a year or two.

Meowz

« Reply #1641 on: January 02, 2018, 07:50:19 PM »
from https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/12790-4-Million-New-System-New-Ship-New-Goals

Above screenshot is part of the sc 'lore' explaining the collapse of the SynthWorld project but I think it sounds eerily similar to how another project might be described at its demise.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is a real life jab at CR and CIG by the writers. They are natorious for sneeking in hidden meanings, easter eggs and other quips that are easily missed by QA, but caught by the community. WoW has a ton of them.

David-2

« Reply #1642 on: January 02, 2018, 08:40:27 PM »
... a real life jab at CR and CIG by the writers.

Can't see why the writers would bite the hand that feeds them ... they've got to have the easiest job at CIG of all.  Writing "lore" and "backstory" with no responsibility whatsoever for designing/implementing/debugging/testing/selling/promoting - or doing anything at all worth doing, actually.

(I mean consider:  The current state of affairs represents 5-6 years of development - the "lore" to get to this point represents what?  Less than a man-month or two of effort, to be generous?  Ok, double that, call it four man-months.  Everything else they've written past this point in the past 5 years is yet-to-be-implemented scribbling.  Especially since apparently lore has nothing to do with gameplay mechanics, apparently the responsibility of someone else - not yet hired ...!)

Flashwit

« Reply #1643 on: January 03, 2018, 09:52:53 AM »
If you consider Dwarf Fortress, the lore there directly informs the gameplay. Now, while Star Citizen would not even theoretically be able to do gameplay mechanics in the same way it could definitely have features and content inspired by the lore.

The main issue being that development is so slow that any more lore at this point is like farting into the wind. The writers could describe all kinds of cool people and locations but what's the point? It's been 6 years and all we've got is one half-assed corporate star system which doesn't present much of interest. I think there's like 2 named NPCs currently? There's already a mountain of lore and history that might as well have not even been written.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1644 on: January 05, 2018, 04:04:06 PM »
New schedule report is up. 3.1 coming end of March.  :lol:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/Schedule-report-05012018
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #1645 on: January 05, 2018, 05:10:54 PM »
Hold on now, my toilet paper printer is  fubar right now.

DemonInvestor

« Reply #1646 on: January 05, 2018, 06:37:29 PM »

What economy are they're talking about?
They're not talking like ingame goods, right? I mean so far there doesn't seem to be much to really balance stuff?

:vince: Object Container Streaming already in September, damn that speed is amazin'!
No but honestly, didn't they like say it would be in 3.0 ?

StanTheMan

« Reply #1647 on: January 05, 2018, 08:29:49 PM »
I love the fact that 3.1 etc are now just excuses for releasing any old shit.

Our new delivery schedule is based on dates rather than features and allows for more flexibility in development.

With the release of Alpha 3.1 planned for late March, our aim is to deliver new releases quarterly, going forward. We have a lot of content and enhancements planned to roll out this year, so be sure to check out our Production Update for more details.
http://mailchi.mp/cloudimperiumgames/procedural-cities-and-the-anniversary-special-schedule-140721?e=bd96992ea1
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 08:32:13 PM by StanTheMan »

krylite

« Reply #1648 on: January 06, 2018, 12:40:09 AM »

I just read it and the bs spouted in that note was nauseating. How much longer can they keep this farce going? CodIW and ME: Andromeda, even the updated NMS, have already made whatever SC ends up being obsolete and irrelevant. Anyone still "backing" CIG-arrets(arrests) is just feeding CR and his gang's cashcow flow. Just let it die already. The next "bdsse" should be by Frontier (upgraded ED) or some other entity with a modicum of integrity.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 12:50:13 AM by krylite »

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #1649 on: January 06, 2018, 01:46:42 AM »
I just read it and the bs spouted in that note was nauseating. How much longer can they keep this farce going? CodIW and ME: Andromeda, even the updated NMS, have already made whatever SC ends up being obsolete and irrelevant. Anyone still "backing" CIG-arrets(arrests) is just feeding CR and his gang's cashcow flow. Just let it die already. The next "bdsse" should be by Frontier (upgraded ED) or some other entity with a modicum of integrity.

X4 might wipe the floor with Mini-PU this year. Egosoft is known for questionable software quality on release day, but they are quicker than CIG in fixing it up.

Did you know that CIG completely removed Area 18 from Pre-Alpha 3.0?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk