Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1314644 times)

Lir

Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2016, 02:35:40 PM »

Actually, according to Chris, it's already done...    Lol, of course the reality of the situation is another matter.

Wait a minute Chris, according to gamescon you were 'hoping' to have both 2.6 AND 3.0 out before the end of the year...

Lol.

According to me and many others Chris is a liar.

Narrenbart

« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2016, 06:31:40 PM »
More than four years into development Star Citizen changes game engine

http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/23/14062698/star-citizen-amazon-game-engine

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/12/24/star-citizen-has-changed-game-engines

And discuss...
Taken from
https://www.cryengine.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=133275&start=105

For those that may be interested, here's a longer synopsis I sent to a colleague that asked about Lumberyard:

It's 99.9% full CryEngine source at this point. The main differences are:

1) They reorganized a lot of the "features" to break them down into "Gems", which makes the base messier to work with and currently adds additional complexity that really isn't needed - like breaking the "Lightning Arc" entity out as an individual gem, for example, which you can pick during project creation.
2) The networking layer is completely replaced. The new one has less latency, but also increases bandwidth (doesn't use the network compression system), and still transfers all data to all clients, so it will not scale.
3) Scaleform/Flash is removed - they have their own simplistic UI system currently - very basic stuff.
4) Steam integration has been removed (see paragraph below)
5) Crytek's lobby system is removed
6) Some experimental features like Segmented Worlds have been completely removed
7) I like the way they are trying to make the initial development more project focused - create a project, pick the gems you want to use, etc., but right now it's a little confusing and they need to clean it up - feels very "hacked" in currently
8) Not open source - you can't distribute any source code modification you make - DLLs should be fine from what I read in the EULA
9) All current CE limitations are still in place - memory restrictions, map size restrictions, AI system, and so forth.
10) You get full source for everything - Launchers, editor (Sandbox), and shaders included.

The biggest downside is anything that requires a network server is locked into the AWS services. The exception is if you host the servers yourself, in your own datacenter, then that's fine, but very few people/companies will be willing to do that. Any Web APIs or services that would compete with an AWS service is not allowed. This means that you can't use Steam's ladderboards, achievements, messaging, storage, or anything like that because AWS has a competing service in place - it's why Steam integration appears to have been removed. You can sell the game on Steam, just not integrate with any back-end Steam services. So, for a single-player game you still need to use AWS' services for those if you want them.

If any of the above is incorrect, I apologize, and please correct me.

Lumberyard is based on Cry3.8 but what I read from CIG is that they've butchered the sourcecode and picked the gems out of it to include it in their Frankenengine.
This is a little in conflict with the Lumberyard TOS that forbids to butcher their sourcecode for an own engine, Amazon didn't pay $50mil and countless manhours for some wannabe developer to implement it in their own engine.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 06:38:25 PM by Narrenbart »

Narrenbart

« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2016, 07:09:49 PM »
oh and ...
GCE vs AWS in 2016: Why you shouldn’t use Amazon
https://thehftguy.com/2016/06/15/gce-vs-aws-in-2016-why-you-should-never-use-amazon/

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #108 on: December 28, 2016, 06:09:43 AM »
My latest in-depth blog, Irreconcilable Differences, about Star Citizen's recent switch to Amazon's Lumberyard engine is live. Enjoy.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2017, 07:50:05 AM »
Someone did an analysis of the Star Citizen 2.6 netcode. It's not pretty.

Ho Lee Crap!

« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 08:05:47 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2017, 06:14:12 PM »
So the first newsletter of the year is up. So 2017 is all about SQ42 and 3.0. Again. And no mention of 4.0 (which was coming end of 2017) anymore.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

Darklegend1

« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2017, 11:13:44 PM »
this is the height of incompetency, CIG still havent updated the schedule page. what a bummer i think they wont update the page about 3.0 but will buy some days off by showing schedule for 2.6.1 minor patch. That way backers will think ok something is happening .. :laugh:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2017, 05:46:44 AM »
this is the height of incompetency, CIG still havent updated the schedule page. what a bummer i think they wont update the page about 3.0 but will buy some days off by showing schedule for 2.6.1 minor patch. That way backers will think ok something is happening .. :laugh:

Well, take a look at the newsletter that went out yesterday. Same crap as before. Now they're saying 3.0 and SQ42 in 2017. I can't wait to see the schedule; if they ever update it.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2017, 06:21:15 AM »

Narrenbart

« Reply #115 on: January 08, 2017, 11:30:26 AM »
And their founding counter peaks everytime they announce dreams, do a schedule for a minor patch and .... post a rendered image of a planet ... Dreams are happening here Dreams!
And if all this breaks apart Chris will have his 4 mocap studios, Cars and nice Furniture because he decoupled them from CIG.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2017, 12:42:31 PM »
I think by now everyone knows that it's bullshit and being padded. Not even Shitizens believe that it's accurate.

As I said on Twitter earlier today, I can't wait to see how CIG/RSI explain to backers why SQ42 is part of Star Citizen via a menu (like AC and Star Marine). tbh, it's a good idea cuz SQ42 was always standalone anyway. they just have to disable network parts & run it like the single-player hangar. Or they could retain networking, host it like AC/SM and bring back co-op play. that would require refactoring the missions though.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, despite SQ42 being single-player and having been split from SC as a separate game, some are acting as if this would be normal if true. Mind blown.

In fact, they're thinking that just because it's just a menu option, that's it's the same thing. This despite the fact that it looks like it's going to be "just another game mode" like AC and SM.

Anyway, they've also now started scaling back on stuff that subs were supposed to be paying for. Now RTV has also been refactored. Say welcome to Happy Hour! I kid you not.

Meanwhile, over there.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 01:42:17 PM by dsmart »

Stan

« Reply #117 on: January 10, 2017, 05:21:28 PM »
And the gaming press are silent on these things and continue to prove SC with free coverage of how much $$$ they have conned.

Darklegend1

« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2017, 01:40:30 AM »

Meanwhile, over there.

Hey DS, according to the thread on reddit. they are saying ATV and 10 for the chairman are dead!! is it true

and if its true then its an onset of something bad as CR has started to officially avoid showing his face and make false statements in front of camera to reduce his legal liabilities.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2017, 04:10:16 PM »
104TC has been dead for months now. And yes, ATV is dead now too; and has been replaced with a Happy Hour.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk