Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1384299 times)

jwh1701

Re: Star Citizen - General
« Reply #1935 on: March 31, 2018, 07:22:50 PM »
Those SC players are completely ungrateful!  CIG finally adds a viable game mechanic - cooldown period for a ship death with an expedite feature - and nothing but bitching about it!

:emot-lol: so true.

Noztra

« Reply #1936 on: April 01, 2018, 08:23:09 AM »
I like their priorities.

You have 0 gameplay, no core features are functional, but you are working on procedural cuisine and doing an entire show about it.

If everything is important, nothing is important.

StanTheMan

« Reply #1937 on: April 01, 2018, 12:05:37 PM »
I like their priorities.

You have 0 gameplay, no core features are functional, but you are working on procedural cuisine and doing an entire show about it.

When you eat different foods you shit different shit...that is going to affect your ability to fly etc too..

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1938 on: April 01, 2018, 12:43:22 PM »

It's clear that none of those chucklefucks have ever developed an MMO.

Who fuck is going to pay aUEC (which I believe can also be bought for cash), THEN wait 47 fucking mins for their chariot?

« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 08:09:11 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #1939 on: April 01, 2018, 12:51:26 PM »
Thats awesome, they get to charge you again to play the game you paid through the nose to play. Genius...

DemonInvestor

« Reply #1940 on: April 01, 2018, 12:51:54 PM »
I like their priorities.

Not impressed as long as he isn't going for voxel based eating together with that  :emot-smuggo:

Then again isn't that most likely an aprils fool joke?

helimoth

« Reply #1941 on: April 02, 2018, 03:55:24 AM »
blatantly trying to force people to buy multiple ships. chris is making it very clear here that his speeches in the past about not needing higher tier packages with lots of ships was an absolute crock. I have a feeling that this will be tip of the iceberg and moving forward anyone who attempts to play SC without a large fleet of ships is going find themselves having a pay-to-not-wait experience very similar to that of some mobile phone game shovelware.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1942 on: April 02, 2018, 06:09:45 AM »
blatantly trying to force people to buy multiple ships. chris is making it very clear here that his speeches in the past about not needing higher tier packages with lots of ships was an absolute crock. I have a feeling that this will be tip of the iceberg and moving forward anyone who attempts to play SC without a large fleet of ships is going find themselves having a pay-to-not-wait experience very similar to that of some mobile phone game shovelware.

Yup. That's precisely what I was talking about in this Twitter thread.

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1943 on: April 02, 2018, 07:13:35 AM »
I normally won't do this, for the same reason that I stopped posting about high profile devs who have exited (with clueless interns and inexperienced people taking their place) the project. But you HAVE to read this Star Citizen job posting.

David-2

« Reply #1944 on: April 02, 2018, 08:18:59 AM »
CR learned, during his Hollywood days, that this is what he and all other managing "creatives" need to perform at their best (especially the "personal requests"):

• Performs other related duties as assigned, including some personal requests.
  • Assists in food orders for Executives during crunch times.

Annnnnd ... the backers can be happy their contributions to the BDSEE are paying for:

• Maintaining various files and filing systems for the supported attorneys.

Another thing he learned in Hollywood is to always travel with an entourage:

• International travel may be required as a part of this role

David-2

« Reply #1945 on: April 02, 2018, 08:34:38 AM »
Here's a question I've been meaning to ask: Does this game actually have a designer? Someone to think things through to make sure the end result is consistent and fun and so on?*

I mean, what's with the mobiglass on your arm - leave aside how clunky that is - there are some tasks you can apparently do only with that and some tasks you absolutely can't do with that.  How does that happen in a designed universe?

E.g., to get started you've got to run down infinite hallways to get to that big room where you can use a console to order up your ship then you find where your ship will be placed and run down more infinite hallways to get there - why not sit up in your wank pod, order a ship via the mobiglass (like calling out for a pizza, huh?), get told right away where your ship will be, and head straight there?

E.g., all ships have this set of 2 or more screens and shitloads of buttons and stuff to drive the ship with ... but can you use it to navigate to waypoints?  Apparently, no.

DS is always talking about "sunk cost fallacy" - this is another instance of it.  First they invented that ship-ordering room and all the animations and stuff involved with running around to get there and then to get to the pad.  Then much later on they pulled the mobiglass UI out of their ... minds.  But do they make it consistent with the universe they're imagining by realizing all the different ways it would be used?  Get rid of that useless room on the space station for ordering ships, get rid of all those ship consoles and let you have a more spectacular view of the galaxy?  Well, no!  They put in hundreds of man years of work into those things (which cost them millions of dollars) ... so they're sure as hell not going to get rid of that stuff!

*That was merely a rhetorical question, BTW.  I know the answer.

N0mad

« Reply #1946 on: April 02, 2018, 09:27:55 AM »
Here's a question I've been meaning to ask: Does this game actually have a designer? Someone to think things through to make sure the end result is consistent and fun and so on?

You know it all goes through Chris. All the devs mention about having Chris approve their work at some point (in slightly hushed tones). The problem is Chris is the sort of guy who prioritises his visual fidelity ("I want that pixel green, not blue") above anything actually resembling gameplay. Besides, all the gameplay design decisions are now focused on extracting more cash from the whales who are actually trying to play the game (no stealing other ships / charging expedition fees to get your ship back etc) rather than making it fun. It's not a game any more, it's a very pretty tech demo designed & marketed to persuade dim whales to buy more ships. The good thing about having Chris as the person making the design decisions is that you know who to blame when it finally collapses.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1947 on: April 02, 2018, 09:58:46 AM »
Here's a question I've been meaning to ask: Does this game actually have a designer? Someone to think things through to make sure the end result is consistent and fun and so on?*

You mean besides His Holiness, Chris Roberts? Probably not. And even so, everything would need to be run through his Vision Filter first anyway.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

Kyrt

« Reply #1949 on: April 02, 2018, 02:15:53 PM »

Short answer.....no.

Long answer...CIG have released some information of the gameplay loops and mechanics that they hope to implement.

The most involved and detailed I can recall relates to mining where they details several positions that could be filled out by the multi-crew of a mining ship. You had the pilot who would concentrate on driving the ship deep into an asteroid belt - the best ores were deeper in where the ores were more tightly packed, but that also made it more difficult to pilot through the field. You had the surveyor who determined which asteroids were the best to mine, and who located the best mining spot for ore extraction. You had the extractor who controlled lasers and mining equipment to extract as much ore as efficiently and as quickly as possible, with fewer impurities or contaminants and who switched tools depending on ore type and purity and danger. You had the refiner who took the raw ore and who refined it into purified ingots. And you had the cargo master who took those ingots and stored them.

The trouble was that it became very obvious that they were struggling to determine the associated gameplay for all of these roles, especially since CIG have hyped up multicrew a lot. Multicrew only really works if each crew member has something meaningful to do and the sad truth is....even in a game like Star Citizen or Elite, activities like Mining really only generate enough gameplay for one player. (semi)"Detailed" as it is, all of CIGs entire mining scheme could be achieved by one player. Anything else is make work, extra complexity for the same of complexity.

Looking at the rest of CIGs ideas on game design and mechanics....you do have to wonder where the fun went. Detail is all well and good, but in a game, detail MUST bend to gameplay. Too much detail is counterproductive. Too much realism is bad.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk