Author Topic: Star Citizen Scoops, Musings and Blogs  (Read 319067 times)

nightfire

Re: Star Citizen Scoops, Musings and Blogs
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2017, 12:21:14 PM »
Quote from: dsmart
I am deliberately holding back on publishing my book on this farce, hoping that I get to give it the conclusion that it deserves.

As a marketing pun, you should do something like accepting referral codes for a $5 discount on the book price and a free JPEG of the cover  :D

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2017, 03:49:36 PM »
Quote from: dsmart
I am deliberately holding back on publishing my book on this farce, hoping that I get to give it the conclusion that it deserves.

As a marketing pun, you should do something like accepting referral codes for a $5 discount on the book price and a free JPEG of the cover  :D

I could totally do that!!  :laugh:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2017, 07:09:31 AM »
My latest musing about the recently unveiled 3.0 schedule and more.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2017, 10:45:04 AM »
My latest musing is up.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
My Vblog Broadcasts
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2017, 05:50:59 AM »
May 6th, 2017

Shoutout to /u/OldSchoolCmdr/ (forum thread) on Reddit regarding his stance on Star Citizen community

https://www.pscp.tv/dsmart/1vAxRbeeRorxl

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

mixalot

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2017, 11:30:29 AM »
Star Citizen Multiplayer Instancing

That was a really interesting read. Thanks for explaining all of that.

Do you think Roberts should have originally just built a new engine from the ground up to handle the scope of his game? Sort of like the I-Novae engine? Or do you think that would have added too much time and effort? I'm still baffled as to why he chose CryEngine in the first place...is he obsessed with the graphics or something?

nightfire

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2017, 01:27:59 PM »

You may have noticed a pattern emerging as you read these Kickstarter horror stories. Famous game designer launches Kickstarter to make a game based on their most famous work. Fans of said game designer pledge every penny they have to see a new installment of their favorite game. Famous game designer bites off more than he can chew and the fans are left to suffer.

✅ Check.
✅ Check.
✅ Check.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2017, 01:30:59 PM »

That was a really interesting read. Thanks for explaining all of that.

Do you think Roberts should have originally just built a new engine from the ground up to handle the scope of his game? Sort of like the I-Novae engine? Or do you think that would have added too much time and effort? I'm still baffled as to why he chose CryEngine in the first place...is he obsessed with the graphics or something?

They should have built an engine from the ground up. At the time they started, even UE4 and Unity needed extensive customizations to build the game they wanted. That's what I was going on about in my first July 2015 blog. Heck, there is a reason that UBIsoft, EA, Activision et al, build their own custom engines.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2017, 01:32:37 PM »
I updated the article

UPDATE: Shortly after this article went live, some backers were trying to say that "building an MMO" out of Star Citizen, was the $3m stretch goal because it says:

"Citizens with appropriate packages will receive access to the Star Citizen universe with 40 star systems for persistent online play upon release."

That's the single most ridiculous thing I have ever read about this issue. People listen: "persistent online play" does not, and never did, imply that the game will be an MMO. Heck, even CIG themselves proved this point when they released Star Citizen 2.0 in Q4/15 and called it "Persistent Universe", when in fact, nothing about the game is persistent, other than player stats stored and retrieved from a database. By this definition, they are implying that games with leaderboards, stats saving, are all MMO games because they have persistent stats save/restore features. Which would make every Call Of Duty or Battlefield game an MMO. The Star Citizen universe isn't persistent. It's an instance. When the instance closes, everything shuts down. I wrote about this extensively in my Star Citizen - Condition Red blog from May 2016.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 05:55:49 AM by dsmart »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 06:28:24 PM by dsmart »

Flashwit

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2017, 11:11:11 AM »
Lol, I can't believe that people hadn't questioned it more in the first place since there's been no news about SQ42 for what seems like eons.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2017, 05:29:25 PM »
3 players + 5 Merlins = major lag

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2017, 04:50:29 AM »

What computer should I buy to play Star Citizen? - My response on Quora

UPDATE: A bunch of lunatics who think I don't have better things to do with my time, don't actually know how Quora works, and that people can ask experts direct questions.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 12:11:51 PM by dsmart »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk