Author Topic: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.  (Read 1136655 times)

helimoth

Re: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.
« Reply #855 on: August 19, 2017, 03:40:01 AM »
They must deliver ostensibly the game which they have promised and will receive nothing for delivering it.

I think this is a key point that the shitizens routinely overlook. There isn't going to be some massive injection of cash when the game is made - most people who want to pre-purchase a copy have done so. There isn't a hidden silent majority just waiting for release so they can spend another 150m, there is just the release of the game and the enormous costs associated with running an MMO.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #856 on: August 19, 2017, 05:11:20 AM »
They must deliver ostensibly the game which they have promised and will receive nothing for delivering it.

I think this is a key point that the shitizens routinely overlook. There isn't going to be some massive injection of cash when the game is made - most people who want to pre-purchase a copy have done so. There isn't a hidden silent majority just waiting for release so they can spend another 150m, there is just the release of the game and the enormous costs associated with running an MMO.

Yup. And I have pointed this out time and time again in my writings. They have completely saturated their install base because what they've been engaged in is the selling of pre-orders for a game and and DLC. The only way they're going to continue making money, is from selling JPEGs and DLC to pre-existing backers. Which is how all MMO games are monetized. Except that this will never - ever - be a "game".
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Andrew

« Reply #857 on: August 19, 2017, 04:25:43 PM »
They have completely saturated their install base because what they've been engaged in is the selling of pre-orders for a game and and DLC. The only way they're going to continue making money, is from selling JPEGs and DLC to pre-existing backers. Which is how all MMO games are monetized. Except that this will never - ever - be a "game".

Disagree on the complete saturation. There must be a significant amount of people who are holding out for a final product. I find it hard to believe that the amount of people willing to invest before the product is even close to finished is immensely higher than those who'd buy the finished item. I'd say there's at least 30-50% of their current customer base still out there waiting for them to be finished.

I agree though that they will want to (no matter if they need to) generate more income after launch. They've said from the start they'll sell UEC but promised a cap on the amount. That capping was never specified beyond "no pay to win". I expect them to do stuff there that causes outrage (like effectively selling ships after release via UEC).

Motto

« Reply #858 on: August 19, 2017, 04:33:38 PM »
They cannot keep up the current schedule. They will burn more money than they gain and when the bottom is getting close(r), they have to cut back on expenses. If word hits the street that they are cutting back it will be explained as meaning they're having serious money issues. Combine that with the 150+ million they claim to have collected and the current crap that have made for that money, and most people will back off, or out. Try getting new funding after that....

Nope, they're fucked. Big time.

Knight Solaire

« Reply #859 on: August 19, 2017, 06:01:08 PM »
They have completely saturated their install base because what they've been engaged in is the selling of pre-orders for a game and and DLC. The only way they're going to continue making money, is from selling JPEGs and DLC to pre-existing backers. Which is how all MMO games are monetized. Except that this will never - ever - be a "game".

Disagree on the complete saturation. There must be a significant amount of people who are holding out for a final product. I find it hard to believe that the amount of people willing to invest before the product is even close to finished is immensely higher than those who'd buy the finished item. I'd say there's at least 30-50% of their current customer base still out there waiting for them to be finished.

I agree though that they will want to (no matter if they need to) generate more income after launch. They've said from the start they'll sell UEC but promised a cap on the amount. That capping was never specified beyond "no pay to win". I expect them to do stuff there that causes outrage (like effectively selling ships after release via UEC).

"No pay to win."  :lol:

The whole buy ships and UEC for real money is what turned me off of SC from the very beginning. It just doesn't sit well with me that someone can shell out thousands of dollars to get every ship in the game with out even playing.

As for the future sales, it may be true that there are many more people "interested" in a finished product of SC that have not yet bought in, but those people are only going to buy it if it's a good game. They will wait for the final reviews and we all know how that's going to go...

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #860 on: August 20, 2017, 04:30:49 AM »

The space combat genre isn't that huge. Even with the 600K people who have bought some type of package, there really isn't any room to increase their sales outside of the backer base. Go look at the numbers for NMS and ED and see what I mean. I've been in this business and in this genre for almost three decades; so believe me when I tell you that they simply do NOT have room to grow. Plus, having marketed it as an MMO also presents its own set of problems. I mean, Triple A games like COD:IW, ME:A etc, all with established install bases, didn't perform as expected. So I don't see how a project which already has a very bad rep, stands any chance.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #861 on: August 20, 2017, 12:09:25 PM »
Elite Dangerous should have thought up a slightly different name. The initials crack me up all I see is ED. ED means Erectile Disfunction in some people's minds when they see those initials.

Motto

« Reply #862 on: August 20, 2017, 12:46:10 PM »
So, how 'bout this for a bright future for the space sim genre.... Mass Effect: Andromeda: No More Single-Player Updates or Content Planned

And, oh, why not, let's stroll down Memory Lane shall we.... the "demo" of the almost finished 3.0 build from, oh, now a year ago

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 01:17:46 PM by Motto »

StanTheMan

« Reply #863 on: August 20, 2017, 02:25:49 PM »
Elite Dangerous should have thought up a slightly different name. The initials crack me up all I see is ED. ED means Erectile Disfunction in some people's minds when they see those initials.

There was no need to bring up BatGirl again !

NIDTechnology

« Reply #864 on: August 20, 2017, 06:03:49 PM »
What is BatGirl in this context? I'm out of the cool kids loop. That's what happens when you get old.

And many months on, that 3.0 2016 Demo is quite clearly a scam created specifically for demonstration purposes. It was never a build of any game. Why fans put up with this level of bait and switch is now incomprehensible to me.

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #865 on: August 20, 2017, 08:52:04 PM »
Here is Batgirl. Batgirl is special.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #866 on: August 22, 2017, 02:02:52 PM »
*moved*

Quote from: Motto link=topic=76.msg2944#msg2944
Oh, I just couldn't resist. I just couldn't. Behold... my first Reddit comment ever:

The best part, my upload security question was "Shrimp Tacos"  :D

StanTheMan

« Reply #867 on: August 22, 2017, 03:18:47 PM »

She is going to have to start calling himself BatGrandma before SC sees a release.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #868 on: August 22, 2017, 03:30:34 PM »

She is going to have to start calling himself BatGrandma before SC sees a release.

Since it's never getting released, she won't have to.

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #869 on: August 22, 2017, 07:07:06 PM »
That video did not make the qualities that make Batgirl special. Watch this and you should understand...
read the comments...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk