Author Topic: 3.0 Progress Watch  (Read 148663 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: 3.0 Released To PTU
« Reply #180 on: December 09, 2017, 08:35:33 AM »
Well, it looks like after I posted about how spin locks were killing Star Citizen performance, they apparently fixed it. I am going to send them a bill.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7iieke/300_progress_watch_update_20171208/

In render mesh management, code lock contention has been optimized. Generally, frequent CPU spikes on server and client side due to spin locks have been removed. The relevant changes mention in last week’s report as in-progress have been submitted. People on the PTU have observed the effect of a degenerated "spin lock". A spin lock used to control access to a shared resource when multiple threads are trying to work on it, such as a file or a memory space. It allows for very fast resource transfer between thread, but threads waiting for the resource are consuming a huge amount of CPU while waiting. It's useful as long as each thread doesn't wait long for the resource, otherwise it becomes a huge performance drain on all CPU cores

Well, bad news. CIG didn't remove any spinlocks or sleep(1) calls in the latest patch. hence the continued hangs, crashes and performance issues. there are still 600+ spinlocks and 400+ sleep(1) calls still in this patch.

They lied. Shocking, I know.

Using IDA disassembler and Hex-Rays Decompiler, you can see this a clear as day in the current and previous versions.

There is NO fixing bad architecture and design; so I don't expect ANYTHING they do to yield ANY positive results in the short term. There will be crashes, hangs, and even worse performance issues if they ever survive (they won't) long enough to progress beyond 3 barren moons.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #181 on: December 09, 2017, 08:48:15 AM »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

nightfire

« Reply #182 on: December 09, 2017, 10:05:53 AM »
Well, bad news. CIG didn't remove any spinlocks or sleep(1) calls in the latest patch.

Thanks for the heads-up… I'm going to send my resume to CIG on Monday. I don't understand much about game development and therefore can't help with the spinlocks, but I'll be darned if I can't fix those sleep(1) calls for them.

My plan is to replace them by usleep(1) calls – because who knows what else could go wrong if the number of lines in the source code changes.

StanTheMan

« Reply #183 on: December 09, 2017, 10:29:44 AM »
wow, just look at that frame rate @ 1:07

He has an inane grin on his chops and then you look at his eyes and see the way his subconscious mind is screaming at him  ... "Eeesa compleeetta crappa -- getta a fanculo refundo !

nightfire

« Reply #184 on: December 09, 2017, 10:44:05 AM »
Sarsapilla is back with one of his 3.0 write-ups

I wake up in the wank pod, but something is... different. The screen is black- but not the black of a disconnect. The only things I can see in the room are internally-lit objects like the door controls. Everything else is a foggy, nearly-pitch-black void. My flashlight kind of makes a blob in the middle of the screen but refuses to illuminate anything- like the surfaces refuse to be lit. I begin to recall The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing and wonder if perhaps, at last, I've stumbled on the true face of Star Citizen. Then I scare the shit out of myself when I exit the wankpod and come face to face with murky, shambling NPC's just standing there staring aimlessly. Well that's just good and horrifying.

This is indeed horrifying and reminds me of some nightmares I had as a kid.

I once read in an article about neurology that there are 3 interesting effects many people experience in their dreams. The scientific reasons for these are still unknown:

1. Trying to illuminate a dark area. Light switches don't work when turning on the light in a dark room. Sometimes flashlights, candles or existing lighting might work, but will only produce a dim and useless glow which doesn't help to illuminate anything.

2. Written text is illegible. Text on signs, billboards etc. is unrecognizable or appears mirrored, upside down or otherwise obfuscated. Text may change each time one looks at it. It may also be difficult to write anything: a pen writes something else than what was intended, constant typos on computer keyboards etc.

3. Looking at oneself in the mirror. Ones own likeness appears blurred, strange or horrifying, and may look different when looking away and back into the mirror.

So I think that if CIG fails to make a smooth running MMO with Star Citizen, at least they have all the tech in place to create an epic, high-fidelity AAA space horror game. In this scenario, the old adage would even be appropriate: "it's not 1000+ bugs, it's 1000+ features"   :laugh:

StanTheMan

« Reply #185 on: December 09, 2017, 11:06:58 AM »
Sarsapilla is back with one of his 3.0 write-ups

I wake up in the wank pod, but something is... different. The screen is black- but not the black of a disconnect. The only things I can see in the room are internally-lit objects like the door controls. Everything else is a foggy, nearly-pitch-black void. My flashlight kind of makes a blob in the middle of the screen but refuses to illuminate anything- like the surfaces refuse to be lit. I begin to recall The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing and wonder if perhaps, at last, I've stumbled on the true face of Star Citizen. Then I scare the shit out of myself when I exit the wankpod and come face to face with murky, shambling NPC's just standing there staring aimlessly. Well that's just good and horrifying.

This is indeed horrifying and reminds me of some nightmares I had as a kid.

I once read in an article about neurology that there are 3 interesting effects many people experience in their dreams. The scientific reasons for these are still unknown:

1. Trying to illuminate a dark area. Light switches don't work when turning on the light in a dark room. Sometimes flashlights, candles or existing lighting might work, but will only produce a dim and useless glow which doesn't help to illuminate anything.

2. Written text is illegible. Text on signs, billboards etc. is unrecognizable or appears mirrored, upside down or otherwise obfuscated. Text may change each time one looks at it. It may also be difficult to write anything: a pen writes something else than what was intended, constant typos on computer keyboards etc.

3. Looking at oneself in the mirror. Ones own likeness appears blurred, strange or horrifying, and may look different when looking away and back into the mirror.

So I think that if CIG fails to make a smooth running MMO with Star Citizen, at least they have all the tech in place to create an epic, high-fidelity AAA space horror game. In this scenario, the old adage would even be appropriate: "it's not 1000+ bugs, it's 1000+ features"   :laugh:

and they made one of those NPCs look like Croberts ..only slimmer

David-2

« Reply #186 on: December 09, 2017, 11:26:11 AM »
@dsmart - Not sure what problem you're highlighting with that flipped Cutlass - it's got the same polygon count, the same fidelity.  What more is needed?

N0mad

« Reply #187 on: December 09, 2017, 11:28:46 AM »
@dsmart - Not sure what problem you're highlighting with that flipped Cutlass - it's got the same polygon count, the same fidelity.  What more is needed?

Looks like the guy was on the Australian servers  :laugh:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #188 on: December 09, 2017, 11:52:11 AM »
$170m and one snarky NPC

ps: These clowns think that carrying cargo containers around - manually - is the game of the future  :vince:

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #189 on: December 09, 2017, 12:38:28 PM »
I got it. Market it as everything they already did but add that the Vanduul have infected everything, even our sense of reality to the point where reality breaks. Things stutter, ships crash or time changes. Some reality shifts are deadly, others leave you with a very real sense of Deja vu.

See, now they don't need to fix anything. What one was a bunch of random bugs is now a core game  feature ;-)

N0mad

« Reply #190 on: December 09, 2017, 01:54:03 PM »
I got it. Market it as everything they already did but add that the Vanduul have infected everything, even our sense of reality to the point where reality breaks. Things stutter, ships crash or time changes. Some reality shifts are deadly, others leave you with a very real sense of Deja vu.

See, now they don't need to fix anything. What one was a bunch of random bugs is now a core game  feature ;-)

Nah, just replace the player models with a Goat and rename it Goat Citizen. Job done.

N0mad

« Reply #191 on: December 09, 2017, 01:56:28 PM »
ps: These clowns think that carrying cargo containers around - manually - is the game of the future  :vince:

This is Star Citizen where they are breaking new ground with never before seen features which no other game has. Nevermind the fact that there's a reason no other game has these features. I don't think Cargo Carrying Simulator was ever going to be a starter.

N0mad

« Reply #192 on: December 09, 2017, 01:59:36 PM »
While we're on the subject of cargo boxes:

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #193 on: December 09, 2017, 03:15:40 PM »
Wait I think I've got it! The reason why you need a buddy or an NPC (what happened to them???) in your Cutlass Black is so you can have someone open the doors for you while your hands are full, carrying boxes.

People usually don't want to hump boxes in real life, why would they want a game that makes you waste time traveling around to grab a box to bring it somewhere? Forget the game and do your wife a favor and do the shopping for her.

StanTheMan

« Reply #194 on: December 09, 2017, 06:55:05 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk