Author Topic: 3.0 Progress Watch  (Read 144946 times)

justme

Re: 3.0 Released To PTU
« Reply #225 on: December 22, 2017, 11:37:13 AM »
my system:
fx 8-core @4.2ghz, 32gb ddr3 2400 ram, gtx 960 2gb, sc on intel optane ssd (pci-e 2.0)

on a empty server i have exact 60fps (i set the limit to that),
on full server i have 30-35 fps, exept levski. there i have 25 fps.

someone in spectrum said, but i don't know if that could be true,
that AWS set the status of sc from 5 to 2. so they get a better performance.

there is a weird bug, while using the gladius models. if u enter them, the fps is
reduced minus 15-20fps. if you get out, they come back. so there is an issue with
that.

they will change server population to test stability from 30-80. my tested servers were
40 ppl, nearly everybody in a different ship, also the bigger ones.

so yes. this was a real good patch.

some others have issues. the most i know with problems are running an intel i5. they
fall down 15fps sometimes.

i think if you would tweet, that the former crytek guys in frankfurt did a good job,
they are just working on that topic they said, the community would be shocked so
damn hard :D

(checked it with r_displayport 3 and fps counter from geforce.)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 11:53:45 AM by justme »

Motto

« Reply #226 on: December 23, 2017, 04:07:48 AM »

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #227 on: December 23, 2017, 04:11:28 AM »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #228 on: December 23, 2017, 05:04:50 AM »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

StanTheMan

« Reply #230 on: December 23, 2017, 09:32:15 AM »
my system:
fx 8-core @4.2ghz, 32gb ddr3 2400 ram, gtx 960 2gb, sc on intel optane ssd (pci-e 2.0)

on a empty server i have exact 60fps (i set the limit to that),
on full server i have 30-35 fps, exept levski. there i have 25 fps.

someone in spectrum said, but i don't know if that could be true,
that AWS set the status of sc from 5 to 2. so they get a better performance.

there is a weird bug, while using the gladius models. if u enter them, the fps is
reduced minus 15-20fps. if you get out, they come back. so there is an issue with
that.

they will change server population to test stability from 30-80. my tested servers were
40 ppl, nearly everybody in a different ship, also the bigger ones.

so yes. this was a real good patch.

some others have issues. the most i know with problems are running an intel i5. they
fall down 15fps sometimes.

i think if you would tweet, that the former crytek guys in frankfurt did a good job,
they are just working on that topic they said, the community would be shocked so
damn hard :D

(checked it with r_displayport 3 and fps counter from geforce.)

You have very low standards.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #231 on: December 23, 2017, 01:13:16 PM »
Well, 3.0 has been released to live, folks. Go get it. Or not  :supaburn:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//16348-Star-Citizen-Alpha-300

nightfire

« Reply #232 on: December 23, 2017, 02:29:23 PM »

You forgot to mention your referral code  :laugh:

Greggy_D

« Reply #233 on: December 23, 2017, 06:09:12 PM »
Is this Alpha or pre-Alpha?  I'm so confused based on yesterday's "demo".

randomness

« Reply #234 on: December 23, 2017, 06:29:51 PM »

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//16348-Star-Citizen-Alpha-300

Stop shilling the game Derek, you're encroaching on the territory of people who have given up their day jobs to do that.
Your post is literally taking food off their table. :argh:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #235 on: December 25, 2017, 06:35:53 AM »
I knew croberts had balls. But I had no idea they were Platinum. I just read his latest. Wow. Not only is he blaming gamers for doing precisely the features he sold them, but also managed to blame *them* for the server issues.

That shit is never getting fixed. I wrote already that they had reached zero barrier on what they could with the game and engine.

The End

From VirtualCaptain over on SA

Just a reminder on what 3.0 promised vs delivered:

Added
Walk anywhere on planets and moons [super]1[/super]
Seamless landings [super]1[/super]
Immersive landing pad and traffic control from NPCs [super]1[/super]
Day and night cycles [super]1[/super]

Barely qualifies
Expand the Stanton System (two moons isn't much) [super]1[/super]
Cargo Transport (Couple missions, no actual profession) [super]1[/super]

Totally missing
Basic mining [super]1[/super]
Trading [super]1 2[/super]
Piracy [super]1[/super]
Mercenary [super]1[/super]
Bounty hunting [super]1 2[/super]
Diverse NPC actions [super]1[/super]
Economy driven missions [super]1[/super]
Increased mission complexity [super]1[/super]

Search "patch", "3.1", "3.2", "3.3", or "4.0" on https://starcitizentracker.github.io/ for dreams not yet shattered.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 06:55:50 AM by dsmart »

nightfire

« Reply #236 on: December 25, 2017, 10:28:28 AM »
He's basically telling all backers: if you want to be a good Shitizen, then don't bother the servers with the meaningless stuff you've bought this game for, like flying around and blowing things up. Heck, save the environment and stay at home in your wankpod, you piece of Cit.

Next, we'll see citizen self-policing and harassment of anyone on Reddit who dared to start up the game and make a politically incorrect move, such as spawning the wrong (server CPU intensive) ship or flying off in the wrong direction, thus ruining performance for everyone else. Because, remember, none of this is CIG's fault.

Oh, and don't forget: this game is supposed to be "fun"!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 10:29:59 AM by nightfire »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #237 on: December 25, 2017, 02:11:15 PM »
He's basically telling all backers: if you want to be a good Shitizen, then don't bother the servers with the meaningless stuff you've bought this game for, like flying around and blowing things up. Heck, save the environment and stay at home in your wankpod, you piece of Cit.

Next, we'll see citizen self-policing and harassment of anyone on Reddit who dared to start up the game and make a politically incorrect move, such as spawning the wrong (server CPU intensive) ship or flying off in the wrong direction, thus ruining performance for everyone else. Because, remember, none of this is CIG's fault.

Oh, and don't forget: this game is supposed to be "fun"!

Yes, that's precisely it. It's amazing to me, honestly. No Chris Roberts disaster would be complete without his legendary blame shifting

Bubba

« Reply #238 on: December 25, 2017, 02:23:00 PM »
So they didn't imagine people would try stunts that spill would load up the desync. I'm not sure I'd call it blaming the gamers. I mean it could just be that they have no idea how to do QA and, as argued previously, they had no clue how to budget for multiplayer. CR could just be expressing his surprise that players don't play the game the way he tells his developers they do.

Oh wait,  I guess that amounts to the same thing.

"Of course they'll love me taking control from them when they're flying NOE to show some pointless turret shooting meteors."

The game mechanics can only work if the players belong to the same cult.

David-2

« Reply #239 on: December 25, 2017, 03:41:56 PM »
IMO the blame shifting isn't even done well in that "performance tidbits" letter.

Consider the next to last paragraph describing the difficulty of figuring out performance issues on PCs with special reference to that it is "likely" due to the "game paging out to disk because of low memory" ...

WTF?  People have been writing desktop Windows applications to be delivered to thousands and thousands of differently configured computers for a couple of decades now - I know I have! - and we know how to do this. 

(Pro Tip:  It isn't "other apps in memory" unless one of those apps is Photoshop with a gigapixel image loaded.)

Furthermore, seeing if your appllication "is paging out to disk because of low memory" is, unlike graphics, something easily simulated in the lab with a handful of machines.

(It occurs to me that I wonder if in fact he's just trying to sell some of those Optane bundles to clueless Citizens?  You're paging to disk on your 8Gb system, dude - you need that fast logoed Optane!) 

Finally, in a performance-sensitive application you build in the telemetry in advance because you need it from the beginning - and Windows has fantastic resources for this (e.g., performance metrics and ETW, to name two things).

BTW: I think it's time for Chris to retire the word "polish" as applied to the development process.  It just isn't meaningful the way he uses it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk