Author Topic: Star Citizen Dev Progress Watch  (Read 311373 times)

wiser3754

Re: Star Citizen Dev Progress Watch
« Reply #435 on: March 29, 2019, 07:39:49 PM »
Wasn't that 2017 ArcCorp demo using both Hurston and ArcCorp art assets? And BTW who cares how good ArcCorp looks when you restricted from flying close to it due to the "Kill net" aka the no fly zone.
You can of course see Area 18. I haven't forgotten!

Motto

« Reply #436 on: March 31, 2019, 10:52:52 AM »
Quote from Reddit: The game run really good since 3.3 thank to OCS and Bind culling. I have a 8700k, 32 go ram, 2080 rtx, installed on an ssd and i play in 2K. The game run between 70 and 120 fps almost everywhere, i only drop between 45 and 60 in Lorville, Levski and the Savanna biomes when they are close to the city. Edit: Area 18 on the city planet Arccorp in 3.5 run between 45-65 with the last ptu patch and Lorville run even better now :)

Please note, these are the absolute minimum specs for SC, I guess :-)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #437 on: April 01, 2019, 01:53:33 PM »
Quote from Reddit: The game run really good since 3.3 thank to OCS and Bind culling. I have a 8700k, 32 go ram, 2080 rtx, installed on an ssd and i play in 2K. The game run between 70 and 120 fps almost everywhere, i only drop between 45 and 60 in Lorville, Levski and the Savanna biomes when they are close to the city. Edit: Area 18 on the city planet Arccorp in 3.5 run between 45-65 with the last ptu patch and Lorville run even better now :)

Please note, these are the absolute minimum specs for SC, I guess :-)

...and probably playing by himself :emot-lol:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #438 on: April 02, 2019, 03:49:04 PM »
Meanwhile, over at that $250M train wreck, they totally forgot about the fact that the much touted women (new in upcoming 3.5) character skeletons are different from the men.

The result is a tophat of lols.

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

jwh1701

« Reply #439 on: April 02, 2019, 05:11:36 PM »
Meanwhile, over at that $250M train wreck, they totally forgot about the fact that the much touted women (new in upcoming 3.5) character skeletons are different from the men.

The result is a tophat of lols.

LOL, Chris loves reworks so this good thing for micro-mangers.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #440 on: April 14, 2019, 04:19:30 AM »
3.5.0 is two weeks overdue

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #441 on: April 14, 2019, 09:11:48 AM »

wiser3754

« Reply #442 on: April 14, 2019, 04:36:47 PM »
Anyone getting the notion that maybe the engine (Lumberyard) has reached it's peak of what CIG can throw at it? Derek did write in a blog back in October that Lumberyard had approached it's peak in what you can accomplish in terms of performance effeciency when looking at the Lorville demo.

Scruffpuff

« Reply #443 on: April 15, 2019, 09:24:54 PM »
Anyone getting the notion that maybe the engine (Lumberyard) has reached it's peak of what CIG can throw at it? Derek did write in a blog back in October that Lumberyard had approached it's peak in what you can accomplish in terms of performance effeciency when looking at the Lorville demo.

I think you're right, but I also think it goes beyond that.  CIG isn't even really "throwing things at" the engine per se; they're not even developing the game properly to begin with.  It's acting as a model-viewer with the camera viewpoint hacked into the ship movements to roughly simulate what controlling a traditional game would feel like.  Roughly.  I'm not convinced the engine choice in particular was the make or break here.

When Derek wrote the blogs I think he was operating under the logic that:  assuming CIG was making the game exactly as they described, using that engine, it was doomed to fail.  And that's true.  But a real game development company would be able to leverage tricks, illusions, and optimizations to make what CIG was describing, and have it feel right and be fun, even on that engine.  A better engine would make that job easier, and of course some time has passed and technology marches on.

If CIG disappeared tomorrow and a real game development studio decided to make something similar to Star Citizen, they could find a way to make it work.  There might be a loading screen when docking.  There might be some scene transitions.  There might be some tricks and illusions for ship boarding (like what Warframe has done) but in the end, if it's fun and immersive, people will play it.  Chris Roberts has a pathological focus on whether or not something is "real" (as if anything in a game is real) and that bizarre idiosyncrasy sank this project before it even left port.

wiser3754

« Reply #444 on: April 16, 2019, 01:39:11 PM »
Derek did state in his last Youtubr video that in order to complete Star Citizen as currently pitched, CIG would need to start from scratch with a brand new, custom built engine.

Considering how bad the latest milestone PTU is especially in regards to A.I and physics and piss weak server stabilty I think Derek is dead on accurate.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #445 on: April 17, 2019, 08:16:28 AM »

Nah, it's perfectly fine. For taking screen shots.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #446 on: April 17, 2019, 08:20:11 AM »
Derek did state in his last Youtubr video that in order to complete Star Citizen as currently pitched, CIG would need to start from scratch with a brand new, custom built engine.

Considering how bad the latest milestone PTU is especially in regards to A.I and physics and piss weak server stabilty I think Derek is dead on accurate.

Right. Well, back in 2015 I did say that when they increased the scope, the project was basically dead due to the chosen engine.

DemonInvestor

« Reply #447 on: April 17, 2019, 11:51:33 AM »
Right. Well, back in 2015 I did say that when they increased the scope, the project was basically dead due to the chosen engine.

Wouldn't it be fairer to say that given the massive scope they described it was dead due to current hardware limitations? I mean it's not as if CRoberts and his descriptions would have allowed for any compromises. At least if we take the marketing talk scope at face value.

Scruffpuff

« Reply #448 on: April 17, 2019, 02:45:36 PM »
I'd get even more to the root by saying when they increased the scope, it died because Chris Roberts doesn't know how to make a game of that scope.  When you're insisting each atom in the game be represented by a voxel (not literally but it's basically his approach) then there's no engine in the world, nor hardware, that will make that work.

The irony is that even if engines and hardware caught up and made it possible, it would still be more intelligent to do it another way, and free up those resources for other uses.

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #449 on: April 17, 2019, 11:32:35 PM »
Despite 14 major issues, PTU still being a buggy mess, and the overheating mechanic suckling any possible fun out of the game so it is drier than a whale's teet.... They have released it to live.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/4/thread/star-citizen-alpha-3-5-0-live-1460999-patch-notes

Almost a month late, only 2 months till 3.6 is due. So that will no doubt be cut back and fester on the PTU for at least a month before Chris sais just push it and adds to the growing mountain of bugs on live.

I commend CIG on still selling an extraordinary amount of ships for this mess.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk